Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone EJ-100?

Richard89

I'm thinking of buying an Epiphone Jumbo, and have been interested in the EJ-200 for a while. But I also found some stores selling the model "EJ-100", at a much lower price than the EJ-200.. I have heard very little about this model and would really like to know more about it. How is it compared to the 200? ; quality, sound, differences etc.? Opinions?

Can anybody tell me more about the EJ-100? 8-[

The EJ200 has a solid top, gold hardware, moustache bridge, fancy pickguard and the crown fretboard inlays.

EJ100-laminated top, chrome hardware, plain bridge, plain pickguard and dot fretboard inlays.

I actually like the plainer look of the 100, but I'd have to play them side by side before making a decision.

I actually like the plainer look of the 100' date=' but I'd have to play them side by side before making a decision.[/quote']

Well, the thing is that I Can't try them before I buy. I have tried som 200s before and liked them, but I would really like to hear if someone who has the 100 could tell me a bit about it.

The EJ200 has a solid top...

Not all of them seem to. If you read the specs on any of the online retailers, you'll find that the top is usually described as select (laminated), and only sometimes described as solid. Epiphone itself says it's select on their website, though we all know specs can change.

It's commonly believed that the sunburst and black models have a select spruce top, while the natural ones have a solid top. In any case, I would check the edges of the soundhole before making my purchase. Usually, the soundhole on a laminated top will have painted edges, to cosmetically lessen the appearance of the plys. That won't help if you're considering a black model, but it may provide some indication if you're considering a sunburst or natural top.

Red 333

Not all of them seem to. If you read the specs on any of the online retailers' date=' you'll find that the top is usually described as select (laminated), and only sometimes described as solid. Epiphone itself says it's select on their website, though we all know specs can change.

Red 333[/quote']

True. I've heard that. I was referencing specs for the 200 as listed on MF which, TBH, are not always accurate.

Here's the EJ100' date=' which appears to be AKA an SJ15, I referenced:

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/SJ15-VS.htm

It's a really nice "looking" guitar.[/quote']

Yes, it seems to be the same model, which I haven't heard about neither..

Yeah it's really a nice looking guitar, but I wonder how nice it is sounding/playing etc?.. I have very little experience with the Epi acoustics actually, but i liked the Ej-200, which is the only of their Jumbo models I have tried.

So, maybe those of you that have a bit more knowledge about Epi acoustics could tell me what you think about the Ej-100? For example, other than cosmetics differences etc, do you think it feels a lot "cheaper" than the 200, for example?

It's going to feel and play much like the others.. they don't typically change the specs for dimensions.. just the materials.

Like the cheape tuners.

I think I'd look at the FD90S Epi.. dreadnaught, solid top, 200.00.

But if you can't compare locally, and like the ej200, I don't think the feel of it will be any different..

And I expect that if you get a nice one, it'll be pretty good for that money.

But lower price point acoustics are always somewhat of a crap shoot.

TWANG

Thanks for your replies.

I Just got an crazy idea; buying an Ej-100 and putting a Hummingbird pickguard on it![-( What do you think about that? If I can get a pickguard, would it be difficult to remove the regular guard and replace it with a Hummingbird style? Cool idea or just a meaningsless "project"?:-k

EA1JVSCH1.jpg

I like the look! Very nice. Removing the original pickguard should be easy with a hair dryer but don't over do it with the heat. I removed the pickguard on my AJ-200SR VB using this method. Good luck finding a hummingbird pickguard. Try e-mailing Epiphone, maybe they'll sell you one.

And the cheap tuners may work out fine. But if not, you can always throw some Grovers on there later.

I like the look! Very nice. Removing the original pickguard should be easy with a hair dryer but don't over do it with the heat. I removed the pickguard on my AJ-200SR VB using this method. Good luck finding a hummingbird pickguard. Try e-mailing Epiphone' date=' maybe they'll sell you one.

And the cheap tuners may work out fine. But if not, you can always throw some Grovers on there later.[/quote']

I did a search and found a store in europe where I possibly can order a Hummingbird guard from! I think I will order an EJ-100 and go with this little "Jumbo-bird" project! Hopefully it wont be too difficult to replace the guard with a hairdryer. I have heard about this method before but never did it myself.

Maybe I will change the tuners also. What about Les Paul Standard tuners, should they fit without drilling? Grovers could also be an alternative.

Just curious. How did you get the pic of the EJ with the Hummingbird pick guard on it? Photo shop? If so' date=' is it scaled correctly?[/quote']

I used a similar software called Photo Impact. I tried to get it as correctly scaled as possible; I took the pictures of the two guitars, Ej-100 and Hummingbird, and resized them so the fretboards were equally lenght. Then I just took the pickguard from the Hummingbird and pasted it on the EJ. So, I guess and hope it's scaled correctly.

