Gibson Brands Forums

Fake Guitar Threads

duane v

Happily' date=' this forum has NEVER been one of those annoying "go do a search it's already been discussed" or "see the stickie, it's all there" places. I find those forums really annoying and condescending and I don't go back to them. This forum has always been a forum for newcomers and their green questions. By limiting talk on guitar questions you're ruining what this forum has historically been. I suggest you wait 6 months and them bring the stickie idea up again for discussion then.[/quote']

I very much agree with the above, especially what you wrote about in regards to newbs.

I would be more in support of a separate part of the forum dedicated to it as a fake could quite easily be a bass or an acoustic rather than have a sticky at the top of each section.

RE: Ron. I don't agree with you 100% although I understand where you're coming from. Not everybody wants to buy a new guitar. It's glaringly apparent that the majority of Epiphone owners prefer Korean over Chinese, Japanese over Korean and USA over Japanese (to an extent).

In regards to models that are current and could be obtained from an authorized Epiphone dealer (e.g Les Paul ... I don't think anyone intentionally buys a fake Epiphone (perhaps Gibson for the look/name). I think in most cases, asking on this forum before buying could save a lot of people the hassle of buying a fake (exceptions do exist of cours). Yes this is an Epiphone forum but I don't think anyone should feel obligated to buy from an Epiphone Dealer when they can get it cheaper or from a more preferred factory.

But I do agree with you that the only sure way of making sure its the genuine article is to buy from an authorized dealer, I just don't think that this notion should become the policy and best advice that this forum can offer when there are a lot of lovely real second hand epiphones available to buy.

Clarkuss:

I was, in fact, referring to new purchases. Purchasing used stuff is a whole nother thing,

and should be addressed as such. Fakes are merely one of the "risks" of buying used,

which certainly requires more knowledge than buying new.

Archived