Gibson Brands Forums

What happened to this white Les Paul?

bluelake07

I've never seen such a discolored guitar. Here

Seller says, "Loaded with vibe this old Les Paul looks like it have been in bed with Jimmy Page and vomited on by Clapton, aged white finish has turned a almost golden yellow burst. ". Was this from 25 years of playing in smoky places, or was the paint Gibson was using at the time the cause or something else? The guitar also has a repaired neck, but the seller is only asking $1989 for it; what a deal on a classic LP for a lucky lefty!

There's a shop near where I work, and I often stop by the front window after work to have a look (It's on my way to the bus station - why not?). Usually the stuff they sell is mid-priced Fenders and until recently Epiphone, that kind of thing. Anyway, they had one that had been discolored not much different to that one.

Both must have been gigged to within an inch of their lives in smoky clubs, as you say. It's the only thing I can think of.

lespaulcustom_3.jpg

I don't think this was gigged in a smokey club, I think it was hung on the wall in a smokey club that maybe served BBQ in addition to the usual libations. (I was prepared to say this wasn't really a white guitar until I saw the inside of the control cavity.)

I know left-handed Epis are relatively rare, but I would pass on this mess without a more substantial discount. '89 isn't particularly a desirable year anyway. Just MY opinion, but I AM infallible. ;-)

At first I was also going to say that it was never white but after a few seconds... Wow! I wasn't sure whether I liked it and had mixed emotions but it came out on top. I wouldn't pay that price with that repair but I actually really like the look of that thing. Care for a Smoked Paul anyone?

The guitar also has a repaired neck, but the seller is only asking $1989 for it; what a deal on a classic LP for a lucky lefty!
Not really a good deal. A "repaired" neck isn't going to stay repaired forever, and from the look of that crack, all it would take is, a good enough bump, to totally "SNAP" that guitar in half! I wouldn't give him more than $900 for it, considering, it will probably cost wayyyy!!! more than that to get a new neck put on it.

I'll bet he would take $1700 and it would be a pretty darn good deal..... The break on the neck doesn't look like a big deal, though I would never purchase a guitar with a broken neck.

If I was left handed picker I would offer $1700 and feel pretty good about it....

Guest icantbuyafender
I'll bet he would take $1700 and it would be a pretty darn good deal..... The break on the neck doesn't look like a big deal' date=' though I would never purchase a guitar with a broken neck.

If I was left handed picker I would offer $1700 and feel pretty good about it....[/quote']

duane said it best. 1500-1700 MAX. lucky lefties!!!

Im GASing for a vintage white or TV yellow paul now...:-s

it's fire damage folks................only extreme heat does that to nitro(laquer)

That's a good possibility.

My other guess would be water / damp damage.

I once saw a Telecaster that had come out of a damp basement, being sold by a house-clearance guy. The same sort of damage to the white (nitro) finish.

There's a lot more than smoke involved in the story of this particular Les Paul, I think.

Perhaps the only smoking involved is by the seller, who thinks it's worth nearly $2,000.

The book value for a Les Paul Custom from 1984 in excellent condition is $2200-2400, and I've seen them go for right around that quite a few times on eBay or on various internet sites.

The condition of this guitar isn't even close to "fair". Before I'd pay even $1500, I would save the extra pennies and get one that hadn't been burnt, broken, drown and tortured. The seller is out of his mind.

Archived