Does it have to be a Hummingbird pickguard ? Why not a Custom made pickguard to your own specs. Our very own Twang could do this for you.

Yeah a custom made pickguard would be really cool! But I guess shipping to Sweden would cost a lot..

First I was thinking about just a regular EJ-200 guard, but then I realized that a Hummingbird style could be really nice.

If I will change the tuners, what do you think will fit?

Yeah a custom made pickguard would be really cool! But I guess shipping to Sweden would cost a lot..

First I was thinking about just a regular EJ-200 guard' date=' but then I realized that a Hummingbird style could be really nice.

[i']If I will change the tuners, what do you think will fit?[/i]

I think any brand of tuning peg will do. You may have to enlarge the hole a little to make Grovers or Gotoh style tuners fit properly. If that's the case than I would recommend enlarging the holes by hand using a reamer. I wouldn't try using a drill to enlarge the hole...it could cause damage or split the headstock. It's always best to do it by hand and take your time. I would also look at Ping brand tuners. They are not expensive and work just fine.

Good luck!

I just shipped to Sweden. It was like five bucks for a bridge and bushings and posts.

just saying. *S*

It's a good idea. don't overheat.. you can melt the glue on the braces or top with too much heat.

just concentrate on corner.. once you get lift apply heat moving in the direction you want to lift the guard up in.

It will work, just be patient and don't overheat.

I won't argue the reamer, I use drill, myself.

Check the tuners on it.. if they have press fit bushings, then screw on bushings will be too big.

If they have screw in bushings, then grovers will probably fit.

If not, then there are Kluson type that will fit, or Gotoh, of good quality.

TWANG

I just shipped to Sweden. It was like five bucks for a bridge and bushings and posts.

just saying. *S*

Oh really' date=' I thought it should be more expensive; taxes, shipping, ordering from outside european union etc..

Anyway, I will definitely think about that. Could be really cool with a custom designed guard! But probably I will go for a Hummingbird guard, which I found on a German online-store.

I'm thinking about getting Standard Gibson LP tuners, or maybe Grover Imperial or "regular" Grover tuners. Should they fit without enlarging the holes? (I think the EJ-100's tuners are of the same typ as other cheaper Epi models).

Maybe you have some other mod-suggestions or ideas for this "project"? default_eusa_wall.gif

There might be some duty charges. I dunno what they are in each country though.

I'd start with all the basics.

These headstones will take Imperials.. they're big enough for good clearance.. Keystones might look classy, too.

(I'm not a fan of the plastic button so.. you can choose those yourself)

Tusq Nut, no doubt about it.

Bone ot Tusq compensated bridge saddle.

I always choose ebony or rosewood for warmth, and brass for brightness in bridge pins.

The only thing wrong with bird and dove guards is they wear away.. and lose the fancy aspect.

While the other shape will stay much more consistent and is still pretty classy looking.

But that's strictly personal choice, too.

I'd match the tr cover materail to the guard.

Any easy thing for you to install:

piezo pickup.

one hole carefully drilled through the saddle slot.

A harder thing:

getting the strap button peg hole big enough for an output jack/strap button combo.

But a piezo in there would be nice.

I use straplocks on mine. and if I add a piezo, it will have it's output jack elsewhere..

and probably onboard electronics added.

fretwork is something to think about... having it play really nice would be a very good thing.

TWANG

Not all of them seem to. If you read the specs on any of the online retailers' date=' you'll find that the top is usually described as select (laminated), and only sometimes described as solid. Epiphone itself says it's select on their website, though we all know specs can change.

It's commonly believed that the sunburst and black models have a select spruce top, while the natural ones have a solid top. In any case, I would check the edges of the soundhole before making my purchase. Usually, the soundhole on a laminated top will have painted edges, to cosmetically lessen the appearance of the plys. That won't help if you're considering a black model, but it may provide some indication if you're considering a sunburst or natural top.

Red 333[/quote']

All are laminate.....stay away..

The EJ200 has a solid top' date=' gold hardware, moustache bridge, fancy pickguard and the crown fretboard inlays.

EJ100-laminated top, chrome hardware, plain bridge, plain pickguard and dot fretboard inlays.

I actually like the plainer look of the 100, but I'd have to play them side by side before making a decision.[/quote']

So here, then, is a suggestion: how about a jumbo WITH the solid top, but with the "plainer look" i.e. without the geegaws? Call it EJ150, or EJ180 or something. Seems to me like it would make sense.

Archived