Gibson Brands Forums

5881 valves?

does anyone have any experience with the 5881 valves?

i know how the're built and **** but what do they sound like? what kind of distortions and cleans to these badboys give?

I know that L6Ls give creamy distortions (Love these)

and EL34s give a crispy distortion ( like classical rock) and a sparkly clean (Not such a fan of these)

i know there are some more (Theres a large large bottle one too but i cant remember the name)

If any of you veterans can give me a hand here id greatly appreciate it.

5881 = 6L6

They're the same valve (5881 is the European designation & 6L6 is the US ASAIK) so will have the same basic sound. Different manufacturers and ages will be different but that's about all.

Just should add one thing (taken from www.vacuumtubes.com site)

5881/6L6WGB

This tube was first developed by TungSol for the US Military. They are in short stubby glass envelopes. There is no difference between the 6L6WGB or the 5881, they are the same tube. The 5881 has a maximum plate rating of 360 volts at 23 watts and a maximum screen rating of 270 volts at 3 watts. DO NOT USE IN AMPS CALLING FOR 6L6GC's. They will likely melt down and damage your amp.

Possibly worth having a look here too - lots of info

www.harpamps.com/micKtubes/

5881 are close to 6l6 but do sound different . Break up sooner and not as much headroom as 6l6.

Depends which 6L6 - true if comparing with a 6L6GC not if comparing with a 6L6WGB which should have exactly the same characteristics as the 5881.

:-& :-&

Depends which 6L6 - true if comparing with a 6L6GC not if comparing with a 6L6WGB which should have exactly the same characteristics as the 5881.

This is supposed to be true ' date='but as we all know No two tubes are alike .thus giving us tube tweakers something to do with our[ ultra sensitive tuned ears']

Archived