Gibson Brands Forums

Your favourite riff?

RenegadeMaster

Paperback Writer' date=' I Feel Fine, Day Tripper, The Last Time (Stones), Satisfaction,

Mr. Tambourine Man (Byrds version), Eight Miles High, One Way Out (Allman Brothers)...on and on!

CB[/quote']"Drive My Car" by the Beatles as well. And as for the Allman Bros, I've always loved the guitar lead on "Ramblin' Man".

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of Peter Gunn, did anyone else catch Jeff Beck's version at his recent induction into the Rock & Roll HOF ceremony. Peter Gunn as only Jeff Beck could do it, fantastic. Anyway to the topic at hand, hmmmmm.........

Ok, not my choice but I can't believe no one has mentioned Smoke on the Water!

My Choice; Keith Richard "Can't Ya Hear Me Knockin'"

Have some fun Brad. O:) I think it goes without saying that most of us have a bunch of favs. Just name one (or 5) of them.

To go in a different direction than most of you all, both the opening and verse riffs from Bloody Sunday by Stiff Little Fingers are great (sorta late 70s punk Master of Puppets type riffs). I've been learning to play it recently, so it's on my mind.

If you haven't heard that one (then you should!), N.I.B and Electric Funeral by Sabbath have Hall-of-Fame-worthy riffs. Super dark and heavy.

Since this is a really Beatles forum ;), I'll mention the sparkly verse riff from She Said, She Said (is that considered a riff? I love it...)

EDIT: Speaking of Master of Puppets, how could I forget the opening riff to the Streets of San Francisco theme song?

The beginning of BB King's "The Thrill Is Gone' date='" has always been a nice intro...

And, another "Beatles".... "And Your Bird Can Sing!"

CB[/quote']

Definitely +100000 on "And Your Bird Can Sing" Love the sound of the two guitars on that.

"Over' date=' Under, Sideways, Down" The Yardbirds

CB[/quote']

That one definitely makes my top 10, maybe top 5 depending on my mood.

Others:

Spirit Of Radio - Rush

Almost every other Rush song (Sorry, Big fan).

Heartbreaker - Zeppelin

Money - Pink Floyd

The Back in Black intro is killer also love the start of China Grove by Doobie Bros .....BAM BAM, SHUFFLE SHUFFLE, .BAM BAM, SHUFFLE SHUFFLE .... awesome.

And pretty much most of AC/DC or Led Zep.

Oh Well, I reckon the best riff is.........."OH WELL" by Jimmy Page and the Black Crows - Live at the Greek.

By the way does anyone know the origins of this song? I don't think it's a Led Zep original!

Brett

My FAVORITE riff? Definitely ELECTRIC FLAG"S "Another country"......Mike Bloomfield, guitarist playing solo at the last third of the song.....he plays a Les Paul and it sounds good....nice and jazzy and kick ***.....

Oh Well' date=' I reckon the best riff is..........[b'][/b]"OH WELL" by Jimmy Page and the Black Crows - Live at the Greek.

By the way does anyone know the origins of this song? I don't think it's a Led Zep original!

Brett

I looked on YouTube, for that version...but, haven't found it yet. IF it's the "Oh Well," I'm familiar

with, it was done by the original "Fleetwood Mac!"

(The blues band version, when Peter Green on guitar)

CB

Awww......... C'mon Guys,

Three pages and no one has named "Thunderstruck - AC/DC" you gotta try it surely??

"Crazy Train" is another good one of course.....

"Problem Child" - AC/DC

"Waiting for an Alibi" - Thin Lizzy

"Chinatown" - Thin Lizzy

Archived