Gibson Brands Forums

EF-500R vs EF-500RCCE

mattvl

Does anybody have access to both of these guitars? I haven't had the chance to play either but I've heard a few recordings as well as played a DR-500M that I recently purchased and I am very interested in the fingerstyle body type. I know someone who is selling an RCCE but as I am at school and out of town I have not had the chance to play it. The cedar seems to sound darker which I generally like as I took my first degree playing classical but I've also noticed that the bright and snappy sound of spruce in some of the blues recordings sounds fantastic. Does anybody know of any recordings that give direct comparisons of the two or have enough experience to help me out here?

EDIT: Can anyone post a picture of the saddle angle on an EF-500 because the one I'm looking at purchasing has a slight tilt away from the bridge pins which has me slightly worried (although I know of someone else who has the same "problem").

Yeah, I've got that same problem on my RCCE. There's the tiniest gap on the pin side of the saddle but it's not so bad that it affects the playability or action. I'll probably get around to buying a larger saddle and custom-fitting it one day, but it really doesn't seem to have had any effect on the guitar at all.

Hmm...I wonder if they were all done like that. Maybe they changed the bridge thickness at some point but didn't change the slot for all the bridges? I find it odd that I haven't actually heard of anyone specifically say that they didn't have that problem. Is the intonation on yours still correct or does the bridge set the notes off slightly?

Archived