Gibson Brands Forums

8" replacement speakers

Anyplace other than Weber to shop for them? I went to Celestion and Eminence sites but Eminence had no 8" listed and Celestion only had their cheapest entry level speaker available in 8".

Anyone had any experience with any Weber 8" speakers? They had some alnico and ceramics for about $40 and higher priced models.

Jensen makes the P8R in both 4 and 8 ohm versions. I haven't heard one of those' date=' but I've got the P10R in my Kalamazoo Model 1 and like it. A Weber Alnico Sig 8S is in my Vibro Champ and sounds good to me.[/quote']

i've been wondering about those...

i think i may want to replace organ speakers and there are 2 12" ones, one 8" (for reverb only)

jensen speakers were used in the old leslie speakers (suzuki bought the hammond and leslie names, and uses eminence)

so i wonder if i could get a stopped leslie tone... (maybe stick an effects loop in there, get a good leslie pedal...)

I put a Jensen P8r in my VJr combo and like the top end and mids as much as I like 'em with my P10r. That part of the tone is instantly recognizable. Still no bottom end in that little VJr combo cab, though. And it's less efficient, so those two factors make it a pretty good choice for use in a bedroom practice amp. But the P10r can have gobs of bottom end in the right cab; and sure enough, putting the VJr Combo in a bookshelf to expand the baffle does help boost a little of the bottom end from the P8r.

However, the Jensens sound better with 6V6 or 6L6 tubes than they do with the more British-toned EL84 or EL34 tubes, which seem to like the more prominent mids of ceramic Celestions best. I typically have an amp with a 6v6 stuffed into my VJr combo cab.

Gil...

Jensen makes the P8R in both 4 and 8 ohm versions. I haven't heard one of those' date=' but I've got the P10R in my Kalamazoo Model 1 and like it. A Weber Alnico Sig 8S is in my Vibro Champ and sounds good to me.[/quote']

Do you know what's the difference between the Weber Alnico Sig 8 and 8S?

Seems to me that these amps used to come with a Weber signature, didn't they? I don't think they do anymore, but I can't imagine that there'd be an appreciable improvement from one low-end speaker to another. I have no personal experience to offer on that, however.

Archived