Gibson Brands Forums

Thinking of getting a joe pass emperor or a broadway

d.am

Thinking of getting a joe pass emperor or a broadway.

Can any one tell if they are versitile guitars.

I want to play jazz aswell as plug in to my dual rec to play downtuned heavy rock/metal.

r the feedback issues a really big problem?

will it take well to pedals ?

any other advice?

thank you

Thinking of getting a joe pass emperor or a broadway.

Can any one tell if they are versitile guitars.

Not as versatile as some others. The Broadway is basically a jazz archtop.

The Epi Emperor II (aka Joe Pass) is a thinner smaller version' date=' similar to an

ES-175 but with the venetian cutaway.

I want to play jazz aswell as plug in to my dual rec to play downtuned heavy rock/metal.

That's asking a lot from an hollow body archtop...you really need both, a full body archtop

for jazz and a LP for heavy rock.

r the feedback issues a really big problem?

Not so much on the JP, but more so on the Broadway. The more acoustic properties

a guitar has the more prevalent it is to feedback.

will it take well to pedals ?

Guitars are pretty much independent of pedals. Some guitars (like solid bodies)do sound better

with pedals though.

any other advice?

You really need to go to a guitar shop and try out different types...there is no

"one size fits all" in the guitar world.

Thanks for your reply carverman

Im actually selling 2 les pauls because they have killed my back from years of gigging as well as a mortgage to pay

so i appreciate that a les paul is a very good guitar for heavy rock. my favourite in fact

my question is will either of these 2 jazz guitars be a real problem if i use distortion via amp or pedal.

and does anyone have experience of doing this and gigging ad recording with them.

On many guitars one size does fit all for example both my les pauls sound great for everything.

However needs must so im looking to get an archtop semi hollow not too expensive and both these guitars seemed to fit the bill.

I will, of course go out to the guitar shops and try all of these. but if anyone has experience of what im trying to do i would be grateful for them sharing with me.

IMO, the JP shouldn't be a problem with distortion pedals or any other types of pedals if that is what

you want to do. I've got push-pull tone pots on mine and can select the original .047 caps (down)

or the LP (.022) in the up position for a bit brighter tone. And the sound you get will depend entirely

on the p_ups you use on the JP. On mine I use GFS vintage 59s, but I suppose you could use

mean-90s for more bite especially on rock.

Weight wise the JP is about 7lbs vs 8lbs for the Broadway. Compared to a LP around 10lbs, that

2lbs less will feel better because the weight is distributed over a large area of the guitar.

IMO, the Sheraton II is the best of both worlds. It's easily adaptable to jazz/rock. blues or any

other genres of music. Run it through a distortion or wah pedal and it sounds good no matter

what you're playing.

Archived