Gibson Brands Forums

putting a bigsby on a dot?

gibsonbass76

The lead guitarist in my band has been playing my Cherry Dot since I got it and he wants to put a Bigsby on it. I can't see any harm in this and have allowed him to put one on it. Obviously he's going to pay for it and a professional installation.

If i had a Bigsby on a guitar is would be 80% looks 20% use so i think it depends on how much you're going to use it or how much you really just want the look. I love the way guitars with a Bigsby look but I don't know how much I'd actually use it!

As a side note, it don't think it would affect its resale value if sold with bigsby on because obviously the Bigsby would boost the price and make the guitar stand out from all the other normal Dots.

I put mine on for the look in the first place, but now can't stop using it!

So if you like the way it looks, put it on. You might find it usefull later on. On other hand, if you not sure, then don't, cause guitar detunes quite easily. For me it's not a problem as I don't really mind tuning it every few songs, but it all depends on how much you're using it, and how hard you play with it.

I put mine on for the look in the first place' date=' but now can't stop using it!

So if you like the way it looks, put it on. You might find it usefull later on. On other hand, if you not sure, then don't, cause guitar detunes quite easily. For me it's not a problem as I don't really mind tuning it every few songs, but it all depends on how much you're using it, and how hard you play with it.

[/quote']

That was another one of my concerns, since I bought my dot I replaced the stock (non grover) tuners with actual grover tuners. I have never had a guitar stay in tune so well.

well, I mean from my experience, it's all up to how accurate you'll put it on. Cause slight offside and it will detune quite easily + remember that original whole at the back of guitar is not (almost never) in the very centre. So if you would try doing it yourself, measure, measure, measure again, then have some tea, measure it once again and only then drill. If you'll decide on doing it pm me and I'll upload here pictures of how I've done everything. Though there are few videos on youtube how to install bigsby, but all of them using original whole, so not covering case i've mentioned above.

You can also make dots.. or at least I can since I make guards..

I made some in abalone to match a sheratons inlays..

and you can make them in whatever material your pickguard is.. look better, I think, that just bushings.

the plate style looks good.. you can get them engraved..

all my attempts so far at engraving guard material have fallen flat.

one of these days I'll get that figured out.

Also, the stuff carves pretty nicely.. so you don't have to have just a plate style.. you could shape in in some fancy way

fairly easily.

Maybe when I get some time I'll do some out of my scrap pile and post pics.

for instance.. the dot inlay on the headstock.. shape the outer edges of the plate to match.. with just a thin bar between.. could even fancy that

part up a bit.

There's lot of things you could do with the plastic..

TWANG

I added A bigsby to my sheraton II and love it. my sheraton had gold hard ware and i couldnt find a gold bigsby for a decent price so i just put a sliver one on it. but i dont use it that much but its nice to know its there and it gives it a cool custom look. i did install it my self with the help of my father and it stays in tune pretty well. but i dont have the origanl tuners on it.

Andy, I found one place where they make keys, custom name tags etc. So gave them measurements and got it made for around ten quid. Don't search internet, cause i've tried that for ages with no luck/reasonable price. Better look around in your local area and I bet you'll find something.

Or I may forget about the Dot all together' date=' & put a Bigsby on my MIK Riviera, thus eliminating the goofy "Frequensator " tailpiece.

[img'][/img]SDC10142.jpg

THAT "GOOFY" FREQUENSATOR TAILPIECE IS THE ONLY THING I AM GOING TO BUY THIS GUITAR FOR (when i'll find one for reasonable price)!!!!!

ironic init?

THAT "GOOFY" FREQUENSATOR TAILPIECE IS THE ONLY THING I AM GOING TO BUY THIS GUITAR FOR (when i'll find one for reasonable price)!!!!!

ironic init?

No it's not - there's a reason they make all these different guitars with different pickups & shapes & colours. If one guitar could be all things to all people, guitar stores would only sell one guitar. To each, his own.

No it's not - there's a reason they make all these different guitars with different pickups & shapes & colours. If one guitar could be all things to all people' date=' guitar stores would only sell one guitar. To each, his own.[/quote']

I ment ironic, that you are going to put bigsby instead of frequensator, as you think it's goofy, and I'm ready to buy whole guitar just for the looks of frequensator =D>

Clarkus. absolutely best avatar online. *S*

Freq. tail TP 0433 001 nickel, TP 0433 002 gold

44.00/50.00 list price.

pm sent.

There's disagreement about it's effect. some say the reverse it.. so the low side is short, the high side long..

I've always wanted to try it both ways and see what the difference was on string tension.. how much one could feel.. how it affected

action.

TWANG

I ment ironic' date=' that you are going to put bigsby instead of frequensator, as you think it's goofy, and I'm ready to buy whole guitar just for the looks of frequensator =D> [/quote']

I knew what you meant. It doesn't suprise me that there are people out there whose likes & dislikes differ from mine.

Archived