Gibson Brands Forums

Can you Put EL34 Tubes in So cal 50 AMP

Any other info on those 7 pin EL34's?

Most EL34's should have 8 pins but I think the Groove Tubes EL34R's have 7 pins.

They should work fine since its an EL34 but I'm not an expert.

I just put a new pair of Electro-Harmonix EL34's in my new So-Cal and they sound great.

I still have the Ruby EL34B's that came with mine, great tubes, but I like the EH's a little better.

Let me know how they sound if you fire them up!

Here's some more info on my situation. I just bought the amp used and wanted to upgrade the tubes. The amp looks like new and the seller said it is one year old. The previous owner didn't mention if he had changed the power tubes, so I'm not sure if the amp has the original power tubes.

Everything I've read about the SoCal said it takes EL34 tubes, so I found a new pair of JJ EL34's on Craigslist and bought them. Last night I went to change them and noticed that the existing tubes were EL34-B's. They said "made in China", "Electron Tube". I had heard the factory tubes were "Ruby Tubes", but these did not say Ruby anywhere. The EL84-B's have 8 pins, while the EL84's have 7. I googled EL84-B and found only one reference, and it said the resistance was higher on the B's. I decided to try them, and they seemed to work fine, but I want to be sure the the EL34's are completely compatible.

I am going down the a local Epiphone dealer to see if they know the difference, but they don't do amp repair/mods in house, so may not get a solid answer from them. Any advice from you guys is appreciated!

Thanks,

Michael

update-I went to the Epiphone dealer today and checked out a new SoCal 50. It has the same tubes (EL34-:) as mine. The salesman said there shouldn't be any problem running the standard EL34's. He suggested having the amp biased for the new JJ EL34's, I would like to save the time and money if biasing is not really needed. Any advice appreciated. I will reinstall tomorrow and see how it works. On the first try, I really liked the sound of the new tubes, they made a noticable difference.

Regards,

Michael

No probs at all with my EH EL34's so far without a biasing adjustment. They are 8 pin tubes and standard EL34 bottle size, not the bigger bottle like the Ruby EL34B's are. I get a better crunch and a little more managable volume with the EH's.

I figure if they sound good, aren't noisy or crackling and there isn't smoke or a burning odor coming from the amp, then run them, LOL!!!

:D/

Archived