Gibson Brands Forums

Repair gone bad....

touron

Hey guys.

I almost lost it today... My Epiphone Les Paul had broken the nut. I took it to be fixed and was sooo excited to pick it up today. When I got there my heart broke. They chipped the the finish on the headstock!!!! THEY CHIPPED THE FINISH ON THE HEADSTOCK!!! I don't even know how bad cause the truss rod cover was on. What you could see was about the size of an eraser.

At first the shop acted like I brought it in that way!!!!!

Finally I got the repair guy over and he admitted he did it....But then to say "it happens but the guitar will play fine, and due to the Epiphone finish it can't be repaired".....????? Then it was like "have a nice day"

I didn't leave. I talked on the cellphone and paced back and forth outside the store for 20min(trying to calm down).. Then the owner came out and said we will get this fixed.

So finally my question is, what if they mess this up and it looks terrible? What to do then.....

I am thinking of going by there tomorrow to ask how they plan on fixing it and to look under the cover.

Thanks for listening

touron

IMG_2525-1.jpgI miss you buddy!

Sorry to hear that.....that sux out loud !!!!! As pi$$ed off as I know you are, I'd try to remain as calm as possible in dealing with them. The burden is definitely on them to get it fixed and fixed to your satisfaction - have them ship it to a Gibson refurbishing center to do it, perhaps, I dunno ...... but hopefully they'll make it right AND majorly kiss yer arse somehow - mucho store credit, perhaps ??? ... pay you for your pain and suffering ??? Don't let them get away with a shoddy job, but acting as civil as possible under the circumstances will be better on your behalf, as hard as that will be. Hang in there, and I hope it's resolved to your satisfaction.

Yes definitely remain composed (as difficult as it is) and let them have a go at fixing it. If it was me I wouldn't have paid for the repaired nut and would have asked them to fix the guitar or pay for new one/buy it from me to compensate.

My response would've been a bit like this:

"Wait......That's MY guitar?

Oh No sir, my guitar did NOT come to your store in that condition.

Try Again.

Are you telling me that you've damaged it?

Hold on, I'll be right back.

(take a pause...go out and talk on that cell)

I just phoned my lawyer. He is taking an early lunch break to come on down to see what he thinks about this.

I'll see you guys in a bit, OK?"

On more than one occasion this verbal trick has worked. Not necessarily on guitars always, but my cars paint job was abit sticky, so.....

One thing for sure and I don't mean to overstate this but I would see this cituation through until it is rectified and then I would never let them handle any of my instruments again. This whole thing shows a lack of integrity on there behalf, I understand accidents do happen but the fact that they failed to stand up and handle the cituation properly is a major problem in my book.

mgm

I understand when the nut is removed, sometimes a little wood comes with it (and the glue holding it in place) but they tried to pretend it didn't happen and hope you wouldn't notice - not cool! Plus it sounds like more than just a "little wood". Was it purchased at the place where the repair was being done? How long ago? I would think they should give you a new one if they can't fix it to your satisfaction. I'm sure they will come through - just remind them how much money you've spent there in the past if possible... hang in there

I agree with Brian H. Stay calm and if worse comes to worse, take them to small claims court. Hopefully they will fix it and if its not to bad you might just take it the way it is and demand they give you a guitar of equal value. Good luck!

Take a box of strings and a handful of picks and call it a day. That stuff does happen, especially when trying to seperate the nut from the neck with all that poly holding it together. Poly finishes are difficult to repair. If it's hiding under the TRC it's partly hidden anyway. It isn't really going to affect the value or playability of the guitar at all. It just adds to the breaking in/mojo. One step toward relicing. All the more reason to by a nitro finished guitar.

I agree with the idea of being as calm as possible, but definitely make them fix it or compensate you, that's what is fair. I'm in business school right now (double-major in h.r. management and advertising) and we are constantly told that the WORST thing for a small business (I'm guessing it's a local shop) is to lose their good rep and have somebody in the community telling everybody about their bad experiences. I mean business is tough for these smaller places (with mf and guitar center out there choking them to death) so my point is is that THEY CANT AFFORD for you to walk away angry. Because if you do, you will tell everybody around you "don't go to ________________, they will mess you over" and that's practically a poison pill for that shop.

Bummer, dude. Be firm! they should fix it or compensate you. The worst of it is that they didn't 'fess-up up front. I mean, sh*t happens. Just be honest. Since they weren't, get 'em to fix it. Then never go back. Anybody can make a mistake. But dishonesty is for a rare few, and tells all. Cheers.

That stuff does happen' date=' especially when trying to seperate the nut from the neck with all that poly holding it together. Poly finishes are difficult to repair. [/quote']

True it does happen, but sounds like an awful big chunk came off - check out the instructions for replacing a nut on Graphtech's site:

Click HERE!

Step 1 = score the lacquer with an exacto knife . . .

This sounds like the nut was forced out without deeply scoring the poly urethane around the nut first

as another poster has already mentioned. A thin fine tooth luthiers saw would have done the scoring

down to the bottom of the nut at the truss rod side.

The luthier/shop should have the expertise to replace the nut and ensure that there is no damage to

the finish on the guitar. If they chipped it, then I would think they are responsible for fixing it as well.

