Gibson Brands Forums

Valve SR. or Marshall Haze

At some point in the next year I was thinking about upgrading my Valve JR to a Valve Sr. But it seems the Sr is a myth LOL.

I know I am a bit slow but just found out Marshall is putting out a 15 watt 6V6 head come May. This has struck my interest...

What to do what to do.........

Get a silverface deluxe reverb for $500 or so, put a couple hundred into having a tech go through it, and $100 into a new speaker, and you've got just about the best hand wired blues amp you could find for club gigging, for about $800 or so. Leagues beyond anything new that you could buy for that money, and it would actually be something of value forever.

where can you find a silver face for $500?

also i bet if you wait just a lil bit longer fender is probably going to hop on the van wagon and come out with some lower priced low watt heads and suce, i have a black heart little giant, it gets loud and even when i hook the other 12 up it rips it up but not for giging, unless you got a good PA and mic setup goin for ya

check out the VOx night train its pretty nasty

where can you find a silver face for $500?

Look around. They're not rare. Pawn shops, thrift stores, garage sales, craigslist, and even Ebay.

I have sworn off Fender as I have had nothing but trouble with FMIC produts.

No offense, but do you honestly think a Chinese built PCB amp is better built and and more reliable than a 35 year old American made, hand wired amp? It'd be interesting to find out what FMIC products you had such trouble with, and the history of those problems. I've never known a person who swore off all of Fender's excellent products of yesteryear, and opt instead for Chinese PCB products, so whatever happened with yours must really be something worth noting.

Well it is what really makes me happy right?

I have to play it, I have to repair it correct?

I was talking to a old blues guy today, played with Muddy Waters at one time, and he told me, It is not the equipment used, It is how you use the equipment.

The list of problems is just way to long, but to give you an Idea here is a short list of what I have owned.

Gretsch 5120.. Don't even get me started, what a piece of junk for a guitar. wasn't worth 599 and sure as hell isn't worth 699...

Musicman Sixy-five 112.. The one with a phase inverter...

Fender Blues Develle. USA made

Fender Pro Jr USA made

Fender Blues JR USA made

Fender 65 super reverb reissiue.

and that is just a short list.

The one and only product, not Fender, that never let me down ever, and dang it I just might get one again, is a Peavey Delta Blues 115. That sucker is a rock and sounds great.

Well it is what really makes me happy right?

That's the main thing.

I have to play it, I have to repair it correct?

Somebody. I do what I can with mine, but have an amp tech for the bloodier work.

I was talking to a old blues guy today, played with Muddy Waters at one time, and he told me, It is not the equipment used, It is how you use the equipment.

Yes, there's a great difference between running an amp on "2," once a month, and running it on "10" every night of the week!

Guitars are fickle beasts, for sure. Much more persnickity than amps. You've really gotta shop carefully to get a good one.

You listed off the amps you owned, but not what endless problems you had with them that made them "junk." Doesn't matter, I guess. If you prefer PCB Chinese made amps to handwired American, that's your perogative, and there's nothing wrong with that.

My kid's got an early Blues Jr. that's a great little amp (although I have modded it). I used to own a MM 130hd and 212 cab years ago...great, very solid amp, though not much for breakup. I'm not a huge fan of the Fender re-issues, personally, but I have seen the insides of one, and they're not horribly built. They still use the same cheapo parts that all PCB amps use these days, but they appear to have pretty solid design overall. They're not even close to the handwired ancestors, however.

Peavey has always made their stuff rock solid. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a beginner or intermediate player.

Good luck with your upcoming purchase!

At some point in the next year I was thinking about upgrading my Valve JR to a Valve Sr. But it seems the Sr is a myth LOL.

I know I am a bit slow but just found out Marshall is putting out a 15 watt 6V6 head come May. This has struck my interest...

What to do what to do.........

I just checked the " Haze " line out and, while they do look interesting, the price point is going to be much higher than the Valve Senior. Also, from what I understand, they too are due out in July; the latest release date for the Senior. At that time I would try them both out but for the difference in price I would probably go with the VS.

I just checked the " Haze " line out and' date=' while they do look interesting, the price point is going to be much higher than the Valve Senior. Also, from what I understand, they too are due out in July; the latest release date for the Senior. At that time I would try them both out but for the difference in price I would probably go with the VS.[/quote']

Are they going to have that "Marshall" sound with 6V6 tubes? Isn't that going into Fender territory? I thought part of the signature Marshall sound was the EL84 tubes or whatever. I'm no expert, just what I have read on the internet and stuff so I may be talking out my ***. Please correct as needed.

I'm a bit curios about these my self...LOL,my next series of disposable amps. Mainly interested in the combo though.

If I was interested in the head I belive I'd go with the Epi Sr. Minus the additional on board effects (not talking reverb and tremelo) on the Haze, which I personally never cared for on an amp anyways, they seem like the same thing to me. Just a better price for the Epi.

The Haze combo just seems to differ in size(watts) and EL34s for O/P tubes instead of the 2 6V6s on the head....well, other than being a combo of course.

LOL...now I'm curios about the Sr combo :- .

Are they going to have that "Marshall" sound with 6V6 tubes? Isn't that going into Fender territory?

The front of the amp can be voiced entirely in the Marshall world, so it's capable of being similar, but those 6v6s will keep it from being entirely "Marshall-like" in tone and overall feel. The EL84 model would sound and feel more "marshally" than the 6v6 model. Both have the potential to be interesting, though.

Archived