Gibson Brands Forums

wildcat strings

johnbm2136

I use 11's on my dot studio and sheraton... but I have to say, there's a lot of guys who feel 11's are too heavy for their style..

so I'd go to 10s first.. try 'em for a while and decide then.

TWANG

ps

I always use Everlys *S*

I have 11s on my WildKat, the coated Elixir Medium Nanoweb Strings. At first they felt "oily" I guess for like of another word...slick feeling. Took a couple days to get use to them, but they play like 10s and sound very good, for 12 bucks a set they had better LOL Good part tho...they last a lot longer than regular strings which is a bonus with the Bigsby on it making string changing a PITA. I play EB Slinky10s on my LP studio and Peavey reactor tho and like them also.

Capt

Guest alanhindle

I really should be thinking about changing the strings on mine now. I've had it about 6 months and it's been in 'storage' for a fair bit longer. I want to stick to the same gauge that came from the factory but don't know what this is. The ball ends are different colours- do these colours signify the gauges of each string? I usually use Ernie Balls and these are uncoloured.

BTW, to hold the new string ball ends on to the little pins I'm thinking of using blobs of 'blu-tak' (you know, the stuff you use for posters- is that what it's called in the US?) . Any other tried and tested methods for restringing a bigsby?

Alan

Get a piece of firm foam rubber and cut it at an angle...bend the string about a 1/4 of an inch from the ball end at about 45 degrees ..slip it on the pin and wedge the foam in under the string to hold it in place as you finish running it under the bar of the Bigsby (or run the ball end under the bar first maybe easier before wedging it in place) and then finish up stringing as usual.

Capt

I just bought a set of Dean Markley Blue Steel LTHB's for mine but haven't tried them yet.

They're almost a combination of 10's and 11's.

The high E, B, G strings are like 10's while the low E, A, D strings are like 11's. (10-13-17-30-42-52)

You get the fatter bass sound of 11's and easier bending of 10's.

I want to stick to the same gauge that came from the factory but don't know what this is. The ball ends are different colours- do these colours signify the gauges of each string? I usually use Ernie Balls and these are uncoloured.

Coloured balls (feel free...) are almost certainly a sign that it has D'Addario strings on it. They're the only brand I've ever seen to use it. They only identify which string they are, not what gauge the are.

Archived