Gibson Brands Forums

Re-plating gold hardware..

duane v

My 81 Gibby LP Custom has been sent to my Luthier to have new frets installed... The original flat wide frets were very uncomfortable for me which is why it never was played.

As I was looking over the gold hardware, it sure looks like crap, however the gold plating on the schaller/gibson stamped tuners have held up pretty darn well. The finish on the guitar itself is still in absolutely fantastic condition, but the bridge, tailpiece and pup covers just make the guitar look very dingy.

Basically the guitar will be gone for a month or so, but as I was talking to my Luthier, he suggested just purchasing new Gibson hardware, but I'm a little hesitant because the guitar is all original. So I received a quote to re-plate the gold hardware and I almost fainted8-[ .....$375 for the bridge/tail piece assemblies which also includes the stud anchors..... $125 for the pup covers and pick guard bracket.

What would you guys do.... I do have $800 to spend on this guitar, and the fret job is running me $250.....

My 81 Gibby LP Custom has been sent to my Luthier to have new frets installed... The original flat wide frets were very uncomfortable for me which is why it never was played.

As I was looking over the gold hardware' date=' it sure looks like crap, however the gold plating on the schaller/gibson stamped tuners have held up pretty darn well. The finish on the guitar itself is still in absolutely fantastic condition, but the bridge, tailpiece and pup covers just make the guitar look very dingy.

Basically the guitar will be gone for a month or so, but as I was talking to my Luthier, he suggested just purchasing new Gibson hardware, but I'm a little hesitant because the guitar is all original. So I received a quote to re-plate the gold hardware and I almost fainted8-[ .....$375 for the bridge/tail piece assemblies which also includes the stud anchors..... $125 for the pup covers and pick guard bracket.

What would you guys do.... I do have $800 to spend on this guitar, and the fret job is running me $250..... [/quote']

Is it possible to make direct contact with the company that does the "replating"? The reason I ask

is that in my job, one of the things I do is to PURCHASE goods and services for my company. Here is my

thinking....

1. The "stuff" you want "replated" you can hold in one hand.

2. To include those items in a "relpating run" would be as difficult as hanging them on a hook,

then passing the items thru the appropriate plate/wash/rinse cycle.

3. Your "Luthier" is unfortunately for you is INCUDING his "mark-up" from said services. (Normally

cost + 20%).

4. If you are able to DIRECTLY contact the company, ask about Pricing, THEN MENTION that you

ARE A MODERATOR on the EPI Forum, and could "possibly" refer their services to

"others" with the same problems, and "how much would they charge to replate... etc, etc, etc.".

Not that I KNOW anything, but I sure know how many "doors" get opened by being

"Mr. Nice Guy" on the phone... It WORKS, FOLKS!!! Trust me....

I don`t now why you will ever consider it. If the parts is okei and functional, i see now reson to change them. An old Gibby with worn parts/ finish got alot of "mojo/soul/coolness/lived life" kind of thing that new guitars simply do not have. Fender and Gibson are making so called relicks now and crave silly money for them. If the parts are disfunctional i would change, but save the orginal (without, resale value would be hurt).

(I really mean, your lucky bastard. I wish i Could afford to buy a gibby lester custom) (Oops! i was only thinking the last part)

I don`t now why you will ever consider it. If the parts is okei and functional' date=' i see now reson to change them. An old Gibby with worn parts/ finish got alot of "mojo/soul/coolness/lived life" kind of thing that new guitars simply do not have. Fender and Gibson are making so called relicks now and crave silly money for them. If the parts are disfunctional i would change, but save the orginal (without, resale value would be hurt).

[/quote'] My thoughts exactly (my spelling, ehhhhh, not so much :-k )

I don`t now why you will ever consider it. If the parts is okei and functional' date=' i see now reson to change them. An old Gibby with worn parts/ finish got alot of "mojo/soul/coolness/lived life" kind of thing that new guitars simply do not have. Fender and Gibson are making so called relicks now and crave silly money for them. If the parts are disfunctional i would change, but save the orginal (without, resale value would be hurt).

(I really mean, your lucky bastard. I wish i Could afford to buy a gibby lester custom) (Oops! i was only thinking the last part)[/quote']

I here what you're saying, but I like my guitars to look bright and well presenting, especially if I start playing them again. I'm not really into that relic look that seems to be popular, even though I am a bit lazy when it comes to dusting them off.

