Gibson Brands Forums

G-400 Facelift - Tell me what you think.

Rallye44

Ever since I got my G-400 for a song and a dance a few years ago ($275 new w/ HSC!) I've been doing things to give it a face lift, and I think I've got it to where I want it. Tell me what you think:

The whole shebang:

full.jpg

It all started with the strap. I love the old-school pin-stripe look of it, and it matches the shapes of the SG perfectly (the red and silver thread is actually metallic, so it really "pops" in the light =D> ).

strap.jpg

Next came the dice from Dice Knobs for control knobs. When I made my own dice tuner knobs I decided to make my own for the controls too, so these are the ones I made.

controls.jpg

Here are the tuner knobs I made. If you look closely you can see where I "hid" the set screws in one of the 6 dots.

tuners.jpg

The pickguard and trussrod cover came from Terrapin Guitars. I also replaced the black plastic humbucker mounting rings with real chrome metal ones and removed the covers from the pickups. Some day I might actually replace the PU's with a set of Hotrodded SD's.

pg_pu.jpg

Here's a side-by-side of the old and the new.

g400.jpg

new.jpg

What do you think?

Matt

You've done a FANTASTIC job!!! Very creative - MY first attempt PALES in

comparison (sigh....). OK, where did you learn HOW to do the body refinishing?

All I know is what I've read on the 'net, gave it a first run, can see where I made

mistakes. I DO want to re-do it, I like the potential results a lot!!!

You've done a FANTASTIC job!!! Very creative - MY first attempt PALES in

comparison (sigh....). OK' date=' where did you learn HOW to do the body refinishing?

All I know is what I've read on the 'net, gave it a first run, can see where I made

mistakes. I DO want to re-do it, I like the potential results a lot!!![/quote']

I think that is just a photographic faux pas.

You've done a FANTASTIC job!!! Very creative

THANKS!

OK' date=' where did you learn HOW to do the body refinishing?[/quote']

I actually didn't do anything with the body (other than polish it). ;) For some reason the red looks different in the pictures, probably because I don't have professional lighting equipment... The real (natural) color is the darker red, which I like. :D/

Matt

Archived