Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD to me!!!

midiman56

Good Lord … days off can be dangerous, as can spending time in these forums getting ideas. I had been on the lookout for a Firebird VII and scored this one today! It is a 2004 made in Korea at the Saein Plant. It was on consignment at Cowtown Guitars here in Las Vegas. It was also “love at FIRST sight, feel, play, and hear”!

It has a couple of tiny knocks on it … less than you would expect on a five year old guitar, but the gold is almost perfect. Tuning and intonation are spot on (Cowtown does a tremendous job setting these up).

The mini-humbuckers just SING! Seriously, this guitar just sounds so … THERE! Balls for days anywhere from sharp and cutting to warm and mellow. I really put it through its paces on a variety of amp setting and it rang through clear as a bell! The neck is straight and true and the action is all I could ask for … I feel really lucky to have stumbled on this as I had been watching several on EBay over the last few weeks … just fighting the GAS. Being able to actually play this one put me over the edge.

So … now the hunt begins for a set of good, high gear-ratio banjo tuners … any suggestions?

Jim

SANY0040.jpg

SANY0041.jpg

SANY0042.jpg

SANY0043.jpg

I had a red one a couple of years ago. The sunburst looks way better!!! Good score' date=' Jim!!!

It's not an Epi, but yesterday was HNGD for me:

[center']l_ae3f1a5046a64c389f14f63fe5e355b9.jpg[/center]

That's a mighty cool lookin' guitar there, too!

Jerrymac: Is that a Gretsch G3161? There is a guy on the local Vegas Craigslist currently selling an orange one. That is one great looking guitar ... love those "cat's eye" holes!

Thanks so much for all of the feedback on the Firebird, guys! I was playing her way into the night and I couldn’t be happier. I know that there’s always a “honeymoon period” with any new guitar, but I just can’t imagine ever getting tired of the unique sound of this guitar. It’s hard to describe, but it’s almost like taking the crisp bite of a Fender … and fattening it up … giving it some chunk!

Thank you again for all the good wishes!

Jim

Jerrymac: Is that a Gretsch G3161? There is a guy on the local Vegas Craigslist currently selling an orange one. That is one great looking guitar ... love those "cat's eye" holes!

G3156. The G3161 has Gretsch humbuckers, and it's thinner (2" as opposed to 2.75"). Forum member JohnO has a 3161, it's really nice and I do prefer the thinner body. But I like the DeArmond (Dynasonic) pickups, and this satisfies my craving for a White Falcon!!! (Not really). Plus I got it at a really good price.

G3156. The G3161 has Gretsch humbuckers' date=' and it's thinner (2" as opposed to 2.75"). Forum member JohnO has a 3161, it's really nice and I do prefer the thinner body. But I like the DeArmond (Dynasonic) pickups, and this satisfies my craving for a White Falcon!!! (Not really). Plus I got it at a really good price.

[/quote']

I have a 5120 that I am very happy with. Eventually I'll get around to upgrading it with a good set of pups. TV Jones are tempting, but will cost half as much as the guitar did in the first place! LOL

Your's is really a beauty!

JIm

Archived