Gibson Brands Forums

Any thoughts on the Vox VT 50 amp?

Hello to all. I've noticed that some of you have listed the Vox VT 50 as part of your rigs, and was wondering if any of you had any thoughts or impressions that you would be willing to share.

My primary amp is, and has been a Fender Twin Reverb for a long time. However, I've got young kids in the house, and the Twin usually gets me nothing but trouble in the wee hours.

The Vox just seems cool to me. Any wisdom you could offer would be great. Thanks.

Dylan

I have the Vox ADVT30. I invariably play late at night, so I end up using headphones most of the time. I don't care much for the metal tones although sometimes they fit the mood. I spend more time using the Vox and Fender mods although I don't often use the presets, preferring my own settings. It sounds like you may either need to use headphones or use the loudness pot on the back of the Vox models.

Thanks for the quick reply. I sometimes use the Vox tonelab LE, so most of what you mentioned sounds familiar to me. You're right. I'm in need of something that has a headphone jack and and greater control over loudness in general. While the Tonelab does these things, I'm thinking that an actual amp could prove to be a multi-tool for easier travel, volume control, etc.

Thanks again. Your response was helpful.

I also had the AD30VT. Very good amp with very good settings, easy to use and a good overall sound. Like david3333 said the metal tones are ok but not to my taste really bit thin and fizzy. I found a lot of really good sounds on that amp. The lower gain settings always impressed me like the blackface, tweed and uk 70's. I also liked the 80's channel too. With the 70's channel if you maxed everything on the amp you had a marshall plexi sort of tone! The effects are very useful too. I was a fan of the Chorus and reverb settings as they sounded great for 80's rock music.

I only sold it to buy a Laney LV200 (65 Watt) hybrid amp. I wanted more power and my mate had the exact tone i wanted and it came from this amp. The only downside was i had to buy my own pedals now lol.

Id recommend it anytime.

I also use an AD series ValveTronix amp...........the modeling switch has been MUCH more useful than the effects switch..........but, I've never used many(any) effects besides reverb and occasional wah.

If you take your time and set it right, you can get a decent Twin Reverb model out of it,Along with a decent '59 Bassman model. 2 Jim Dumble models, 2 Vox's 2,Marshall vintage amps, a Peavey .

You can also get a good JCM Marshall model.......and many many more, if you just "play with it a bit".

The "power cut" dial on the back is GREAT for night time use or whenever you don't want to "disturb" anybody.

Notice, I said DECENT amp models, not PERFECT. but more than passable, unless your life depends on it.

To sum it up in a few words.......buy 1 , you'll love it.

I have the Vox AD50VT 2x12. It's a great amp with one shortcoming. It only has 2 presets to store combinations of effects and amps models. Were it not for that I would be keeping it. I recently bought a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. the Tube 60 has 12 slots to store up to 5 effects in each, including 11 stompboxes, 11 rack effects, and 12 amp models that are available in clean or overdrive. You can tweak any of the models or effects and save the current settings for recall from a floor pedal. The Tube 60 also is a dual 6L6 output true tube amp with a 12ax7 preamp for about the same money as the Vox.

Other than that, the Vox AD series are great sounding, reliable amps. You mentioned the VT series in your post. The VT's are a newer model series that have more features and I suppose more storage for custom settings. The ad copy says that you can save 8 settings of your choice and there are 66 preset settings.

I own a Vox AD50VT 2-12 (modded with 2-12" Celestion Hot-100 speakers) and an Epiphone Valve Standard. The Epi is a warm, vintage-sounding and looking tube amp, but the tone seems quite "dark". I use a Boss GE-7 graphic EQ and it just comes alive. Vox Valvetronix amps are very versatile and full of "tube" tone, as the "Valve Reactor" system incorporates a real low-wattage tube circuit, amplified by solid state. I find that a 2-12 configuration really "opens up" the sound (not "boxy" as in the single speaker 15/30/50 watt models). I recently traded in an AD100VT for the AD50VT 2-12, as they are essentially identical, with the exception of an FX loop in the 100 watter. And the 50 watter is noticably lighter than its bigger bro.

Having owned Fender, Peavey and Ampeg tube amps over a 40 year period, IMHO, it is hard to beat the warm, clean, lush tone of Vox's "Boutique Clean" (Dumble) amp emulation. A close second would be the "Black 2x12", which I find to be a little thinner. Of course, my other favorite is the "Vox AC 30" model, which has a real raw, crunchy edge.

All I know about the new VT series is that they have 22 amp models and employ an improved technology, making it even better!

Good luck in your quest...

I'm an enthusiastic supporter of Vox Valvetronix designs, although I now have mine on consignment at my local dealer. The ADxxVT series only has two switchable channels, which limits you to two switchable effects at a time. I understand that the new VTxx series has multiple combinations of preset switching available.

I recently bought a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 which is a dual 6V6 output/12ax7 preamp modeler with 400 presets. You can modify there presets or create your own and store them (up to 12) for recall from a foot pedal. That lets me get rid of my stompboxes and use one pedal with a midi input cable.

The Tube 60 is the first open back 1x12 amp I've run into lately for under $1000 (it costs $449) that has a full range sound with a nice tight low end.

Archived