Gibson Brands Forums

epi inspection process. usa..

TWANG

I worked in a factory once, well more than one, but in this one when the assembly line got going well enough to satisfy mgmnt. this one dude would toss a lead pipe in the works and shut the whole thing down.

and nobody would say a thing.

see.. the chinese are gonna find out soon enough that the people on the line will keep shut about such things.. unless the workers are completely cowed.. or payed and treated well.

I didn't like that, I want you to know. It soured me on working there.

But when I mentioned this another guy told me the following..

you're an idiot. they have you on the line doing the work two people were doing and you keep up..

you cost someone their job..

Well.. honestly, this is no brag. I'd just come off two other jobs that were much much harder and I LIKE being busy.

But, I kept shut, too, and that was that.

Man am I glad I don't have employees!

No doubt about it, coordinating all this stuff must be a bear!

Probably the same one that ate elvis.

Or the one the other elvis seems to have eaten.

TWANG

• 4 weeks later...

This has left me with a number of questions about the worldwide distribution and QA of Epiphones and about what happens to the guitars with varying degrees of unacceptable quality.

Obviously the ones with minor imperfections (which many people who've bought one say they can't see) get sold as bone fide Epiphone blems. So, what happens to the ones with major imperfections? Presumably, given the processes involved, there are a number produced which the EE factory know will never pass through importer QA. However, as the factory is still presumably under pressure to deliver a healthy return, perhaps these guitars are sold to retailers/buyers in China. Could these be the ones that end up on ebay and could this be why epiphone is seemingly silent on the issue of 'fake' epiphones.

Another thing, has anybody in Europe or Japan & Aus/NZ seen one of those proper QA inspection stickers? Gibson has a USA factory to do USA inspections. Where exactly do the other inspections for the rest of the world take place (which they call Epiphone Europe and Epiphone Japan) and why does the Epiphone website only list official dealers in North America?

Archived