Gibson Brands Forums

Which one is better value for the money

slasher1319

There are a lot of nice used MIM strats out there for $250-$275. (I'm constantly tempted by them.) You could put the remainder towards that Lucille and eventually have one of each.

I agree with ef_in_la, I would buy a used strat and maybe even a used tele too. But thats just because I'm not a fan of the Lucille. It is a great guitar but I just don't get that GAS feeling when I see one.

Hi' date=' which of the following electrics are better? the epiphone lucille or the fender mexican strat. I am considering this because all the fender strats mim are now 449 instead of 549-599. thanks[/quote']

MIM Strats have crappy pickups constructed with ceramic magnets. If you use a distortion pedal all the time, you may like them.

Gary

Hi' date=' which of the following electrics are better? the epiphone lucille or the fender mexican strat. I am considering this because all the fender strats mim are now 449 instead of 549-599. thanks[/quote']

Better, or a better buy? The strat would seem to be a better buy.

It depends on which Mexican Strat you get... I have a Deluxe Players Strat which has Vintage Noisless Pickups, whereas the Standard Strat has something else.

As far as I'm concerned, the Deluxe Players Strat (and maybe the Roadhouse or whatever it's called) is the best-value Strat available now.

It depends, both guitars are good and gives you different sounds. As mentioned before

the strat is a versatile guitar. Good for producing clean sounds while Lucille provides you the

humbucking "thick" sound.

Given a chance i have to choose only one, I'd go for Lucille.

Every Mex-made strat I've tried goes out of tune after 5 minutes of playing. My BB King Epi has a hard tail so it's not a problem' date=' stays in tune OK. The Epi Lucille is about $700 . . . [/quote']

thanks axe.

I'd go with the one you like. the price difference isnt huge...

Had a couple of MIM strats - never had a tuning issue with them. Maybe I was just lucky. Great value for the $$. I'd get one of them before I spent high $$ on another American one, but that's just me.

I really like Epiphone archtops, so the Lucille is great too, but they are totally different beasts. It really depends on what you want in terms of sound and what suits you.

Me? Like someone mentioned - I'd buy used and get one of each if I could!!! Then you would have the bases covered.....

Had a couple of MIM strats - never had a tuning issue with them. .

Ahh that's something to consider, do you do a lot of string bending? I used to play a lot of blues and I bend my strings a lot, sometimes 1.5 step bends - probably why I had trouble. Without all that bending I bet the MIM strats would stay in tune ok...

p.s. that white strat looks hot larkin

MIM Strats have crappy pickups constructed with ceramic magnets. If you use a distortion pedal all the time' date=' you may like them.

Gary[/quote']

+1...........the 60hz. "hum" produced by the MIM's singlecoils can be very irritating.

Unless you WANT to change the pickups right off the bat, the Lucille would be the way to go.

In my opinion, the current crop of Squier Classic Vibe guitars are far superior to the Standard Mexican Fenders.

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?section=guitars&cat=stratocaster&subcat=classicvibeseries

558024.jpg

You can pick up one of these for $349, and then go shopping for a semi.

BTW, can I ask - why the Lucille? I always get the impression that the Lucille is a guitar that people either definitely want to acquire (or not). Have you thought about just tracking down a decent Dot?

08121501361-front-l.jpg

You can buy the Squier Strat and the Dot for just $49 more than the cost of the Lucille alone. And if you are already considering a Lucille, then the Dot's neck will probably be just fine for you...

Archived