Gibson Brands Forums

LEE ROY PARNELL CUSTOM SHOP ES-336

TheTubeDude

Hi this is my first post. I have a Custom Shop color=black, antiqued ES-336, serial LRP019

This is a CS-336 (ES-336) that was made for Mr. Lee Roy Parnell . My understanding is that 37 were

made about 4 years ago. After 37 were made by the Gibson Custom Shop, Mr. Parnell picked

several for himself (at least 10 units). I was told 20 were sent out for sale. I bought LRP019. Long story; short:

It is the finest sounding, playing, looking ES-336 I have ever owned. I have a question about the

finish. My LRP had a dull black finish on all the wood. Metal parts (except fret wire) were corroded or rusted.

I hand buffed all the wood with swirl remover and finished it to a dazzling shiny black finish. Does anyone out there

own one of these? I would welcome emailing another owner (ex-owner).

Thank You

• 5 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Hey...new to this thread, but I think worth resurrecting.

I just bought a LRP-336. I have owned countless R6/7/8/9's. 336's, 339's, Guild Starfires, numerous Fender Custom Shop Nocasters and Strats and various Martin and Guild acoustics. I currently play a 2014 R8 and a 2011 '60 Strat

I have to say, I am totally blown away by this guitar. As I love big necks ( and yeah I wouldn't mind if this one was even bigger!!), this guitar is a joy to play. The tone is amazing, the fit/finish is awesome and it just looks so cool. It resonates like no other guitar I've owned. I can't believe I found this for sale.

The only problem I have is, I can not find any other owners, nor does Gibson have a shred of information on this guitar.

Mine is completely stock and will remain that way. I wouldn't change a thing. ( okay, maybe an RS kit when the pots finally go).

Any LRP-336 owners out there, please respond or PM me.

FullSizeRender-1_zpstoikmgnc.jpg

post-64694-043680800 1423669677_thumb.jpg

this is my truss rod cover....can someone tell me if this is an aftermarket "blingy" TRC or is this stock?

I really can't imagine anyone actually going and making this for the guitar as an aftermarket item. If so, I hope they bought curb feelers and fuzzy dice, as well...!!!!

FullSizeRender-9_zps7biadzqz.jpg

• 1 month later...

well, I've had the guitar for over 1 month and must say, this is an absolute tone monster. Even with the stock (yup, thats right, Gibson USA pots..!!! WTF..??) electronics, it sounds great. That will change for the better this week, as I've ordered a pre-wired RS vintage kit.

The things that amazes me is, I can not locate a single LRP 336 owner anywhere. I've gone through old posts/threads on this forum and countless others and still, there's no one out there who owns one. I emailed detailed photos to Gibson Customer Service and got no response. When I called them, I was told they have no info. NO INFO????

Anyway, If anyone knows anthing about the history or production numbers on this model, please email/PM me. If you have one and hate the big neck, I'm more than willing to own another one!!!

Dave

this is my truss rod cover....can someone tell me if this is an aftermarket "blingy" TRC or is this stock?

I really can't imagine anyone actually going and making this for the guitar as an aftermarket item. If so, I hope they bought curb feelers and fuzzy dice, as well...!!!!

FullSizeRender-9_zps7biadzqz.jpg

It must be an after market thing. I didn't get to see all 20 of the LRP's. But I did get to talk face to face to the Gibson fatory who seemed to know all lot

about these particular guitars. Yours is the first I have seen with that Truss rod cover. I have no thoughts of letting mine go.

Besides greats tone, playability and looks, it is also well balanced on a strap or over a knee.

in Cotati Ca

• 4 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Wow, just found this post. I am the lucky owner of LRP #001! As everyone says it is beautiful, has a huge yet awesome neck and tone to die for. It is one of my all-time favorite guitars and has toured up and down the West Coast. Definitely had more than one beer spilled on it. I feel a bit bad I didn’t put it away for safe keeping. Oh well, it was worth every minute!

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 7/3/2008 at 4:21 AM, TheTubeDude said:

Hi this is my first post. I have a Custom Shop color=black, antiqued ES-336, serial LRP019

This is a CS-336 (ES-336) that was made for Mr. Lee Roy Parnell . My understanding is that 37 were

made about 4 years ago. After 37 were made by the Gibson Custom Shop, Mr. Parnell picked

several for himself (at least 10 units). I was told 20 were sent out for sale. I bought LRP019. Long story; short:

It is the finest sounding, playing, looking ES-336 I have ever owned. I have a question about the

finish. My LRP had a dull black finish on all the wood. Metal parts (except fret wire) were corroded or rusted.

I hand buffed all the wood with swirl remover and finished it to a dazzling shiny black finish. Does anyone out there

own one of these? I would welcome emailing another owner (ex-owner).

Thank You

Hi Do you still have your Leroy Parnell 336? I have  LRP021 and I know two other people that own them did you get yours at Rocker Guitars in San Francisco. I know it has been along time since you posted this but I just came across it they are fantastic guitars and as you know they did not make a lot of them and they are very hard to come by. I worked for Gibson and Rocker Guitars was one of my customers he bought 4 of them  I think your guitar mine and the other two I know of make up the 4 Rocker guitars I  would very much like to talk to you about your guitar. You can email me at glennfranzen5@gmail.com.

On 3/21/2015 at 11:27 AM, TheTubeDude said:

It must be an after market thing. I didn't get to see all 20 of the LRP's. But I did get to talk face to face to the Gibson fatory who seemed to know all lot

about these particular guitars. Yours is the first I have seen with that Truss rod cover. I have no thoughts of letting mine go.

Besides greats tone, playability and looks, it is also well balanced on a strap or over a knee.

in Cotati Ca

Your Truss Rod cover is stock as it came from Gibson .