Gibson Brands Forums

Fake Guitar Threads

duane v

kevin134 has a few good ideas to deal with all the fake guitar threads that clutter the forums. So What I'm asking of you is to post comparative info-pics and other links that will allow members to get info on whether their Epi/Gibson is a counterfeit.

Once we get all the info we will make it a sticky where all members can post their possible fake guitars and keep the discussion in the sticky, rather that all over forum.

thanks

and that'll kill a whole pile of conversation here -bad idea. Will you be starting a stcky for what pups and how to adjust/set up as well? Because that'll totally kill this place.

No one likes to be told "refer to the sticky" or "do a search" kinda screws up the whole idea of coming to a forum to "discuss" stuff. And hey, if I come to a forum and am rudely told to do a search I usually do -on google.

and that'll kill a whole pile of conversation here -bad idea. Will you be starting a stcky for what pups and how to adjust/set up as well? Because that'll totally kill this place.

No one likes to be told "refer to the sticky" or "do a search" kinda screws up the whole idea of coming to a forum to "discuss" stuff. And hey' date=' if I come to a forum and am rudely told to do a search I usually do -on google. [/quote']

Point taken. Thanks for your opinion.

No one likes to be told "refer to the sticky" or "do a search" kinda screws up the whole idea of coming to a forum to "discuss" stuff. And hey' date=' if I come to a forum and am rudely told to do a search I usually do -on google. [/quote']

Good point. But fair discussion requires basic knowledge. Some wellchosen stickies would provide a starting point for newbies and avoid annoying the old-timers. This is still a product-forum, not a social gathering.

I agree with that last point. Epiphone already have their own guide to fakes on their website. I think having a sticky for this topic opens the floodgates for more unnecessary stickys (stickies?).

If someone comes on this forum with pics of their guitar asking if it is a fake then it opens up a discussion not only about the difference between epiphone and other non-epiphone guitars but also encourages discussion about the different factories and models of certain guitars which sometimes is the reason people might be suspicous about their new guitar.

For instance, the Emperor that was on ebay recently was thought by some ebayers to be fake because the E logo was different and the specs different from the current model. It was in fact a Matsumoku model.

These threads can only encourage discussion and bring people to the forum. There's nothing worse than joining a discussion forum only to be told to trawl through hundreds of posts and links, essentially doing your own research.

I for one found the last Fake Thread very interesting:

http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=8955

Maybe a "Fakes" catagory, on it's own...like the "Lounge" is on it's own. There does seem to be a LOT

of inquiries, and information (as well as misinformation). If there was a seperate catagory, with input

from Gibson/Epiphone on all the things to look for, they could get the right answers, from "the horses mouth,"

so to speak. Be good for US to know, as well. Without any real input from Epiphone/Gibson on "Fakes"

(without having to Google search all the time) it's kind of a crap shoot, on who to trust, with "definitive"

information, you know? There are a LOT of knowledgeable people here, but there's a lot of "blind leading

the blind" too...not because I/We/They want to do that, or do it on purpose, but because we can't get the

REAL scoop, from anyone that really knows...mainly Gibson/Epiphone. Anyway...it's just a thought.

CB

I for one dislike stickies as well, to me they are an eye-sore..... And lets face it everyone wants to be a "post debutante" about their own individual issues concerning their guitars.

Though some of the ideas are pretty cool.... Keep them coming.

Another point to think about:

If we or gibby/epi will show all details of real/fake all the fake-builders will learn very fast!

Peter

Yeah, and that MAY be one reason why Gibson/Epiphone doesn't go more "public" here, with that info?

It's always a danger/possibility, I guess. BUT, all the "fakers" have to do, is get ahold of

1 real one, of each model, that they want to fake, and they have the "blueprint/working model"

for how to do it, anyway. So...???

CB

When i first came to the eppi forum i was lucky to have various epinions about my fake guitar,and as a result of that i dont mind trying to help other people out that is what makes this a good forum,people trying to help others they dont even know..so i agree with tvyelwhiteflag on this one=d>

Judging by many of the postings regarding fakes, it appears that a lot of forum members

are unaware of just how HUGE the Chinese knockoff business is - for hundreds

of products, not just guitars. There are actual shopping centers in places such as Hong

Kong that sell nothing but knockoffs. It's a worldwide phenomenon, unfortunately, yet

is an obvious result of simple suppply-and-demand economics. If you refer to the

Gibson-versus-Epiphone arguments, you'll be reminded about how important brand

identification is to a lot of egos - hence knockoffs. So, who is really to blame?

These threads are really quite ridiculous because simply buying your Epiphone from

an authorized retailer is an almost 100% guarantee of getting a genuine Epiphone. A simple

"Do Your Homework Before You Buy" sticky should suffice.

hey ron while i agree with what your saying' date='i paid$1250.00au for a gibson custom off ebay you just cant get a deal like that going to your local guitar shop,having said that i was very lucky indeed..[/quote']

But I assume you were aware of the risks before you bought it.