Cant wait to get her back with the taller frets

Duane, I had my '66 Gretsch "Country Gentleman" parts re-plated...so they're still the "original" parts, but have

been re-stored. I did it in Los Angeles, but I would think any major city would have a company that does gold

plating. They "double plated" the parts I had done, it was almost 30 years ago, and they still look like new.

Granted, it doesn't get played "out" (gigged) any, but it does get played! I wipe it down, afterwards, and every

now and then, use a soft 100% Cotton cloth, dampened (not really wet), with normal (non-abrasive) bar soap,

and will gently clean the gold plating. Works like a charm, and it looks great, still. Now...If I could only find someone

to rebind it, it would be in wonderful condition. Old Gretsch (and some Gibson) guitars, of that period, that have

"nitrocellulose" binding, have a nasty habit of losing the binding in bits and pieces. The places I've asked about

having it rebound, want the cost of a new "White Falcon" to do it. So...that's not going to happen, at least not

anytime soon. ;>b

CB

who said anything about my guitar being a relic???? Or "bling" and it not being a "real lived life" guitar????

I just want the hardware brightened up a bit and taller frets.... That's the way I want it to be, because that's how I like my guitars.

I'd go with replacing the parts. Keep the old ones for resale value, if that's what you want.

I too, do not like my guitars to look old because of cracked plating or any other thing.

I work hard at keepin' em like new!

I'd go with replacing the parts. Keep the old ones for resale value' date=' if that's what you want.

I too, do not like my guitars to look old because of cracked plating or any other thing.

I work hard at keepin' em like new![/quote']

I'll see how the color buffing comes out... My Luthier told me I would be happy with the results.

And I'm with you in trying to keep guitars looking nice.

+1 for replace and save the old stuff.

The Seymour Duncan 59s I put in my PRS copy have already started to lose the gold plating, and it's only been a few months. I'm with you on liking to keep guitars looking nice... That's why I run from gold hardware whenever I can. I like the look, but it always seems to get all pitted and nasty looking so fast. I'm thinking about contacting SD about the pups, but I don't expect any effort to replace them... I think the warranty states it does not cover finish. Lame.

I think he's doing it for free.... I inquired about plating prices, and he suggested just to replace the hardware. After the price was on the high side for plating, he just said he would color buff the parts, because I want to keep the original hardware.

Gold plate is usually very very thin and this color buffing process sounds to me like it's going to remove gold in order to provide shine. You might end up with silvery looking gold. The guys who have suggested to save the old parts and buy new ones are right on target.

And what's up with badmouthing a guy who wants his gibby to look nice? His tuners look great, his finish looks great, I can 100% understand why he wouldn't want the body hardware to look like crap. I'm also a proud member of the shiny new-looking guitar club. To me a guitar that has that relicy look simply has an owner who's too lazy (ok or too busy) to maintain it properly.

The Gotoh bridge from Stemac on my main Epi LP is starting to get a little silvery from the heel muting I do by resting my hand on the top of the saddles. I'd buy another Gotoh for $20 something bucks and replace it and keep the old parts for inclusion or replacement if I were to sell it. If you are brand sensitive, buy a Gibson bridge and install it, keeping the old parts in a bag for future use after buffing.

On my Strat, the allen screws on the saddles are bad about corroding and those are available at most dealers. I bought a Fender screw set that contained the bridge screws, pickup screws, and the pickguard screws for mine. My chrome bridge itself was OK.

The bridge and the tailpiece seems it can be brightened up, but the pup covers are concerning because of the edges and the corners.... I guess I could find some used gold pup covers in the event they can't be brought back to life

Replace the offensive parts but keep the originals as they are. A potential buyer (at some later date) may be more interested in the originals since lots of dudes like worn and vintage looking parts. Heck you may like it better one day yourself.

I used to spend tons of time polishing my guitars but over time and seeing how cool the worn vintage guits look I can't wait for them to age. It has nothing to do with being lazy, just a personal preference which it seems to me on these forums is only a reason for others to pass judgement anyway.

You could replace all those parts for less than replating, which makes them less valuable due to the refinishing.

To me a guitar that has that relicy look simply has an owner who's too lazy (ok or too busy) to maintain it properly.

I can't agree with this statement. There's a difference between a nice aged guitar with nicks dings and scuffs that looks good and a guitar that just never gets cleaned...

Archived