Gibson Brands Forums

ej 200 woods?

slasher1319

why is it that people always hate to have a laminate wood guitar, is the sound really that bad? i mean will the audience hear tat it sounds bad, cos i like the ej 200 but people say no no steer away from laminate wood, can owners tell me their experiences with this guitar both tonally, cosmetically and quality/strenght wise.? thanks

If you find one that you like the look of, plays/feels good and sounds good then I say get it! They're fine looking guitars and if it's what you want then go for it and enjoy it. Just know that the sound will stay the same rather than 'improving' with age like solid woods do. You wont have to worry about humidity, just whether or not you can stop playing it! Too much snoberry around regarding solid tops etc.

Comes down to this, if you like it, play it and enjoy it. Enough said.

Matt

If you find one that you like the look of' date=' plays/feels good and sounds good then I say get it! They're fine looking guitars and if it's what you want then go for it and enjoy it. Just know that the sound will stay the same rather than 'improving' with age like solid woods do. You wont have to worry about humidity, just whether or not you can stop playing it! Too much snoberry around regarding solid tops etc.

Comes down to this, if you like it, play it and enjoy it. Enough said.

Matt[/quote']

+1 on what he said! ](*,)

I love my EJ200 it may not be solid but it sound good to me. I tryed the Gibson and the Epiphone in the music store just to hear the difference and yes the Gibson was better but not £2000 better I own a gibson 335 and Les Paul but never take them to pub gigs just in case they get damaged no such worries with my Epip's

If you like the sound, then get it. I have an 15 year old, cheap Alvarez laminate with an LR Baggs M1a pickup. Sounds great live, as good as my friends Taylor. I've got maybe $450 in the guitar since new, and it sounds the same as the day I bought it.

I am looking to buy an EJ-200 also. There is no freaking way the audience will be able to hear a difference in the wood if you put good pickups in it. It will be sturdy and you won't have to worry about a multi-thousand dollar instrument. If you get a multi-million dollar deal and go into the studio, then go buy a solid wood guitar.

Jeff

Archived