Gibson Brands Forums

I need some playing/singing help..

EddieDean

First, I need a singing voice, but since that's out of the question, I ll have to go with what I've got.

What I really want to know is what is the best way to train myself to play a specific rhythm while singing in a different rhythm?

I do okay on typical strumming songs as the rhythm of the strum somewhat matches the rhythm of the singing, but where I'm really having trouble is on songs that have a heavy rhythmic strumming/muted-strum beat, such as the Intro to say... "Faith" (I like the Limp Biskit version better) or if you've seen the acoustic version of "Pour some sugar on me".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojm9jWPEJSc

I can get the strumming patterns down and play the snot out of 'em, but when I start trying to sing, the strumming pattern COMPLETELY falls apart very quickly.

I know there is no "trick" that will make it happen instantly for me, but I thought maybe someone can offer me some instruction....

Thanks,

Kev

you have just described my dilemma. first, my voice sounds like geese farts on a muggy day (i stole that from leo kottke as he described his singing voice) so, the urgency for me to sing doesn't really exist. but still, from time to time, the mood hits and the playing heads south. i can't imagine how singing drummers do it either. will watch this thread with hope of an answer!

There's always limitations to doing two things at the same time but it is doable. The best way to approach it is to practice until you can do it w/o thinking about it. I remember when singing while doing some strums and leads on an off beat rhythm was tough. But after you isolate the playing part and make it second nature, it's easier.

I think grOOved hit the nail on the head...practice until you don't have to think about either the playing, singing or both. Once you've played the song enough strumming and/or singing starts to become un-conscience. Eventually you won't even notice that you're nailing it.

Don't beat yourself up over it either. Try to stay light-hearted and enjoy the ride, some day you'll look back and be very surprised at how far you've come.

Honestly? Practice....... Your right hand (or left if you are a southpaw) has to be trained to move independently from your conscience effort of vocals, so ONE of them is going to have to learn to work without being made to do so. Start by tapping your toe or lightly patting your foot to the meter or beat of the song. It will help your picking hand become independent from your vocals. Main thing is worry about the lyrics, vocals, and fretting hand and let that picking or strumming hand learn to get its act together...

That's where you start !

Steve

I think grOOved said it perfectly....You have to practice until you don't even realize you are doing it. I have been playing solo acts around these parts for several years. After not being in a band for awhile, I thought I would have problems. I don't really even get the pre jitters anymore (a strong Jim B & Ginger Ale helps). Playing mostly cover songs people come and tell me what a good job I did on a certain song and sometimes I don't even remember playing it!

The main thing when playing especially for an audience is if you mess up... which we all do....never acknowledge it, just keep on playin'

Archived