Gibson Brands Forums

I have a crack, becuase of location can it be fixed? DR-500m

claimed4all

I have a DR-500m guitar. I bought it used and was unaware of a small crack. I had a case humidifier and now I have purchased a sound hole humidifier and I am hoping it swells shut. The crack is on the back and does not bother me at all. Bought this guitar to play, not look at. It is almost dead center on the back toward the endpin, right where the inside back brace runs. So because of the location, what are my options to fix.

Can it be professionally fixed because of the interior back brace in the way?

Cleated?

Or should I just let it swell shut and leave it alone?

MEMO0010.jpg

See some of the other recent threads.

The crack you have started like mine down the back brace. The tech who did mine just ran wood glue down into that crack and whiped off the excess when dry.

My other crack that continued and opened the back of my guitar wide open, he did a combination of new bracing and glue.

I am not a repair expert, so I don't know where cleats would be used to close a crack vs running new bracing and tying it into the center back brace as was done on mine. Mine was so severe my tech felt cleats would not be a solid fix and he wanted to stabalize the back on my guitar from future issues.

If there are any repair experts here maybe they can give you an opinion, or you need to take it to someone who does this for a living.

I wonder how many more Masterbuilts are also having issues vs the memebers we know about here?

It is a shame because they are good sounding well put together guitars. The wood quality seems to be keeping them from being all around great guitars.

This is an easy fix.

If you have any hide glue available use it, or Crazy Glue will work.

Loosen the strings and tape to one side.

You can take them off if you like.

Put your hand in the soundhole and find the crack.

Gently, Very gently, push out at the center of the crack and lightly drip crazy glue in the crack.

If you have the Hide glue, do the same, but it's easier with the Hide glue.

With it you can really saturate the crack and just wipe off the excess with a damp cloth.

If you have clamps, clamp it.

If not just take masking tape and stretch it over the crack.

Only push the ends down, not on the crack.

Cover the crack with the tape and wait about 24 hours to dry good.

You should be all set.

If the crazy glu left some seaping on the outside, you can just flip it off.

Good Luck.

This is all in Dan Earlwines books.

I highly recommend getting it if you are interested in woring on your own guitars.

Don Teeter

the Acoustic Guitar

volume one

suggests other methods.

I suppose if dan says crazy glue is ok.. it must be.

I'd use wood glue. titebond.

The crack shouldn't really have to be clamped from side to side..

but from inside to outside. so it remains smooth and flat.

The only way I know of to do that is to drill a hole..

make a clamp out of a guitar tuner and some wood that fits the length of the crack..

tighten the tuner.. it presses it flat..

just don't be sloppy with the glue,.

But..

really I hate to tell anyone how to do something like that in a forum post.

TWANG

See some of the other recent threads.

The crack you have started like mine down the back brace. The tech who did mine just ran wood glue down into that crack and whiped off the excess when dry.

My other crack that continued and opened the back of my guitar wide open' date=' he did a combination of new bracing and glue.

I am not a repair expert, so I don't know where cleats would be used to close a crack vs running new bracing and tying it into the center back brace as was done on mine. Mine was so severe my tech felt cleats would not be a solid fix and he wanted to stabalize the back on my guitar from future issues.

If there are any repair experts here maybe they can give you an opinion, or you need to take it to someone who does this for a living.

I wonder how many more Masterbuilts are also having issues vs the memebers we know about here?

It is a shame because they are good sounding well put together guitars. The wood quality seems to be keeping them from being all around great guitars.[/quote']

Has anybody had any experience in trying to get Epiphone to repair a crack like this under the 'limited lifetime' warranty?

The warranty clearly states "Your new Epiphone instrument is warranted to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for the life of the original retail purchaser, subject to the limitations contained in this warranty."

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/WarrantyRegistration/Epiphone%20Warranty/

I brought it by the local authorized repair center and since the guitar was purchased a little over a year ago they didn't even want to contact Epiphone, they just said it's not covered and that any defects in the wood would have appeared in the first 3 months. They agreed to contact Epiphone in the end but we don't have an answer from Epiphone as of yet.

I would be surprised if you have any luck with your claim. They will cite improper storage and dry climate for causing the damage. This is beyond their control and solely your responsibility. I wish you luck with it but it's unlikely going to go your way.

Has anybody had any experience in trying to get Epiphone to repair a crack like this under the 'limited lifetime' warranty?

The warranty clearly states "Your new Epiphone instrument is warranted to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for the life of the original retail purchaser' date=' subject to the limitations contained in this warranty."

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/WarrantyRegistration/Epiphone%20Warranty/

I brought it by the local authorized repair center and since the guitar was purchased a little over a year ago they didn't even want to contact Epiphone, they just said it's not covered and that any defects in the wood would have appeared in the first 3 months. They agreed to contact Epiphone in the end but we don't have an answer from Epiphone as of yet.

[/quote']

You should contact Epiphone yourself. That's far more effective than relying on the shop.

Red 333

I would be surprised if you have any luck with your claim. They will cite improper storage and dry climate for causing the damage. This is beyond their control and solely your responsibility. I wish you luck with it but it's unlikely going to go your way.

Most likely yes they will say improper climate.

In my case mine was in my spare bedroom with a humidifier and a digital guage on the other end of the room, so I know what the humidity is. I keep the room 40-50% and mine still cracked wide open.

My 3 Gibson's are also in the same room with no problems:

J45 1942 reissue

Hummingbird Artist

J160E

I know how to care for guitars but mine cracked anyway. I did not want to argue about it with Epiphone so I just had it repaired on my own.

I have used the warranty in the past for my first EJ160E with a warped neck and had no issues. Epiphone replaced the guitar with a brand new one.

Cracks could come from various reasons. Epiphone does state warranty against defects and materials, so it may be worth a shot. The Masterbuilts do not seem to have a great reputation lately for long term stability.

I did order the book you guys recommended a few days ago, still waiting.

I am all for hide glueing, but... I can not get to the crack from the inside, its right where the backbone runs on the inside, so its covered by a piece of wood. I have been sinking the Humidity to it, the crack from the outside almost appears gone, but I still can feel it a touch and I can see it only in one direction of light. So the crack is swelling nicely. So what are my options from here, with out going to a shop.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Well the guitar is on it's way to Epiphone. I will let you guys know what they decide.

Most likely yes they will say improper climate.

In my case mine was in my spare bedroom with a humidifier and a digital guage on the other end of the room' date=' so I know what the humidity is. I keep the room 40-50% and mine still cracked wide open.

My 3 Gibson's are also in the same room with no problems:

J45 1942 reissue

Hummingbird Artist

J160E

I know how to care for guitars but mine cracked anyway. I did not want to argue about it with Epiphone so I just had it repaired on my own.

I have used the warranty in the past for my first EJ160E with a warped neck and had no issues. Epiphone replaced the guitar with a brand new one.

Cracks could come from various reasons. Epiphone does state warranty against defects and materials, so it may be worth a shot. The Masterbuilts do not seem to have a great reputation lately for long term stability.[/quote']

Might be best to fix it. Given it's location it is likely to grab your cardigan and either snag the sweater and / or loose a sliver of wood in the process. Get it fixed.

If you can push on the sides of the guitar, or push down on the back to close the crack, then:

Remove the obstructing brace, push up from the inside, near the zipper to open the crack a bit, get some hide glue in there then do whatever it took to get the crack to close up and stay closed up until the glue cools. Then re-install the brace and place a cleat or cleats whereever you think will do the most good, above or below the brace. The brace should serve as a cleat for part of the crack.

Better check the brace for cracking before you get started. You may also have a cracked brace.... which should have prevented this in this area.

Archived