DJB08

Hello friends...

Just thought I'd share my "collection"

Yamaha Classical/ EPI Hummingbird/ Gibson J-50/ EPI DOT/ EPI MM-30AS Mando

http://picasaweb.google.com/DavidJanesMusic/Guitars#5326475816676497298

http://picasaweb.google.com/DavidJanesMusic/Guitars#5326475831307455666

http://picasaweb.google.com/DavidJanesMusic/Guitars#5326475839034026098

http://picasaweb.google.com/DavidJanesMusic/Guitars#5326475843491631778

Sorry but, i couldn't get them to load on to the page. i followed the tutorial...don't know what i missed...O:)

geetar%20002.jpg

geetar%20003.jpg

Love this one.

(I found that, for the Picasa site, I had to click on the small picture to show it larger, then right-click on that picture and select "View Image", then right-click on the new picture and select "Copy Image Location". Then, back in my message, I clicked on the 'Image' icon and pasted the location between the markup tags.)

Beautiful guitars! I especially like the Hummingbird and the Dot. I used to have a late 60's/early 70's Gibson ES335TD (trapeze tailpiece, rectangular markers) that was a faded/semi-trans cherry color. A lot of the "Dots" are a cherry color now. I prefer the 'burst - I think it gives a more "vintage" feel - you don't see as many of them around.

Originally I wanted an all black Dot. But, they would have had to order it at GC.(I can be mildly impatient - plus i needed a new electric for THAT week) When i walked in and saw the Vintage Burst I was taken immediately and it sounded great right off the bat. I'm trying to tone down the gold a bit but, i'm quite pleased with my choice.

The hummingbird is a clear and bassy guitar. Great live and holds up well under any condition.

my J-50 is for writing and the studio mainly.

Very nice guitars. And I'm slightly jealous of that Fender twin. Ive heard great things about them.

here's an example of an (1) Blackface Twin Rev and (2) Silverface Fender Twin Reverb

Ive heard of this "blackface - silverface" thing mentioned with Fender amps many times.

What is it???...aside from the face plate difference.

Very nice guitars. And I'm slightly jealous of that Fender twin. Ive heard great things about them.

Ive heard of this "blackface - silverface" thing mentioned with Fender amps many times.

What is it???...aside from the face plate difference.

Well, most silverface amps haver a higher wattage at 100 Watts (1970-ish - 1978) or 135 Watts (1979-1982)..

Apart from that the Silverface Twins have a Push/-Pull Master volume which I think on can use to overdrive the amp without having to put it to max...

Other than that the Fender Logo is different. The 60's amps have a little trail und the fender logo. the early 70's ones (with 100 watts) have no trail und the logo. the late 70's ones (with 135 watts) have a "Made in USA" under the Logo.

Apart from that there's a slight difference in the colour of the grill cloth. The silverfaces have a bright silver cloth and the blackfaces have a less birght silver...

Many times the Silverface Fender amps are referred to as less warm (other than the more sought-after 60's models) which I think isn't true... Jack White uses Silverface amps and he gets pretty warm Tube tone out of it..

The Silverfaces are much cheaper then the blackfaces and are, if you ask for my opinion, the best bargain for a 100-135 tube amp there is...

Another thing. Some Fender amps have factory upgraded JBL speakers which are referred to as the best possible speakers for the twin as it underlines the amp's low-end pretty good (I have one with JBLs and they're great). So if you can grab one with JBLs go for it... they're worth the extra weight. With the JBLs your amp is a monster (weight-wise)... You'll need at least one helping person to get this thing from A to B. Having one with wheels will help alot. A flight-case is better, as it protects the amp from rippage of the grille-cloth and so on...

You dig? =D

JM

Archived