Gibson Brands Forums

Can anyone give me some more info. on this epiphone super strat?

Azagthoth

Hi folks.

I picked this little number up in a pawn shop yesterday as it caught my eye.hadnt seen a guitar like this made by epiphone before,and since it played like an absolute dream i picked it up for 80 quid.

Had a good look online for info but i cant seen to identify it properly.Several models came close such as the pro models and some in the old S- range of the late 80's,but since it doesnt have the shark fin inlays on the frets i was unsure :/

Any info would be much appreciated!thanks!

James.

Snapshot_20090323_2.jpg

Snapshot_20090323_3.jpg

Snapshot_20090323_4.jpg

Snapshot_20090323_5.jpg

Snapshot_20090323.jpg

Ricochet thanks,tbh your probably quite right,do you know any more information about the 435i's?like body wood or anything?i hear that no two were quite the same,and i saw one with a floyd rose original this has more unusal trem,still a floyd though.

Memphs1978 thanks man,its a joy to play,great tuning stability,great tone off those 'I' pickups and its in incredible condition.barely a scratch on her.

Ricochet thanks' date='tbh your probably quite right,do you know any more information about the 435i's?like body wood or anything?i hear that no two were quite the same,and i saw one with a floyd rose original this has more unusal trem,still a floyd though.

[/quote']

I think they were made by Samick Korea between '89-'92, as part of the Epiphone 31-serie (435i, 635i, 935i and Pro) with the 435i being the cheapest. The more expensive models had set necks, original Floyds, carved tops, more frets and better pickups.

I reckon it has a poplar body like the rest of the series.

I think they were made by Samick Korea between '89-'92' date=' as part of the Epiphone 31-serie (435i, 635i, 935i and Pro) with the 435i being the cheapest. The more expensive models had set necks, original Floyds, carved tops, more frets and better pickups.

I reckon it has a poplar body like the rest of the series.[/quote']

Thats some brilliant information.very much appreciated.I dont suppose you know anything about the pickups or bridge?The pickups have an 'I' on both the humbucker and single coils,and the bridge im intrested in,It loosely resembles an old kahler Spyder but it has 'MFG. FLOYD ROSE PATENTS' any ideas?need a clearer pic?

I dont suppose you know anything about the pickups or bridge?The pickups have an 'I' on both the humbucker and single coils' date='and the bridge im intrested in,It loosely resembles an old kahler Spyder but it has 'MFG. FLOYD ROSE PATENTS' any ideas?need a clearer pic?[/quote']

Uhm...no. Someone else may be able to chip in with additional info.

The trem is not a Floyd, but it is F-spaced....and the bridge posts are probably about 1/16" - 1/8" narrower than what you would need for a Floyd Rose bridge. Also, the Epi lock-nuts are smaller than a Floyd set, and the screw holes dont line up...just in case you were thinking of replacing them.

Your guitar was made in 1989, Korea.

EDIT: Just read your post about the bridge having FR patents. I just replaced one on my S-500, and I didnt see any patent info on it...or any markings whatsoever. I've mostly seen these bridges on Epis, but I have seen them on a couple other budget guitars, like the Series-10 strat. The only thing "Floyd" about these trems are the fine tuners. Aside from that, it is just an F-spaced fulcrum tremolo....in theory.

Could you post a pic of the patent licencing?

The trem is not a Floyd' date=' but it is F-spaced....and the bridge posts are probably about 1/16" - 1/8" narrower than what you would need for a Floyd Rose bridge. Also, the Epi lock-nuts are smaller than a Floyd set, and the screw holes dont line up...just in case you were thinking of replacing them.

Your guitar was made in 1989, Korea.

EDIT: Just read your post about the bridge having FR patents. I just replaced one on my S-500, and I didnt see any patent info on it...or any markings whatsoever. I've mostly seen these bridges on Epis, but I have seen them on a couple other budget guitars, like the Series-10 strat. The only thing "Floyd" about these trems are the fine tuners. Aside from that, it is just an F-spaced fulcrum tremolo....in theory.

Could you post a pic of the patent licencing?[/quote']

Valuable information,appreciated,i think the only thing im considering changing is the bridge pickup to a seymour duncan,the humbucker isnt bad but slightly muddy and it would be one hell of a guitar with a better bridge pickup.

Yeah heres a picture of the patent,I wasnt sure about it as it had 'mfg floyd rose patents' and not 'licenced by floyd rose' that im used to seeing on crap imitations.the tuning stability of this bridge is fantastic i must say so i wasnt sure.

heres a pic of the patent,sorry its not overly clear but reads 'MFG.FLOYD ROSE PATENTS'

Snapshot_20090323_8.jpg

thanks for the info

Thanks for the pic. I found this on Wikipedia.

Floyd Rose Derived In order to reduce licensing cost from Floyd Rose, some manufacturers further improved their double locking trems that, despite being double locking, are no longer considered a licensed product, but are distinct relative derived from it.

Ok, its not "double locking", but the article said that Floyd Rose also owned the patent to the lock nut idea on the neck. Still not sure why mine doesnt say anything on it though....not that it matters. Mine is pretty much useless anyway, sitting in a parts bin.

Well, enjoy your guitar. Its a beauty.

Thanks for the pic. I found this on Wikipedia.

Floyd Rose Derived In order to reduce licensing cost from Floyd Rose' date=' some manufacturers further improved their double locking trems that, despite being double locking, are no longer considered a licensed product, but are distinct relative derived from it.

Ok, its not "double locking", but the article said that Floyd Rose also owned the patent to the lock nut idea on the neck. Still not sure why mine doesnt say anything on it though....not that it matters. Mine is pretty much useless anyway, sitting in a parts bin.

Well, enjoy your guitar. Its a beauty.

