Gibson Brands Forums

fiting pickups to the body?

Stitch

could somebody explain this to me? preferably with pictures

is there a threaded grub or a wood screw or something involved?

mounting the pickups to the body would benefit me in some customising and im just wondering how to do it

cheers!

could somebody explain this to me? preferably with pictures is there a threaded grub or a wood screw or something involved? mounting the pickups to the body would benefit me in some customising and im just wondering how to do it

Stitch, lad, you have to be a little more specific. What kind of pickups? What kind of guitar body? There are a lot of variations, with the "traditional" Gibby styles dominating the field. With a little more info, I think we could help you out. Cheers.

its a "bitzer" ... lol

its a Epi LP Special 2 ....

im going to put a Duncan Design Tele' stack in the bridge and a G&B Lh-100 humbucker out of an ESP Ltd in the neck

i am eventually going to make a full face scratchplate but i want to do some fine tuning between now and when i get around to it

Let's take a stab at it. You say you want to mount a humbucker at the neck and a tele stack at the bridge. Here they are (I hope--even if they are a little different, the principles should be similar).

pickups.jpg

As you can see from the sketch at the top, a humbucker is suspended from its pickup ring (which you see in cutaway) by two long screws on either end of the pickup. (These screws are inside springs which provide tension, keeping the humbucker down in the body and keeping it from rattling.) Normally, the pickup ring is secured to the body by four screws, one in each corner. If you make a pickguard to cover much of the front (like an SG), you will want to suspend the pickup from IT instead of the pickup ring--you will then not need a pickup ring.

I think the tele stack will have to be secured to the bottom of the cavity routed in the body for the bridge humbucker. There are three screw holes and you may need fiber or plastic washers to use as spacers underneath to adjust the height of the pickup to approach the strings and to stick through your pickguard. Only the top oval part should stick through--you will hide the screws under the pickguard. Of course, you will want screws long enough to go through the pickup flange and spacers and into the body, but not THROUGH the body. You also may find that you have to enlarge the humbucker cavity slightly with a chisel or knife to accommodate the tele stack, but maybe not.

I hope these suggestions help. We have some other guitar tinkerers in this forum, including some that might pitch in and give you suggestions for your pickguard. Have fun, work safely, it sounds like it could be a fun project. Cheers.

Archived