Gibson Brands Forums

Alternative to wood bodied guitars?

lpfan

Look Ricochet' date=' if you want to give advice thats wonderful. If you don't, thats fine too. We are all here to help each other out. I just thought that I would ask everyone here because most of the members are very knowledgeable and give good advice. If you want to be a smarta$$ and be spiteful, join another group because we are here to help each other not knit pick one another because someone is "looking for help". I always thought that the best way to get information was to ask people that know what they are talking about. And thats what I did.

For everyone else, THANK YOU!!! You guys have given me alot of direction and helpful information. I really appreciate you guys helping me out. I really thought that this would be an interesting topic.[/quote']

I didn't mind the question, for what it's worth. Sometimes it's nice to have a diversion from "Is this a fake?"

And, come on guys, had any of you heard of Fouke Industrial Guitars before I brought it up? If the Who had one of those, they could have beat a stage to pieces and still used the guitar for the next gig.

Look Ricochet' date=' if you want to give advice thats wonderful. If you don't, thats fine too. We are all here to help each other out. I just thought that I would ask everyone here because most of the members are very knowledgeable and give good advice. If you want to be a smarta$$ and be spiteful, join another group because we are here to help each other not knit pick one another because someone is "looking for help". I always thought that the best way to get information was to ask people that know what they are talking about. And thats what I did.

[/quote']

I'm spitefull towards someone who can't be arsed to use a simple search first. You're not looking for help. You're looking for conversation and you pose it of as "interesting guitar-related discussion" as demonstrated by your other "awesome" thread. Search "guitar" and "dxf" mr. "industrial technology major".

Edit: I'm sorry, I really don't want to come off as a meanie. I assure you it's not so much personal as it is a general annoyance with an observation I made. You just happened to be in the line of fire. And I'm having an extremely bad hairday.

A couple of years ago a company called Switch was selling some composite one-piece guitars. The material was called Vibracell and I bought a couple of them (they were cheap). I was VERY pleasantely surprised at how good they felt and played. I wasn't impressed with the stock (ceramic) humbuckers but replaced them with some of those new GFS VEH pickups and am very happy with the results.

I woulda killed to have had one of these back in the day for outdoor gigs.

The company went out of business (too bad) and some guy bought up a big chunk of the inventory & has been selling them on Ebay. I've bought 4 or 5 more of them from him (never paying more than $180 for any of them). He has several body styles- tele, strat(like)- Parker Fly- etc. All in all I'm very impressed with the guitars and am sorry they didn't catch on & the company went belly-up. If you get a chance surf Ebay for 'Switch' guitars. I'm pretty sure you'll be very satisfied if you buy one (don't pay more than $200. I've seen a couple other sites trying to sell them for upwards of $500). The only style I didn't like was the 'Innovo'. I may still buy one or two more if I can swing it.

This Vibracell stuff is pretty cool. Totally immune to temperature or humidity. Cool looking, too.

One of these days I'll post a pic of all my Switch guitars either here or the 'other' forum.

I was just wondering if anyone or any companies have ever tried to make guitars out of materials other than wood? If so' date=' what did they or you use? How was the sound? Please post pics and links if you have any info. I'm an industrial technology major at EKU and I thought that this info might be useful for a presentation in one of my "materials" classes. Thanks!!![/quote']

http://www.alumisonic.com/

don't have/use one

but i want one really bad.

they said they could do a custom es-335 style one with a flat back...

A couple of years ago a company called Switch was selling some composite one-piece guitars. The material was called Vibracell and I bought a couple of them (they were cheap). I was VERY pleasantely surprised at how good they felt and played. I wasn't impressed with the stock (ceramic) humbuckers but replaced them with some of those new GFS VEH pickups and am very happy with the results.

I woulda killed to have had one of these back in the day for outdoor gigs.

The company went out of business (too bad) and some guy bought up a big chunk of the inventory & has been selling them on Ebay. I've bought 4 or 5 more of them from him (never paying more than $180 for any of them). He has several body styles- tele' date=' strat(like)- Parker Fly- etc. All in all I'm very impressed with the guitars and am sorry they didn't catch on & the company went belly-up. If you get a chance surf Ebay for 'Switch' guitars. I'm pretty sure you'll be very satisfied if you buy one (don't pay more than $200. I've seen a couple other sites trying to sell them for upwards of $500). The only style I didn't like was the 'Innovo'. I may still buy one or two more if I can swing it.

This Vibracell stuff is pretty cool. Totally immune to temperature or humidity. Cool looking, too.

One of these days I'll post a pic of all my Switch guitars either here or the 'other' forum.[/quote']

Thats the ones I was talking about!!! Thanks Slim! They were cool guitars...just way ahead of thier time. Back a couple years ago a guy near Orlando had a dealership with them, when they went out of business he donated what he had left ...5 or 6, to churches and youth groups. So I missed out on getting one by about a month.

He said the same thing...good little guitars that you could use as a boat paddle, then just hook it up and play it afterwards.

Routing them out for modding (he said) was a mess cause the lil' beads would go everywhere after the bond was broke.

Capt

Archived