Gibson Brands Forums

help me with an lp wiring diagram?

Stitch

hi

i am in desperate need of assistance

i want to put a humbucker in the neck position and a tele stack single coil in the bridge position.

firstly i am open to any opinions or advice about this project.

now

i am using a LP Special 2

i am using mostly parts i have laying around for this modification(it really is going to be a frankenstein) so what i have is:

1x ESP Ltd LH-100 bridge humbucker, 1x Epiphone G&B bridge humbucker??? standard in Special 2, 1x duncan design tele stack, 2x ESP Ltd B500K volume pots, 2x jack

whatever else i need i will probably buy from www.guitarparts.co.nz

i will be making a large copper scratch plate that covers the face of the body so plenty of room to hide things away

as far as controls i want a 3 way switch but im not sure what would be better a tele style selector or a LP style toggle (whats the difference?)

and two volume pots, will i need a 250K for the single coil and a 500K for the humbucker? because at the moment i have two 500K pots.

and i will be keeping the standard bridge, could this be a problem with the shape and angle of the single coil?

so could anyone draw up a quick wiring diagram for me of how i would put this all together? i am hopeless when it comes to connecting wires

thanks heaps for any feedback

-Daniel

Here is a link to a lot of good wiring diagrams ---> wiring diagrams site link

Any reason why you are going this route rather than simply installing a push/pull pot to coil split your bridge humbucker?

3-way switches vary as to position contacts (such as on-off-on, on-on-on, etc). I can't say what your tele switch is but the link I provided has parts and descriptions so you can find out there as well.

Best of luck on your project and WELCOME to the forum!

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

thanks for that, guys

i dont have a switch so im just thinking of whats better and i love tele's

lol at the moment the les paul has been all fibreglass filled so the neck pickup hole and the holes for the controls are filled too so i got a bit of a job ahead.

it just has a on/off switch, flat black paint and scalloped frets 12 to 22 and tuned same as a baritone

so i figured i'd make something a bit more my style, like a LP body with zamaitis cosmetics and tele/bluesboy hardware

the big copper scratchplate is going to be the most annoying

I've been looking all over the net for something that shares a similar layout and I've come to find the G&L Bluesboy is pretty much what i want it set out as far as the electrics go

but heres the thing, will a 500K volume pot be too much for the tele stack? if so maybe a 300k? or 250k even

also, is painting the fretboard (full primer, colour and clear) something i should not do?

Cheers

... will a 500K volume pot be too much for the tele stack? if so maybe a 300k? or 250k even

also' date=' is painting the fretboard (full primer, colour and clear) something i should not do? Cheers[/quote']

Pots are cheap. Try both and use what works for you.

Painting the fretboard? Sure you can do it. The reason why it isn't commonly done is that paint will show wear marks so be prepared it could look quite worn in a short time. But you said it's been modded (scalloped) so it may not matter much and if you use a good hard finish paint -- like a poly -- it may look good for years.

Fiberglass filled cavities? What the??? Sounds like you have a lot of free time on your hands. Luck to you.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

ok cool, sounds good, i assume the number has something to do with the volume?

yea i dont think the strings are going to be touching the actual rosewood so i might consider it =]

haha yeah i USED to ...becoming a father in the last year restricts my time a little but was using the fibreglass not such a good idea?

also what is a good material for a full face scratchplate other than sheetmetal or normal scratchplate sheet?

also what is a good material for a full face scratchplate other than sheetmetal or normal scratchplate sheet?

Well I'm doing something very similar (full coverage plate) and my line of work gives me certain connections that I will be exploiting to get a custom design cut into aluminium and polished up to a mirror finish to go on a black body with all chrome hardware. I think it'll look nice.

I've been looking all over the net for something that shares a similar layout and I've come to find the G&L Bluesboy is pretty much what i want it set out as far as the electrics go

but heres the thing' date=' will a 500K volume pot be too much for the tele stack? if so maybe a 300k? or 250k even

also, is painting the fretboard (full primer, colour and clear) something i should not do?

Cheers[/quote']

I built my own custom designed LP type "Bluesmaster" based on the Gibby Blueshawk/Nighthawk,

except mine is neck through with hollow wings and a larger 14" lower bout.

I used 2 GFS mean 90s and a neo 9 humbucker in the middle, with a strat styled

5 way switch, 250K pots, although 300K would be better..Gibson do have those

for the Les Paul. I haven't gotten around to ordering the actual Gibson style 300k controls

but for the time being installed a 47K resistor in series with the ground lug of the

master volume. The two tone pots are 250K.

Here's a source of some of the parts, including a long shaft 300k pot..

http://www.grguitars.com/parts_5electronics.htm

If you are just using a neck and a bridge, then the p_up combos are within

the range of the 3 way, and a 5 way wont do much for you, as you need the

middle p_up to fill the 5 positions..

1: Neck 2:Neck + mid 3: mid 4: Mid+ Bridge and 5: Bridge

Archived