Gibson Brands Forums

New Dot

Tom99SS

Well last week I finally got my Epi Dot that I have been looking for for awhile. Plays great, nice action and neck relief. Had to adjust the intonation a little and will replace the amber knobs with some black reflector ones.

One of the first things I did was tighten down the switch, input jack and the pots. They all where a little loose especially the input jack.

Got confirmation from support they use 500K linear for volume and 500k audio for tone. From what I can tell the pots are full size (not the old mini pots it appears) and wired moden style. My try 50's style wiring later on.

Here are a couple of pics.

Pic #1

Pic #2

Looks good. Cherry Dots seem hard to find these days.

Silly question #37956; What is "cherry"?

Looking at his first pic, it looks like a solid red. My Dot (which I've been (possibly miscorrectly) calling "cherry") has a translucent red finish (you can see the wood grain through the finish, like a Gibson SG)

Just wondering....

TIA!

Brian

Silly question #37956; What is "cherry"?

Looking at his first pic' date=' it looks like a solid red. My Dot (which I've been (possibly miscorrectly) calling "cherry") has a translucent red finish (you can see the wood grain through the finish, like a Gibson SG)

Just wondering....

TIA!

Brian[/quote']

My mistake. I thought I saw some wood grain in there. Mea culpa.

My mistake. I thought I saw some wood grain in there. Mea culpa.

No...no mistake. It's a bit hard to tell in his pix....it looks like you can see grain a bit, but it could be shadows/effects from the flash.

But...what would a Dot with the translucent red (can see woodgrain thru) be called? Would that be "cherry"?

B.

REALLY nice Dot. Originally, I had hoped for a red Dot but MF never came through with the order. For graduation I got a beautiful black Dot, I lost the gold knobs and forced a set of black speed knobs on it -looks great!!! I had to REALLY do some work on the truss rod to get the neck right but it's been great since :0)

Watch out for the output jack, that nut is almost definitely going to loosen. You might want to loosen it and put some clear nail polish on the threads (which didn't work for me) or use some plumbers tape on it (never tried but it apparently works.) I ended up having to put in a new long shaft allparts jack -once you go through that little disaster (loosening all the shafts and fishing through the f-holes) you REALLY become "one" with your guitar in almost a biblical sense :0)

How do you like the pups in it?

I've been gassin for a blonde one ever since I played one at the music store.

Just to feed your GASsing -

DotNatural.jpg

I love mine. But with guitars there is always a little "grass-is-always-greener" going on. So that cherry Dot looks pretty good to me, too. Cheers.

Just to feed your GASsing -

DotNatural.jpg

I love mine. But with guitars there is always a little "grass-is-always-greener" going on. So that cherry Dot looks pretty good to me' date=' too. Cheers.[/quote']

God! I hate it when people do that!! lol! Nice dot! I like the cherry too but for some reason the blond one feels better. I don't know why, it just does...

GC

I've posted this before' date=' but I'll take any opportunity to show it again.

Minimal work for a one of a kind look.

[img']http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww31/cscosta/Rose/00011a.jpg[/img]

I'm thinking going with the black knobs also.

Cos your Dot looks great!! I've always had a project in mind with a Vintage Sunburst Dot and seeing your's gives me some serious GAS!!!

mgm

Thanks.

It's nothing more than a custom designed pickguard and truss rod cover.

I had heard some negatives about the quality of China made Dots.

But once I had done the setup, it plays as nice as it looks.

She's definitely a keeper.

Well last week I finally got my Epi Dot that I have been looking for for awhile. Plays great' date=' nice action and neck relief. Had to adjust the intonation a little and will replace the amber knobs with some black reflector ones.

One of the first things I did was tighten down the switch, input jack and the pots. They all where a little loose especially the input jack.

Got confirmation from support they use 500K linear for volume and 500k audio for tone. From what I can tell the pots are full size (not the old mini pots it appears) and wired moden style. My try 50's style wiring later on.

Here are a couple of pics.

Pic #1

Pic #2

That Dot looks very very nice!B)

Guest icantbuyafender

:-k does the shade of the color matter?

Ive seen faded "worn" cherry finishes that look lighter and darker than youd expect normal.

for instance on the dot studio and the "faded" line of gibbys...

and then cherry for the G400 is a dark non faded translucent red finish that shows off wood grain.

both are shades of cherry i guess....

but then the SG special comes in a very RED color that gets the name cherry as well (as did the LP-100 too [-( ) even tho it is a billion shades lighter and cheekier than the translucent cherrry G400's finish :D , and the SG special is also an opaque red. #-o

so uhm...

:-k

theres an entire spectrum of cherry shades both transparent and opaque... but which is truely cherry?

the finish on my G400 is in the nighborhood of fender's midnight wine color.:-#

ohh today is just a confusing day... not my day one bit.... O:)

Archived