Gibson Brands Forums

Took the plunge, just ordered an Epi SG G400 Faded Vintage

mrbreeze

Yeah, Welcome to the forum!!! Believe it or not, we DO offer good, sage advice/info

for questions, we learn from each other here, from "those who have gone before".

We DO occasionally head off in odd directions, but that's half the fun!!!

Looking forward to the pix - "If you don't have pix, it didn't happen"!!! is the

MANTRA here, plus it helps us identify gits, problems, etc.

Appreciate your good humor for having your thread hi-jacked, then returned to

you. Would that be "un-jacked"?

The SG arrived Thursday...those are the first two pics I took....as I opened the Epiphone box.

Was already set up nicely out of the box...I just tuned it up. Starting playing some riffs on the neck pickup...sounded good...till I realized I didnt even have the vol or tone know all the way to 10!!..Then it really sounded sweet.

I really like the feel of the neck...very smooth...not sticky like some guitars ive had. I cant see changing the pups anytime soon.

Only had 30 min or so with it. Will get more time this weekend.

I just love the wood grain on this!!

Question.....what is recommended for cleaning/wiping down a faded model?

Use a clean, soft, dry cotton cloth on the body and strings after playing. For tougher smudges, add a little water or breath/saliva.

The finish is pretty tough, so you really don't have to worry much about it. You could even use a little mild soap if you have to. Just don't use anything organic and "smelly" (on general principles) and you won't have any problems. Cheers.

Mmm nice SG, I do like that faded cherry colour. I don't know why they insist on the orange selector switch tip though, it just looks odd! I noticed yours is sans binding. Seems to be somewhat of an inconsistency with Epiphone, some G400s get binding, and some don't. For something that's supposed to be faded, it sure looks to have plenty of sheen to it, the bridge and tail piece are reflected quite clearly in the finish.

That new guitar feeling certainly is good, taking it out of the box for the first, all nice, shiny, and clinical. I haven't had that for a while, my last couple of guitars have been used. You've given me wood for... well wood! I love being able to see some grain on a guitar. The G400 I'm looking at purchasing is Ebony. That means no grain, and a pain in the *** to keep clean! Having one black guitar (the LP custom) is bad enough! I do like it though and I really can't pass it up for the price. If only the seller would get back to me!

Anyway, enjoy the new axe! I think it'd look great with some chrome pickup rings and the pickup covers removed.

Sweet guitar! Excellent choice. Cleaning - Faded finishes are easy , NEVER use polish, you'll

have color inconsistencies. My LP Studio is "faded brown" and I use a...... CHAMIOS! the kind

buy at the auto parts store, smallest you can get so it'll fold up and fit in your git case. I

Actually use a Chamios on ALL my guitars, even the hi-gloss ones, add a bit of breath or

water dabbed on kleenex on the hard to remove spots/smudges. Soft, doesn't leave scratches,

streaks, etc.

• 7 months later...

Archived