Gibson Brands Forums

Maple Top on an Epi LP Studio

IntelligentAl

I was just wondering whether or not the Epi LP Studio has a maple top like the Gibby version. Mine doesn't seem to, but I can never tell. It doesn't bother me either way since I don't know what advantages/disadvantages a maple top has, but I was just curious and would like to know.

Thanks for any information!

Mine is solid mahogany. EPI Co. website sez solid mahogany, MF ad says solid mahogany.

Yours must be Blue or Ebony? (Can't see thru to the grain?). I DO wish they had made them

with Trapezoidal inlays, but I REALLY like the way it plays, GLAD I bought one!

Stock open-coil HBs too muddy (Said "LP Classic Neck, LP Classic Bridge" on back), upgraded

those and tuners to Gibson Deluxe tulip style. For the $$$ invested, I'm satisfied...

100_0205.jpg

BOp3urwBWkKGrHgoH-EEjlLlyV66BJvumuQ.jpg

100_0203.jpg

100_0206.jpg

Thanks for your reply, animalfarm. I totally agree with you, the Studio is a fantastic guitar but there are a few things I'm planning on changing. Pickups are first, I'm thinking I might swap these stock humbuckers for a set of Gibson Burstbuckers. I may also change the tuners to the chrome tulip style ones and maybe even change the pickgaurd, mounting rings etc. to cream.

And trapezoid inlays would be awesome too, but I can live with the dot inlays. Thanks again!

I've been researching the Burstbuckers, even listened to the "demo"

recordings on the Gibson website, read the Harmony Central reviews.

Still undecided. Was thinking of a "possible" upgrade of the pups

in my LP Classic, but you know what? I LIKE the sound of the Stock

pups in the classic, and Burstbuckers AIN'T cheap to just experiment with.

One of the reviews I SWEAR was written by one of our forum members, just

had their "matter-of-fact" tone, fact-oriented. Thinking of someone in particular -

if it was you, 'fess up!!! (Good Review).

I put a set of Burstbuckers in my G-400. BB Pro in the neck and BBII in the bridge and I have pleased with them. They are spendy though. It was over $200 for the set. I have put several sets of GFS Vintage 59s in other Epis that I own and have really been pleased with the outcomes as well, and I can get two pickups for the price of one Gibson, and money back. Personally, I don't like Epi pickups, but that is just me. The first mod I always did on them was to replace the pickukps.

Epis aren't gonna have a thick maple cap, they will have a veneer, not a cap. I don't think the Studio does though.

list price on burstbuckers is 207.00 each.

200.00 a set is lower than I pay as a dealer, plus shipping added!

I have noticed of late that companys like stew mac that I used to be able to undercut a little.. now offer several products

at a lower price than I pay to customers.

Good for you, bad for me. It means in the end, small guys will go by the way, business will get better for the big guys, who will then raise their prices back to the usual.

I've been meaning to try a set of these

http://www.allparts.com/store/pickups-razor-pickups-thvp,Product.asp

because the best I can do is fight off GFS.. which imports directly.. and offer a less expensive better than stock pickup..

or go with Fralins or something that gets into the higher price range that adds a custom service to your tonal choice in the higher price

range, in order to compete with big importers or buyers who get better prices than I and lower shipping rates to boot.

Lately I think I've seen the writing on the wall.. and it says.. so long Twang.

I don't know what I can do if I see just a few more products being sold all over the web for less than I have to pay for them, except close out what I've got and say.. whew made it just under the wire.

Because I do beleive that things aren't going to get better soon.. and I do believe that that means things are going to be bad for anyone without the ready cash or willingness to use credit to compete.

For a while, that may mean that you will find some very good deals if you search.

and my advice is to search, and to think about that, you only have to pick a few things you're interested in and observe what mainline

retailers are doing with the price.

You know, I always wonder what happens to the stuff.. when I see a small shop is closed.. where did his stock go.. back to the bank.. auctioned off...returned to manufacturer.. ?

I think we may very well see some it showing up available to us.. if in fact banks can't get what they want from other retailers.. who may simply not have the large amount of money needed to pick up all these stores left, there's a chance, I think, that the gear may start showing up online

somewhere.

TWANG

non of the epi's have a maple top, period! not the standards, not the studios, none. you'll get some distant-cousin-of-mahogany body (luaun) if you're lucky, alder if you're not, and capped with an alder cap (if you're lucky, at least it's closer to maple than luaun is) or luaun if you're not.

The "maple" that epiphone claims that their les paul's have is a paper-thin veneer, literally PAPER THIN. It may as well not be there as far as tone is concerned, it only improves the asthetics of the guitar. hope that clears up the maple cap debate.

non of the epi's have a maple top' date=' period! not the standards, not the studios, none. you'll get some distant-cousin-of-mahogany body (luaun) if you're lucky, alder if you're not, and capped with an alder cap (if you're lucky, at least it's closer to maple than luaun is) or luaun if you're not.

The "maple" that epiphone claims that their les paul's have is a paper-thin veneer, literally PAPER THIN. It may as well not be there as far as tone is concerned, it only improves the asthetics of the guitar. hope that clears up the maple cap debate.[/quote']

As cyber said, it's a thin veneer that's about 1/16" thick. But, I've never worried about it at all. The tone and sustain I get out of my Epi with the SD Pearlies is every bit as satisfying as the tone on my Gibson LP Studio with the 490/498 combo. It is absolutely amazing how deep the grain looks on my flametop. The optical illusion makes the grain look an inch deep in the ripples.

non of the epi's have a maple top' date=' period! not the standards, not the studios, none. you'll get some distant-cousin-of-mahogany body (luaun) if you're lucky, alder if you're not, and capped with an alder cap (if you're lucky, at least it's closer to maple than luaun is) or luaun if you're not.

The "maple" that epiphone claims that their les paul's have is a paper-thin veneer, literally PAPER THIN. It may as well not be there as far as tone is concerned, it only improves the asthetics of the guitar. hope that clears up the maple cap debate.[/quote']

So, just wondering: how did you become such an expert on the wood Epiphone uses? I presume you've cut tons of them apart and consulted with someone who can identify different kinds of wood?

Like I said: just wondering. :-

As cyber said' date=' it's a thin veneer that's about 1/16" thick. [b'] But, I've never worried about it at all[/b]. The tone and sustain I get out of my Epi with the SD Pearlies is every bit as satisfying as the tone on my Gibson LP Studio with the 490/498 combo. It is absolutely amazing how deep the grain looks on my flametop. The optical illusion makes the grain look an inch deep in the ripples.

Same here .... it sounds good enough to me ..... and looks amazing - that is crazy how "deep" the "ripples" appear on a poly coated thin sheet of veneer. I ain't worried about the woods .....I got bigger fish to fry :-

I gotta admit that Burstbuckers, to me, are the single best-sounding humbucker pickup I've ever played through. That said, I, too, thought $200 was too much to put into an LP Studio (I've got a worn brown one just like the pic above-love it!) so I bought a set of GFS 'Antique Boutique' hums (figuring that's about as close to a BB as I was gonna get with a GFS pickup) and am very happy with them. I call my brown studio my 'blues machine'. It's not bright or hot but very warm and pretty darn beefy. Would certainly recommend them as a cheap alternative to BBs.

Archived