Gibson Brands Forums

Wheres the free Gibson promo stuff?

lpfan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still waiting for the free shirt. I think they ran out of cotton and had to order it to make the shirt andI think that the cotton is on backorder too and that the supplier is slow right now because they have had to layoff so many employees due to the recession the country is in or the supply ship with the cotton was hijacked by Somali pirates and is going through negotiations right now so that could be part of the delay and I think that I can make this sentence run on just a little bit longer if I add one more and I think rave.

And when is Gibson or Epiphone gooing to counteract Fender's free t-shirt if you test drive an amp campaign? I guess that they are going to wait until the Christmas holiday season before they do any promotions. Hurry up guys, we want free promotional stuff. We give you enough of our money. I already had to ask the members on this forum to help me out with spare parts because I'm giving Epiphone all my spare change right now so I can get my Goldtop out of layaway. By the way thanks again TWANG! I appreciate your generosity.

With the economy as it is' date=' it's not surprising that a lot of companies have cut back on promo items. Frankly, I'd like to get a couple of those Epi "E" stickers that you got lpfan, but I've a feeling if I asked;

"Hi, I just bought a used 2001 Dot in a generic HSC, and was wondering if I could get an Epiphone sticker to put on the case..."

...I'd probably get a reply of;

"Buy a brand new guitar and we'll talk..."

B.[/quote']

Hey Mr. B if you will send me a pm with your name and address I will send you a couple of them.

Are you reading this Epiphone and Gibson? Free stuff!!!!!

No, sorry to say they are not. I think the way to get their attention is to become famous and sell several million records. They have priorities it seems, and we lowly "Epi" owners are not it. :D (feel free to prove me wrong Gibson, I'll be here holding my breath :-& )

I don't think that they will. I have lost a lot of faith in the fact that Gibson cares about its customers. I think that they are just focusing on sales. If they would realize how stuff like this affects sales they might think otherwise. I guess their PR dept. just flat out sucks right now.

Companys like Gibson should maybe produce less 2nd and B-stock guitars for a change' date=' that could bring in some thousand dollars worth of profit for them.

I absolutely agree that companys need to treat their customers like kings! What has changed over the last 50 years? Nowadays the customer has to do everything! Nowadays you can send a broken toothbrush to get repaired, once upon a time you'd get a new Cadillac if the one you bought had a scratch in it, or whatever...

It's the same old story with the loss in quality with the Chinese epis... If no one opens his mouth and tells em that they're producing **** for the money then they'd continue to produce **** for the money!

I think the customers are too intimidated to open their mouths 'cause "it's a huge company and I'm just ONE customer" but you see, if one person isn't happy with 1 product, the chance is huge that he/she'll never buy from that company again! And nowadays with the internet and all the infos a customer can get, compare prices and so on I don't think it would be a good move for Gibson to risk their reputation because of a t-shirt and a hat! Come on! Gibson is a multi-million dollar company and they can't even spare a hat and a shirt?

Customers of this world, UNITE!! :)

JM[/quote']

world? no.

there is a saying in japan

"the customer is god"

it beats the pants off of our "the customer is always right"

they're always bowing and saying "irashaimase" really loud when someone walks in...

they'd kill for customers over there, and american companies that try to expand have trouble with the jump in customer service that's expected of them...

gibson seems to be surviving in Japan, so how's this idea...

"Treat Americans, Canadians, the British, and the Australians as you treat the Japanese" (i figure that should cover most people on this forum :))

but i really don't care about freebies, i just want an affordable, high quality product...

When I emailed Gibson they said something like this:

"We currently do not have any freebies to give out but we can inform you when we do."

I'm wondering if they will actually "inform me"...

GC

well, post what you sent them and what they replied... i'll tell you if there's any chance of them being serious... :)

All I know is that the Gibson/Epiphone Tour is coming to Las Vegas on May 5th ... and I'm going to be there!

There has better be some freebie swag for me to share with my forum brothers, or I will snap the side view mirror off the bus to raffle here! LOL

JIm

All I know is that the Gibson/Epiphone Tour is coming to Las Vegas on May 5th ... and I'm going to be there!

There has better be some freebie swag for me to share with my forum brothers' date=' or I will snap the side view mirror off the bus to raffle here! LOL

JIm[/quote']

They're supposed to be near where I live next week in New Jersey and (ready for this??) first 50 people with Gibson or Eli guitars get a free string change by a certified Gibson tech!! Woo hoo, not a setup but a string change! I bet it makes a big difference when a Gibson certified tech changes your strings. rolleye0011.gif

Me ==> anim_37.gif Gibson

I've run a graphics shop for over 15 years, let me clue you in on something: "stickers" or as we refer to them,

decals, ain't exactly "cheap". Some years ago speed part manufacturers used to include decals in the box with

your new part. Still happens to a lesser degree, but if they're in there at all, they're tiny. You get the big race

sized decals when you buy the big dollar race only parts and those are placed, (big as they are), in hopes of sponsor

checks that come through - IF YOU WIN. Printing costs, material costs, have all gone through the roof. If you've

bought a quantity of automotive paint twice you have an idea of the scales of increase. Every month. This type

of advertising also translates into screen printing of shirts. A corporation, (of national or global proportions), has

an image to uphold and hence can't just put out a crap rendering of their name. This serves only to lessen the

overall opinion of the logo and thereby the company itself. Thus better to present the logo properly, (guarded

by copyright), than to put out a large quantity of short time legible junk that does little initially and damage over

the long term as the image degrades or weathers. That being said, in large quantites, factored into advertising

budgets: it's probably a low figure but the entity doing the purchase makes the decisions as to where those shirts,

decals, lanyards, coffee cups, pens, watches, hats, etc., etc., etc., go and that is their right, they bought the stuff.

