Gibson Brands Forums

What SG is this?

Swoop

Can anyone tell me what model of SG this is? I initially thought it might be a G-310 because of the absence of neck binding, and only dot inlays, but it looks to have a set neck and of course the G-310 has a bolt neck and a large pickguard as opposed to the small one on this. Plus if you look at the position of the bridge, it's quite close to the pickup whereas a G-320 bridge is further away. Seems to be a bit strange.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=212860934

Looks dead fishy to me. It looks dissimilar to any type or era of G-400 I've ever seen.

... Just noticed the lower side (bottom when standing) of the guitar is heavily bevelled. That's far far too much bevelling, on an SG or an Epi copy, that bevelling is nearly nil.

Plus the Tailpiece looks crooked and I'd sure like a better look at the headstock.

I'm calling fake on this one.

Guest alanhindle

Bingo. Thanks Alan.

My pleasure Ebb.

Swoop...let us know what you find out about it and/or decide to do.

Old G400 you reckon? Cool. I asked the guy what model of SG it is. He doesn't seem to know, but he provided the serial number. Built in the Samick plant in Korea (same as my LP Custom) in 1994. I thought it was probably a bit older. What do you guys reckon, worth getting? It's a very good price but I think I'd prefer a newer one to be honest. I prefer the neck binding and trapezoid inlays.

I have other things I should spend my money, or lack of, on at the moment so I think it'll have to stay put! =D>

Guest alanhindle
Old G400 you reckon? Cool. I asked the guy what model of SG it is. He doesn't seem to know' date=' but he provided the serial number. Built in the Samick plant in Korea (same as my LP Custom) in 1994. I thought it was probably a bit older. What do you guys reckon, worth getting? It's a very good price but I think I'd prefer a newer one to be honest. I prefer the neck binding and trapezoid inlays.

I have other things I should spend my money, or lack of, on at the moment so I think it'll have to stay put! =D> [/quote']

Starting bid's NZ$300. I make that GBP£119 or USD$177 so it seems reasonable given the age. Maybe track it and see if he sells it and wait for the extra photos he's promised on the listing.

If you want both binding and trapezoid inlays your options are:

-Used G400 Vintage (last listed in 2004 catalogue). NB. Faded finish rather than full poly but may be able to find for a good price too.

-Used Elitist or one of the Epiphone Japan versions

-G400 Custom (Cream with 3 Humbuckers)

Alan

Feel... is a subjective thing. I own five G-400's Two "U", One "I", One "EE", and an "S" from '95. It looked

about like this or worse when I got it. I got it as a beater and wound up redoing the whole thing after it

became my favorite. Something about it just feels better than the others. The neck profile fits me better,

maybe it's my imagination, maybe it's mojo voodoo but if I ever have to liquidate my herd - the "S" won't be

leavin' unless I'm dead. It ain't as attractive as most others, (at first)... but with good quality trim and hard

ware it will hold it's own in the looks department with any of them. I think there might actually be a tad more

angle on the bevels, which may make it look more Gibson-like, can't really say for sure. The finish is good and

seemingly a shade darker than most which really snaps next to some chrome. Good luck in however you

decide to go but I personally have found this one of mine more comfortable and playable than others from

both Unsung and China

Wedgie

Starting bid's NZ$300. I make that GBP£119 or USD$177 so it seems reasonable given the age. Maybe track it and see if he sells it and wait for the extra photos he's promised on the listing.

Don't forget this is New Zealand we are talking about. Basically double the price in USD and add 50% to get the price in NZ. Even for used guitars. =P~

Want to suggest some reasons that lead you to that expert opinion?

Well first off, the logo os raised to high.

Second off, the headstock is cut to rounded off

Thirdly, the tailpeice seems too far away from the bridge

Fourthly, the body seems to be cut kind of short at the bottom

1. Logo is correct - that era they were level and the stroke width thicker

2. Headstock is slightly hidden by case upholstry - look at the other photo

3. Bridge is close to lower pickup on this model, good placement for PM - (IMHO)

4. Photo angle has caused a distorted view, if anything the body might be slightly

wider overall but the pickguard is slightly oversized, (as I recall), held in place by

single screw between the pups. This makes the guard appear bigger. Change

the cheap guard, get a matching neck plate, ditch the switch ring, add some

knobs, be amazed. I wish there was a shot of the neck joint, and I could tell

for sure...but it looks so much like mine did, it's surprising. All of the cosmetics

aside, I bet it's a player and a keeper.

Wedgie

OK. I'm getting tired of this crap. If you don't have real expertise in this area (and you know who you AREN'T)' date=' please don't offer these opinions. It's just getting boring.[/quote']

I have to agree. People seem to be so paranoid about fakes these days that every second guitar has got to be a fake. It's getting old. Yes, there are some tell tale signs to give away a fake, but for the most part the real deal outnumbers them.

Also, I've never come across a fake Epiphone here in NZ, aside from one recently that has a few tell tale signs of being a fake. Probably because we don't have a whole lot of guitar stores, and our market for guitars generally just isn't as large as overseas markets, so it's pointless trying to pass off fakes for such a small amount of potential sales, and just isn't as easy to slot them in unnoticed amongs the real deal. Probably sounds silly 'oh we don't get fakes here' but there is some truth behind it. And whilst we don't have as many stores from which to buy guitars, it's nice to know that we're reasonably safe from fakes.

Anyhow, back on topic, it sure seems like a nice guitar, and as I said I'd love a better SG. I did have my G-310 for sale recently, so perhaps I'll have to list it again in order to gather the funds to purchase this one. It's a tough decision, trading a new G-310 for a used, old G400.

Well I've sold my old el cheapo, plywood acoustic, so that's a start! I guess I'll see what happens with a few other things I've got for sale, and with the auction and maybe place a bid later on.

Guest alanhindle

Don't forget this is New Zealand we are talking about. Basically double the price in USD and add 50% to get the price in NZ. Even for used guitars. :-k

I did think about this but didn't realise you Kiwis have to pay that much over US (and to an extent UK) prices. So, NZ$300, if Swoop could get it for this price, would make it a killer deal then!

According to the ad. the owner bought it in the UK so this may be the reason for his low (for NZ) starting price.

No bids yet and no reserve so it's looking good for Swoop if he decides to go for it. Wedge is giving good signals about these versions of the G400 and it does look in nice condition. Go for it Swoop- life's too short! Let's hope there's nobody else waiting to pounce on it.

"Hard to trade a new 310 for an old G400" ??? Weird, that's exactly how I accquired the one I've been talking about.

I bought a new, perfect, 310 on Ebay. Had a setup and new strings done: hated hated hated the thing and couldn't

dump it quick enough to suit me. Traded it on the most neglected, forlorn, but not abused G400 you ever saw. EVEN.

Before long I realized this thing felt really good...and I started throwing money at it Three more G400s later, the "S" is

still the "One". It's the one I play the most, value the most, and would miss the most if anything ever happened to it.

I've got others more attractive or more expensive, or even that have had more time spent on modding them. That

doesn't have a thing to do with the bond I have with this one - I really can't explain it, it's deep in me, and it isn't that

"nursed back to health" thing either. I've modded just about every piece of gear I've owned so saving/refurbishing is

just part of it, and doesn't add any warm fuzziness to they way I feel about something. I only hope someday to find an instrument that feels even more "right" than this one does: seems like too much to hope for really..........

Wedgie

Archived