Gibson Brands Forums

new member and new epiphone

jcsan2s

Just got this epiphone les paul standard the seller said its a 1992 JAPAN made

but after checking the pickups, with the mmk sign , i googled it and led me to this forum

and found some riviera thread with similar serial number pattern with mine that says it a 82, mine is 20***** ( 7 digits)

so is this a 92 or 82? O:)

thanks in advance

the guitar is beautifully made and really feels like a japanese made guitar i just want to know ;)

Just got this epiphone les paul standard the seller said its a 1992 JAPAN made

but after checking the pickups' date=' with the mmk sign , i googled it and led me to this forum

and found some riviera thread with similar serial number pattern with mine that says it a 82, mine is 20***** ( 7 digits)

so is this a 92 or 82? O:)

thanks in advance

the guitar is beautifully made and really feels like a japanese made guitar i just want to know ;)

[/quote']

First of all, it really doesn't matter because that is one beautiful guitar!!!

I really don't know a lot about the history of Japanese Les Pauls, but I would say it's an 1982 made by Matsumoku in Japan. The MMK markings on the pickups indicates Matsumoku pickups, plus the serial # matches the Matsumoku format. And since Matsumoku stopped production of Epiphones in 1986, it couldn't be a 1992 Matsumoku. Besides, I think a 1992 Japanese Les Paul would carry the Orville brand, not Epiphone.

Hope that helps.

Archived