Gibson Brands Forums

What's Your Rig?

littlekenny

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gibson Special Faded SG' date=' 15W small Squire amp that came with my first guitar, and a Boss Metal Zone Distortion pedal. Im wanting a new tube amp, any suggestions? Hows the Epiphone Half Stack?[/quote']

Hey GKingN! You really can not go wrong with the Valve Junior Half-stack!!!!! I can't recommend that set up enough, especially for home use and potential small live use. Mic'd it can do anything. Epiphone made some huge improvements to the current version. And for $249???!!!! Seriously!!!!!! There was absolutely nothing like this that sounds this good when I started playing almost 15 years ago. I vote YES on the Epi Valve Jr.!!!!! Try one out!!! Keep in mind that to get the amps natural tube distortion, you really have to be at about 1/3 of the the amps volume (which is glorious, but loud at that point!!). BUT, the Valve Jr. takes to pedals very nicely, so what you allready have for a distortion pedal would work great to give you distortion at really low volumes. Do it man!!!

Gibson Special Faded SG' date=' 15W small Squire amp that came with my first guitar, and a Boss Metal Zone Distortion pedal. Im wanting a new tube amp, any suggestions? Hows the Epiphone Half Stack?[/quote']

Don't want to hijack the thread, but from other threads you will want to look at these in that power range, depending on your budget:

Epi Valve Jr HS

Blackheart HS

Fender Blues Jr.

Vox AC15

Hope this helps!

Oh yeah! My two rigs! Not very exciting, but heres the deal........

Guitar:

06' Gibson Les Paul Standard Honeyburst

06' Gibson Les Paul Jr. GA-5 combo

Crappy old DOD Tec8 multi effects pedal (I'm working on it!)

(Play at home and record with this set-up, use the provided pedals/effects at studio when recording)

Bass:

08' Squier Seventies Vintage Modified P Bass Olympic White

08' Acoustic Amplification B200H head

08' Acoustic Amplification 1x15 Cab (within days)

08' Acoustic Amplification 4x10 Cab (within days)

(Gigging shortly with this set-up!)

Can't wait to get more stuff!!!

Don't want to hijack the thread' date=' but from other threads you will want to look at these in that power range, depending on your budget:

Epi Valve Jr HS

Blackheart HS

Fender Blues Jr.

Vox AC15

Hope this helps!

Good recommendations. +10 on the Blackheart. I got rid of two Epi VJ heads when I got the Little Giant. For the same price, the sound is much better - IMHO of course.

Guitar >>> CryBaby >>> Various boost pedals >>> DD6 Digital Delay >>> Marshall JCM 900 Or Huges and Kettner Mk II Tri Amp >>> 4X12 slant cab loaded with Celestion Rock Drivers ...

Boss TU -12H out through the effects loop out

R7 GT or LP STD LE Silverburst or Kramer Barretta or Ibanez RG 550-->Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah-->MXR Distortion III (can't seem to find a good tone from this' date=' soon to be replaced with a Boss MT-2)-->Korg PD4X Pandora(sometimes)-->Roland Micro Cube RX.[/quote']

Oooooh hows the new Cube RX???

2007 Gibson Les Paul Supreme (my avatar) through a 100W B-52 Head

and into a Marshall 1960 Half Stack (Celestion Speakers baby!)

Occasionally I bust out my Metal Zone pedal for the Randy Rhoads crunch (I played with that thing for hours to get it that way).

****For some reason I can't get the new Marshalls to sound like the old ones used throughout classic rock. B-52 blows them out of the water in that department IMHO.

Archived