Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Tuning Problem

zacringer

I have a 1998 Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top Heritage Cherry Sunburst. I really love the guitar. I am having some tuning problems. Everything is good except for the G string. It is always a little sharp even though I am using an electric tuner. The tuner works fine with my acoustic. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 1998 Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top Heritage Cherry Sunburst. I really love the guitar. I am having some tuning problems. Everything is good except for the G string. It is always a little sharp even though I am using an electric tuner. The tuner works fine with my acoustic. Any help would be appreciated.
If it's tuned to G using the tuner and goes sharp after playing, sounds like a nut problem....the slot is likely binding with the string, and it doesn't "slide" back to it's proper tension, and is slightly sharp (for lack of better words). Cheap fix - try lubing the nut slot with powdered graphite, or changing to a flat-wound G string, perhaps. If that doesn't solve it, perhaps the nut slot needs a slight filing by someone who knows what they're doing, here (take it to a luthier/tech/whomever).

*edit* or as MIDIMan mentioned, as well

Sharp when the string is open ... or as soon as you fret it somewhere on the neck? If its the latter, you need to check your intonation. There's lots of great info on how to do this on the net ... as well as some good videos on YouTune. Hope this helps!

Jim

Your 1st move should be to check/adjust G string intonation.

Detune and turn the saddle screws to move the saddle -- toward the nut for sharp, away from nut for flat.

Once intonation is correct, the problem may persist. Your choices then are to either:

1. buy/install a compensated nut (Buzz Feiten, etc.)

2. use a compensated tuning method (2 cents flat on G string)

3. or my personal favorite (has worked every time I've tried it) use a wound 3rd to do the fix.

Since I have no idea of your skill/experience, I will also mention to check/renew your stringing method -- many. many times tuning problems are due to sloppy/improperly wound strings on the tuning pegs.

WELCOME to the forum zacringer -- and luck to you!

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Archived