[/quote']

Many thanks for the info!

I actually have an Epiphone by Gibson S-500 "Lawsuit" guitar, it has a Jackson-Style neck (hence the lawsuit part), complete w/sharkfin inlays, it also has the same "Licensed by Floyd Rose" tremelo. It took me forever (5 years) to find out anything about that guitar. I guess the Epiphone "Strats" weren't very popular.

I actually have an Epiphone by Gibson S-900 "Lawsuit" guitar' date=' it has a Jackson-Style neck (hence the lawsuit part), complete w/sharkfin inlays, it also has the same "Licensed by Floyd Rose" tremelo. It took me forever (5 years) to find out anything about that guitar. I guess the Epiphone "Strats" weren't very popular.[/quote']

Yes, info on the Epi strats is very elusive.

<---- I have an S-500 with the same neck/head...only bolt-on. Funny thing is, the neck is the best part of the guitar. The rest was built with the worst parts possible...especially the laminated body. Who puts a totally great neck on a POS laminate body? ...Bafflling. I would imagine the the S-900 is built much better, given that it is a neck-thru and was the top-of-the-line strat for Epi.

Yeah the neck is outstanding.Problem is because its quite old i have problems with big bends on the 14th fret-18th fret on the d-g strings :(,the note cuts out completely,action is fine so im assuming its fretware that might be causing the problem.

I also have an ibanez rg 370 dx and a washburn d-200 pro e,and this guitar in my own humble opinion,is better than both.I love it!

Funny thing is' date=' the neck is the best part of the guitar. The rest was built with the worst parts possible...especially the laminated body. Who puts a totally great neck on a POS laminate body?

[/quote']

Because it's a lot easier to get away with than the other way round.

Build the body from MDF or any other monkey-wood and finish it off with a thick poly-coating and noone can tell. Built a neck out out of the same material and won't even tune up properly.

Because it's a lot easier to get away with than the other way round.

Build the body from MDF or any other monkey-wood and finish it off with a thick poly-coating and noone can tell. Built a neck out out of the same material and won't even tune up properly.

I understand the concept and I get your point, but it seems to me that the quality of the neck is wasted on the rest of the guitar. Obviously, the quality of a neck has to be somewhat higher than that of the rest of the guitar, or you end up with an Esteban. But these are at opposite ends of the spectrum. It's like having a Gibson neck on an LP Special.

I actually feel lucky to have a guitar with such a nice neck on it. After rebuilding it, it has become my favorite guitar, despite the monkey-wood. And since I cant find proof of any other S-500's in existance, I sometimes wonder if Epi just slapped a few of these together one year from spare parts, ala Kramer style.

Yes' date=' info on the Epi strats is very elusive.

<---- I have an S-500 with the same neck/head...only bolt-on. Funny thing is, the neck is the best part of the guitar. The rest was built with the worst parts possible...especially the laminated body. Who puts a totally great neck on a POS laminate body? ...Bafflling. I would imagine the the S-900 is built much better, given that it is a neck-thru and was the top-of-the-line strat for Epi.[/quote']Mine has a bolt-on neck too!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Through much research i have some information to share on the epiphone Pro-series super strat's.Might come in handy for someone like me who was unable to get thier hand's on a spec.

The Epiphone Pro Series proves Gibson's commitment to modern guitar design at all levels. Each instrument in the series has been researched, designed, and built with close attention to the performance details most important to working musicians.

The series consisted of the following,from low-end to high end.

Pro435i - (Spec below) This guitar marketed at around $399 at the date of release.

Pro635i - Similar spec to the Pro435i,but with a carved poplar body as opposed to 'selected hardwood',24 frets,bolt on/in Maple neck,Rosewood fretboard,Stock samick 'I' Humbucker and two single coil pickups and SOMETIMES,a better tremolo,e.g- a Floyd rose II or Schaller. The guitar came available in Red,White and Black.This guitar marketed at around $599 at date of release.

Pro935i - Very similar to 635i,24 frets,Bolt on/in Maple neck,Rosewood fretboard,Pickups were however upgraded to a Gibson L-B Humbucker in the bridge and Gibson SC-2 single coil in the neck.Normally equipped with either a schaller or floyd rose II tremolo.The guitar was available in Black or magenta.This guitar marketed at around $769

Pro - The top of the line Epiphone super strat.Carved Poplar body,Bolt on/in neck (although i have seen neck-thru variations on the USA models),24 frets (On u.s models in patic,the 24th fret had a 'pro' logo on it),Maple neck,Rosewood fretboard,Gibson L-B Humbucker in the bridge and a Gibson SC-2 singlecoil in the neck,Equiped with a schaller,floyd rose original or floyd rose II as standard.This guitar was available in White,black and red.This guitar marketed at around $950.

Above guitar,Epiphone Pro435i

Samick 'I' Produced pickups,2 single coils; 1 humbucking

Black hardware

25 1/2” scale

Rosewood fingerboard

Offset dot inlay

Bennder fine-tune tremelo

Select hardwood body

Bolt-in maple neck

E-600UL strings

Ebony, white, red

This guitar marketed at around $399.

thanks for the 635i info. i didn't know it was poplar. i know it was solid wood and was thinking alder. i have the remains of one. i could always glue it!=;

the single coil alnicos are pretty shrill next to the cheapy "designed by duncan" pickups i have. i have no idea where my bridge or humbucker went as someone remaining nameless had a cleaning fit before my last house move.

it was nice and white but had a high action i didn't like at the time and it never stayed in tune while using the wammy. it was only just a step up from the washburn g5v i had. if you ever look into the humbucker i'd love to know the magnets used or the resistance, or if you have any more info or pics i'd be a happy man, thanks.

Archived