Gibson Brands Forums

Next Gig

Sean.BB

Get absolutely blitzed!! Then if it's bad you won't even remember!

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry too much. If you've practiced the songs and you're tight you just need to go out and enjoy yourself. If you can't enjoy yourself there's no point in doing it. If you break a string use the second guitar and take a spare set of strings in case you break one on both.

If it all goes to pot smash something and start a fight... [joke]

Chill and if you break a string chat to the audience whilst your changing guitars or restringing - keeps them on your side and maintains the atmosphere.

Most importantly remember why you're there - TO HAVE FUN!

If you are using a tube amp its a good idea to have a back up also; at least spare tubes and fuses.

I couldn't be bothered to start fixing my tube amp' date=' in the dark, in the corner of a bar. So I get around the problem with one of these big ol' buggers as a spare:

[img']http://guitarlandfloripa.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc05157.jpg?w=300&h=261[/img]

It's a solid-state Fender Princeton 112 made in the early-90s. Nothing ever goes wrong with it! I wouldn't say it would be my first choice, but I wouldn't be embarrassed by it either. And the reverb is surprisingly good.

Goes in the trunk of the car every gig. Knock on wood, I haven't needed it in a long time...

Blew / Fried a tube socket once, in my Blues Junior. It was the second gig, I played with it.

Apparently, the tube socket was faulty, to begin with. Warranty took care of the repairs...no trouble since.

But, luckily...I had my trusty little Fender Sidekick 35 Reverb with me too...hooked it up right quick,

and barely missed a beat! Nothing ever goes wrong with the "Sidekick" (early 80's, 12" speaker model,

made in Japan) that I bought it new, in about 1982. The only thing I did to it, was have the reverb switch wired to the distortion, so I could turn it off and on. I just leave the reverb on, about 4, all the time. It's amazingly loud, too!

So...if you have a spare (guitar or amp), it's always a good idea to take it. If you need it, it's well worth

the extra effort.

CB

Hey' date='

Im the guy that nipped 2 strings at my last gig and didnt bring a spare, if u didnt see it just find my last posts.

Anyway ive got a gig this saturday any advice, i am taking a spare guitar this time. [/quote']

Let the audience get loaded BEFORE you guys play your first set, you start out stone cold sober.

that way, the audience is ALWAYS more intoxicated than you, and will think you sound ablsolutely great!

Really, it works. My band used to do it all the time...

we've all had strings snapping. just take another guitar and change strings in your break (if you do more than one set)

if you're playing the guitar the same in practice as you do in gigs, and it doesnt snap, its not gonan be a problem.

a lot of people play with heavier hands during gigs, nerves, getting into the music etc

I couldn't be bothered to start fixing my tube amp' date=' in the dark, in the corner of a bar. So I get around the problem with one of these big ol' buggers as a spare:

[img']http://guitarlandfloripa.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc05157.jpg?w=300&h=261[/img]

It's a solid-state Fender Princeton 112 made in the early-90s. Nothing ever goes wrong with it! I wouldn't say it would be my first choice, but I wouldn't be embarrassed by it either. And the reverb is surprisingly good.

Goes in the trunk of the car every gig. Knock on wood, I haven't needed it in a long time...

You're so right. Those solid state amps might not sound quite as good but they are virtually indestructable. I've had a 30-watt Marshall I use the same way. Don't ever have to use it but it's good to have handy just in case.

Another thing it's really good for is for when one of your guitar-playing friends comes up to jam with you. He might just have his guitar out in his car but probably not his amp. And anyway, you don't want to interrupt the gig to plug in his amp even if he's got it.

Archived