Gibson Brands Forums

What strings do you Hummingbird players use?

I currently have D'Addario EJ11s 80/20 bronze light gauge on mine but have a set of Martin SP phosphor bronze mediums ready for the next string change.

What strings do all you H-bird player use? Anyone out there using meduim gauge strings on their H-bird?

If so...what brand do you like best?

I've been using 11's and really like them. I'm still trying different brands and have not set on one specific yet. I do like the elixirs though.

I guess like you I am still also in the "trying out different brands" phase. I kinda like the Elixir nanowebs but my issue with them was breakage...like after a matter of hours of being installed. Both D and G strings. This was on a guitar that never exhibits any tendencies to extreme string breakage. Especially with new strings. At $20 a set I decided to go back to non-coated strings which kind of sucked because I don't mind the tone and the fact that (when they dont break) they last longer. The Elixirs Nano's that came with my Taylor 114 sounded great and felt nice to play.

I have found consistency with Martin SPs on my other guitars so that's why I thought I'd try them out on the H-bird too.

Funny you should mention this. I've been going through the same "string quest" thing with my bird, I use .012's but here's what I've tried so far. These are just my opinions of course. I do a lot of a lot of twangy country blues/rockabilly type flattop picking so YMMV. But here goes...

I just put a set of the D'Addario EJ-11's on tonight, so far they seem alright but I know with the D'Addarios you have to get over the inital 24 hours of extreme brightness before you can say for sure . I am missing the volume of the bronze phosphor strings though. IMHO the hummingbird is lacking a bit in the volume department. The bronze phosphor strings seem to help there, as they seem (at least to me) to be louder than the 80/20's.

I had been using the Martin SPs for a while, and while I liked the deep boomy growl of the SPs lower strings, I found them to be a bit dark and muddy overall on the hummingbird.

I tried a set of Gibson Masterbuilts, and they were OK, but to me they sounded an awful lot like the EJ-16's. That and the fact that they were so hard to find made me a little less enthused about them.

I've tried the Elixers in the past, and didn't like them much (sounded a bit dead to me), but figured I'd give them another go on the hummingbird. I put a set on, and I broke the G the next day right at the tuner just like on my Yamaha and there's no burrs on either tuner shaft ](*,) . So off they came. 8-[

I usually end up going back to the old standby D'Addario EJ-16's, which are pretty good but lack the wound string growl of a good 80/20 string. Like I said I like the sound of the EJ-11's but they are quieter than the EJ-16's.

Does any one make a set of strings that has the deep twangy growl of an 80/20 set, and the volume of a bronze phosphor set ?

Oh yeah, and they have to last a long time...

and be cheap...

and readily available...

and not break...

and... yeah nevermind, I know it's probably too much to ask. ](*,)'

Sorry for rambling so long. 8-[

- Jay

Does any one make a set of strings that has the deep twangy growl of an 80/20 set' date=' and the volume of a bronze phosphor set ?

Oh yeah, and they have to last a long time...

and be cheap...

and readily available...

and not break...

and... yeah nevermind, I know it's probably too much to ask. default_eusa_wall.gif

Sorry for rambling so long. 8-[

- Jay

Jay, I don't have a HB, but I do have 14 guitars and I've settled on one brand of strings for all of them--Dean Markley Gold-Bronze Alchemy strings. They meet all of your criterion EXCEPT the "...and be cheap" one, but I do find them to be economical in the long run b/c they last practically FOREVER. I've never had a string break in all the years I've been using them and being retired I have time to play a LOT. They are expensive (between $10 and $13/set, depending on where you find them), but they hold not only their tone but also a tune for a long time, so in the end they come out ahead of the D'Addarios I had been using and replacing every month or so. I have one Washburn guitar with a set of DM Alchemy strings on it, going on 3 years now, and the tone is still as good as the ones I put on my other Washburns and my Epiphone Masterbilt just recently :D/ .

Try a set, they have that great volume you get from the bronze-phosphors and the tone is absolutely fantastic, IMHO. I use them on my $4K Breedlove custom shop guit, even sent a set to Breedlove as they were making the guitar so that the nut could be slotted specifically for the strings. I predict you'll :- them--they'll "...tickle your innards"!

Dugly O:)

Jay' date=' I don't have a HB, but I do have 14 guitars and I've settled on one brand of strings for all of them--Dean Markley Gold-Bronze Alchemy strings. They meet all of your criterion EXCEPT the "...and be cheap" one, but I do find them to be economical in the long run b/c they last practically FOREVER. I've never had a string break in all the years I've been using them and being retired I have time to play a LOT. They are expensive (between $10 and $13/set, depending on where you find them), but they hold not only their tone but also a tune for a long time, so in the end they come out ahead of the D'Addarios I had been using and replacing every month or so. I have one Washburn guitar with a set of DM Alchemy strings on it, going on 3 years now, and the tone is still as good as the ones I put on my other Washburns and my Epiphone Masterbilt just recently :D/ .

Try a set, they have that great volume you get from the bronze-phosphors and the tone is absolutely fantastic, IMHO. I use them on my $4K Breedlove custom shop guit, even sent a set to Breedlove as they were making the guitar so that the nut could be slotted specifically for the strings. I predict you'll :-k them--they'll "...tickle your innards"!

Dugly O:)[/quote']

Wow ! Thanks man, I'm going to have to give those a try next ! I hadn't heard of those. Honestly, I don't mind paying a bit more if they last (being the cheapskate that I am) :) .

Thanks again !

- Jay

Well I did look at the Shoreline Music site wbut unfortunately they don't ship to Canada. It's cool since I now have recommendations for the D'Addario EJ16s and Dean Markley Gold Bronze Alchemy strings which I am sure I can find at my local music store easily. I'm thinking the D'Addarios would be the least expensive of the two.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Archived