Be diplomatic, but be firm and insist on a repair that makes it as good as new.

So....

The shop says they can not fix the chip. I have called around town and no one does finish repair.

The shop is offering a swap out. They will trade my guitar with one in the shop for around the same 2009 retail price. (I thought that was nice cause the guitar is 1 1/2yrs old and cost less then) I guess he resales my guitar and prolly breaks even.(I am just guessing at his wholesale price)

The bad news is...they are not a Epiphone dealer.

The other options is take my guitar as is.

I asked about store credit at "his" estimate for the repair cost. I received a firm "no".

The other option is get a new guitar, try to sell it and get another Ephiphone.

What do you guys think?

They claim the guitar plays fine, but I don't know yet.

The shop is offering a swap out. They will trade my guitar with one in the shop for around the same 2009 retail price. (I thought that was nice cause the guitar is 1 1/2yrs old and cost less then) I guess he resales my guitar and prolly breaks even.(I am just guessing at his wholesale price) The bad news is...they are not a Epiphone dealer.

I guess it depends on what they have available. If what you really want is another blue Epi LP, might be kinda hard to find something equally as intruiging. But of you were getting tired of it, it could be a good time to try something new...

It depends on what guitars they sell. Also you did nothing wrong, they screwed up, remind them of that. Maybe have a friend dress up in a suit and go in there with you acting like he is a lawyer. Have him ask to see the guitar and take pictures of it. That might be going a little overboard but it will probably scare the hell out of them. If you really like your guitar and it plays fine and you don't like what they have then demand that he gives you an amp or pedal or something. Remember they are at fault not you, have your disguised friend remind them of that and that if you went to small claims court they would be held liable for the damages PLUS the court costs and the damage to their reputation. Remind them that they would obviously lose the case because THEY, not you, are at fault.

i wonder what the shop would do if you came in and took one of their guitars off the rack and chipped it?? i doubt they would simply let it slide and tell you not to worry as the guitar still plays the same!!!!

That actually happened to me......I dropped a guitar on several others that were on a stand. One got chipped about the size of a pea....I almost said....I will buy it......however they said don't worry about it. I have bought 5 guitars and several amps from them. They are good people. I say be firm but not nasty.

So....

The shop says they can not fix the chip. I have called around town and no one does finish repair.

The shop is offering a swap out. They will trade my guitar with one in the shop for around the same 2009 retail price. (I thought that was nice cause the guitar is 1 1/2yrs old and cost less then) I guess he resales my guitar and prolly breaks even.(I am just guessing at his wholesale price)

The bad news is...they are not a Epiphone dealer.

The other options is take my guitar as is.

I asked about store credit at "his" estimate for the repair cost. I received a firm "no".

The other option is get a new guitar' date=' try to sell it and get another Ephiphone.

What do you guys think?

They claim the guitar plays fine, but I don't know yet.[/quote']

The guitar is probably functional, as the shop claims and would play ok, but

they have not completed the repair to your satisfaction..and that is the key issue.

It all depends on wheter you signed a waiver on the repair estimate in the shop that the shop is not

responsible for any damage to the guitar while in the shop...and you should never

sign that kind of waiver on the repair estimate unless you have no choice and willing

to accept whatever happens. Usually for something simple like replacing a nut, it's not

necessary, but that depends on the shop.

Here's an Example:

If you take your car into a shop to get repaired and the shop damages it in the

process of repairing it..dents or scratches. The shop is responsible for completing

the repairs to your satisfaction to where it was BEFORE it got damaged by the shop.

The same applies to your guitar. Some shops that do a lot of luthier work may

have insurance to cover these situations. Even if the shop has offered a

solution to you (swap guitars), if you are not satisfied with that, and want

to keep your Epiphone, you can take the guitar to a luthier for an estimate

and bring the estimate back to the shop. I think that before you go to the

effort of registering your claim in a small claims court, you need to have the

second option explored..estimated or repaired by a experienced luthier.

If the shop refuses the cost of repair, then you more than likely have a case

that will satisfy a small claims court judge to rule in your favor.

Poly finishes can be repaired, and chipped out black areas can be repaired

satisfactorily. (I have worked with poly finishes and black headstock plastic and have done numerous

repairs to my own guitars, so I know it's doable, but you need the skills to do it..that particular shop

may not.

If your guitar was a Gibson, worth several hundred and you like the way it played, I'm sure you would

insist that it be repaired properly.

Wow!!! What a big waste of time....

So I go to the shop and say what do you have for me to look at.

I figured he would have 3 maby 4 guitars. I prolly played about 12!!

I even said to the guy, wow I didn't think I would have this many options.

The guy asked what did you like. This Washburn was my favorite out of the group.(it was close to a LP body)

He looks at it and says, this one is a little more expensive. I will need about $300.

What the hell is this dude talking about!!!!!!! I almost lost it!!

I calmly reminded him that he mentioned swapping the my guitar for another one. And I asked to see what was available. This guy is trying to upsell me?!? He ignored my comments and kept trying to show me more guitars!?!

No one in town does finish work. Even the luthier in town doesn't do any.

I could take him to small claims court but I have no repair estimates(cost) to show the judge.

It is just the principle of the situation.

Archived