I for one dislike stickies as well' date=' to me they are an eye-sore..... And lets face it everyone wants to be a "post debutante" about their own individual issues concerning their guitars.

Though some of the ideas are pretty cool.... Keep them coming.[/quote']

Since I helped get this post started I'll chime in, stickies, especially as far as the fake stuff goes, are great for stuff that is a common recurring topic. rather then have the topic constantly reoccur, its at the top, easily accessible for those looking for info or to add info. I'm not talking about having 20 or so stickies at the top, but one or two with pertinent info is a good thing.

I had mixed feelings about this...at first. I do kinda get tired of the paranoia about; "I just bought an Epi and

now I wonder if...". But after reading this, and the informative past link post within, it occurs to me that I've

read everything I've ever spotted Epi/Gibson or otherwise in reguards to verifing a real deal. To make a wise purchase, one needs to be informed. If a forum can provide information to this or any other end it's being useful

to it's readership. The compairing of attributes in the process of weeding out the would-bees: helps anyone

become more aware of what to look for, especially when purchasing used guitars as many of us do. You're most

likely not gonna be purchasing from an Authorized Dealer at that point. Another reason that this has become so

important is that the practice is far more rampant than just the online trade alone. Friends it's happening in your backyard, right here, right now. A couple months ago an indoor flea market about 15 miles from my hometown,

sells booth space to sellers. One of these was a "music store" selling various new instruments. From six feet

away (hanging up on a wall behind the counter) were several Epiphone electrics, (mostly Les Paul standards).

Even to anybody that had ever SEEN an Epi they were hideous, bad clashing finishes, improper shapes, wrong

hardware locations, etc., etc. But to a first timer: the Epi seals, pick-up plastic coverings, hang tags make it look

genuine. The guy had no problem quoting a price that was right in line with GC's on a LP standard plain-top.

Where/who he came up with these things is anybody's guess, the point is that he was brazen enough to sell

them in a public area as a honest original...(in Tennessee no less). I feel as Epi owners, (and those who've been

around a bit longer), we really need to help whenever we can to ensure that future and upcoming guitarists don't

get burned by the like of Fleebags like the jerk I stumbled onto. So my vote is simply to keep on teachin' through

the use of this and similar other threads. My only regret is that I didn't call Nashville and put a bug in their ear on

that guy...but it won't happen again.

Wedgie

Happily, this forum has NEVER been one of those annoying "go do a search it's already been discussed" or "see the stickie, it's all there" places. I find those forums really annoying and condescending and I don't go back to them. This forum has always been a forum for newcomers and their green questions. By limiting talk on guitar questions you're ruining what this forum has historically been. I suggest you wait 6 months and them bring the stickie idea up again for discussion then.

Many want to be an expert fake spotters...

...but rumours and speculation always prevail.

What I find interesting is how many people there are even asking about EPI fakes. Louis Vuitton, Gibson, Rolex, yes. EPI? Please. :-k

If you bought it too cheap, something's wrong. If you paid full price and didn't buy from from EPI authorized source, then the help you need won't be found in the Epi forum.

A sticky is no help at all -- unless its 100% EPI certified specs -- and that won't happen. Besides, people will constantly post the fake questions in the regular forum anyway.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

I like the idea of an "Is it fake?" section of the forum, perhaps with a closed sticky post at the top listing some of the very common telltale signs, and it could say "if you are still uncertain or would like input from others, post a thread in this section, with as many clear photos as possible." Perhaps describe what kind of photos are helpful, and so on, so that people could post threads on thier own guitars with all the necessary photos already, instead of like most of the threads now, with an original "I think I bought a fake because I paid $399 for a new plain top standard" post followed by four posts telling the guy to post photos, and then the OP saying he will take photos when he gets home, and then he posts again saying his camera batteries are dead, but he did notice this one other thing about the guitar, and then people ask for photos of that, then he posts bad off angle pics, and people then make 8 posts describing what kind of pics are needed, and before you know it the thread is at two pages before anything has been answered.

Organized properly, a "fakes" section could be very beneficial to the board. JMO and all...

I like the idea of an "Is it fake?" section of the forum' date=' perhaps with a closed sticky post at the top listing some of the very common telltale signs, and it could say "if you are still uncertain or would like input from others, post a thread in this section, with as many clear photos as possible." Perhaps describe what kind of photos are helpful, and so on, so that people could post threads on thier own guitars with all the necessary photos already, instead of like most of the threads now, with an original "I think I bought a fake because I paid $399 for a new plain top standard" post followed by four posts telling the guy to post photos, and then the OP saying he will take photos when he gets home, and then he posts again saying his camera batteries are dead, but he did notice this one other thing about the guitar, and then people ask for photos of that, then he posts bad off angle pics, and people then make 8 posts describing what kind of pics are needed, and before you know it the thread is at two pages before anything has been answered.

Organized properly, a "fakes" section could be very beneficial to the board. JMO and all...[/quote']

that is what I am talking about right there.. couldn't agree more..

Archived