On this Gibson tour you can bet they'll be handing out stuff by the box full. You bought a concert T-shirt lately? No?

Have you priced the stuff? Many have made mention of the high pricing of the new apparrel on the Gibson site. It's

expensive; but if you've got a teenager at home you've probably already BOUGHT a $80. t-shirt. It just has some

impotent, (not a typo), name of a store that it came from on the front. "Not at my house", do you, or your does your

wife buy the kids clothes? This is all beside the point however. Last summer my family, (THREE of us), toured the DW

drum factory. They pulled a rep off the floor, he spent an hour and a half with us walking us through the place and loaded us down with swag when we left. It was a fantastic gesture and one my son will never forget, - but payed

customer service reps answering a phone, can only do what they can or have time to do, and how many calls like that

do you think they get a day? Have you noticed a Musician's Friend catalog is less frequent and now 2/3rd's the size

it used to be? This is why. In Gibson's defense I relay this final tidbit.... I purchased a Angus Young pickup at a GC in

Nashville with a credit card. Pickup wasn't in stock, so they drop shipped to my home and it came to my doorstep the

day after my return. When I checked the box the seal was broken and the hardware, (springs and screws), were missing. Pickup appeared new but had no lables designating it as an Angus Young. I went directly to the phone and called Gibson customer service and explained my problem. He put me on hold, came back on, took my number, and

told me this... he was going down to pull a new pickup outta stock, take it to assembly, test the reading in ohms and

call me back with the measurement so that I could verify the one I had in hand. 10 minutes later the guy calls me back

with the reading. At this point he gets my address and OVERNIGHTS me springs and screws in a 4" square box along

with his business card and his direct line number in case I EVER had ANY further problems. I think the shipping on it cost 'em $8.00. For that kind of attention to detail and customer service I can overlook the freebees. Don't get me wrong, promo items are great; but sometimes we forget the fact that in daily business, well, that's kinda low on

the list of important things to get done that day. BTW did you know that Jim Marshall has never given away a single

amp? Promo stuff sure, product nope. Not even a commerative edition to someone of which it was a signature model.

Zakk, KK, Slash, Lemmy, no freebees - even if you're famous and your name is on the thing. How many free guitars

has Epiphone and Gibson doled out over the years? Just some food for thought...................

Wedgie

I've run a graphics shop for over 15 years' date=' let me clue you in on something: "stickers" or as we refer to them, decals, ain't exactly "cheap". [/quote']

Neither are guitars...

I worked in the medical industry for many years. You should see the freebies these pharmasutical companies hand out! Stickers? HA! How about coffee mugs, pens that light up, water bottles, hand-wipes, shirts, frisbees, anything you can think of to get their product logo out there. They used to buy lunch for my whole office 3 times a week. They weren't doing us a favor, we were doing them a favor.

Now I know there's way more $$ in pharmasuticals but I don't think a logo sticker is too much to ask after I spend $1000+ on a guitar. And it's advertising for them, not for us. In fact Fender used to give out stickers with the purchase of one of their products (not sure if they still do).

Neither are guitars...

I worked in the medical industry for many years. You should see the freebies these pharmasutical companies hand out! Stickers? HA! How about coffee mugs' date=' pens that light up, water bottles, hand-wipes, shirts, frisbees, anything you can think of to get their product logo out there. They used to buy lunch for my whole office 3 times a week. They weren't doing us a favor, we were doing them a favor.

Now I know there's way more $$ in pharmasuticals but I don't think a logo sticker is too much to ask after I spend $1000+ on a guitar. And it's advertising for them, not for us. In fact Fender used to give out stickers with the purchase of one of their products (not sure if they still do).[/quote']

+1

Thats my point exactly. It might cost them a little to make the stickers but thats spare change compared to all the guitars, cases, etc.. that we buy. And it is free advertising too which may equal the cost of the stickers are at least decrease the costs of the stickers.

I don't think that they will. I have lost a lot of faith in the fact that Gibson cares about its customers. I think that they are just focusing on sales. If they would realize how stuff like this affects sales they might think otherwise. I guess their PR dept. just flat out sucks right now.
Honestly, how much does free stuff effect their sales?

Maybe passing things out at a trade show to people who have never heard of a company before, but at this point, who plays guitar that hasn't heard of Gibson or Epiphone?

When shopping for a guitar, in most cases the decision is down to a Fender-type or Gibson-type... from there, it's about price and availability.

Who really is going to look at a $2500 Gibson and a $1500 Carvin (or any other similar instrument for less money) and say "Well, Gibson gave me a t-shirt, so I'll pay the extra thousand."?

If they were in a low-point, where the name hadn't been seen in a decade or so, free stuff would help. But Gibson has been a constant presence for a century now.

You don't even have to be a guitar player to know the names, either... my grandfather said once "I think Fenders and Gibsons are about the best ones," and he's never touched a guitar in his life.

I've bought two Gibson in 2009, and they've never given me anything. If I had the money, I'd buy a few more.

Archived