Gibson Brands Forums

Identification challenge !

bigneil

Ok, My first electric guitar was an Epiphone strat of some sort. But i cant remember what type model number it was.

The challenge is to help me identify it.n8-[

So, i got it in 1988 it was a black strat copy with maple neck and fretboard. It had a vintage strat style bridge with 6 small screws along the front edge. It had 2 humbuckers only. The controls were set out like a strat with 1 volume and two tone and a 3 way selector switch. It had a black pointy headstock with Epiphone by gibson written on it....................

The reason i ask this task is 1),Curiosity, and 2), I would like to find and buy one so that i can get all nostalgic and maybe turn it into a project. After trawling google for pics of a guitar the same i found these, exact same guitar but with 3 SC PUPs instead of the 2 humbuckers my one had ~~~~~~~> guitar pics link

My guess would be a low end to midrange S-series model.

The Epi SSS strats were the S-310's

<--- My S-500 *was* an HSS with an F-spaced tremolo and locknut. I would imagine that yours falls in between the two somewhere.

Like I stated in another post this morning, these Epi strats are hard to get solid info on.

Ok' date=' My first electric guitar was an Epiphone strat of some sort. But i cant remember what type model number it was.

The challenge is to help me identify it.n8-[

So, i got it in 1988 it was a black strat copy with maple neck and fretboard. It had a vintage strat style bridge with 6 small screws along the front edge. It had 2 humbuckers only. The controls were set out like a strat with 1 volume and two tone and a 3 way selector switch. It had a black pointy headstock with Epiphone by gibson written on it....................

The reason i ask this task is 1),Curiosity, and 2), I would like to find and buy one so that i can get all nostalgic and maybe turn it into a project. After trawling google for pics of a guitar the same i found these, exact same guitar but with 3 SC PUPs instead of the 2 humbuckers my one had...[/quote']

In the 1986 price list, Epiphone lists a S-200 S-300 S-400 S-500 S-600. As far as I can tell, the S-300 was standard Strat configuration (later became S-310), the S-400 was S/S/H, and the S-500 and S-600 were deluxe models with shark's tooth inlays. That leaves the S-200, which had the same list price as the S-300. I did a quick check, didn't find anything, but by process of elimination, that's probably the one.

I've never happened upon an Epi strat HH. I've seen them come in SS like the Fender Duo-Sonics though.

But, yeah, by process of elimination, I think that Jerrymac is right.

It would also make sense if the numbers in the model represented the amouint of PUPs in them (210 = HH / 310 = SSS), but I'm just making that up. Beyond that the numbers go from stuff like "310" to 400, 500, 600, etc. Named slightly different than the rest of them...without the "10".

But, since Gibson/Epi decided to DELETE THE DAMN ARCHIVE last year, I guess we'll just keep on guessing.

Thank you very much guys' date=' i knew that some one would be able to help. have you noticed them up on eBay often? :)

[/quote']

I see alot of S-310's on Ebay, and a few of the 31-Series guitars. But thats usually all that is up there.

I would imagine that if you are diligent, you may find one eventually.

Thank you very much guys' date=' i knew that some one would be able to help. have you noticed them up on eBay often? :)

[/quote']I actually have one, but it's an HSS, and a rosewood fingerboard w/shark fin inlays. I contacted Gibson about it a few years back and they told me it was an S-600, made in 1985. Just give me a minute and I will post some pics.:-k

Ok, is this what your talking about?

dsc01084g.jpg

dsc01088b.jpg

dsc01091n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I believe you have an S-500 there. It's just like mine other than the EMGs. Weighs a ton. That was my first guitar and still plays great. Here is an ad that used to be on the back of Guitar for the Practicing Musician back in the day:

?action=view&current=epiphones.jpg

This is my first post here so the pic might not post. Here is the link: http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/torque91/?action=view&current=epiphones.jpg

I believe you have an S-500 there. It's just like mine other than the EMGs. Weighs a ton. That was my first guitar and still plays great. Here is an ad that used to be on the back of Guitar for the Practicing Musician back in the day:

Agreed. Looks just like mine as well, before I modded it. Although it makes me wonder what the differences are between the 500 and 600. I'm thinking hardware - like pickups, bridge etc. I know that on the higher models they used Steinberger and Floyd bridges on some of them...but I'm not sure exactly which models...

?action=view&current=epiphones.jpg

This is my first post here so the pic might not post. Here is the link: http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/torque91/?action=view&current=epiphones.jpg

That's what I meant, sorry. I think I put S-600, because right before i posted the pics, I was reading a post about one. I actually have the original ad from the '80s, it was in the case with the guitar when i bought it a few years ago. My favorite line on that ad is, "The Best Deal...Get more guitar for your money", because that thing DOES weigh a ton! One other thing I noticed about it is, the neck isn't solid, it's actually a 3 piece.

• 8 months later...

I have one of these gats too, I don't normally buy Strat shaped guitars (far too cliche!) but when I found an Epiphone Strat style guitar I thought I'd make an exception. I knew little about it until after I bought it, but after hunting around on the net a bit i came up with the following semi informed conclusions - it is a 1984 - 1985 S-500, assembled by Samick in Korea. In saying that, I've owned a heap of guitars in my day (including a 1970's Gibson Flying V - man, i sure wish I hadn't sold that!) and this one is one of the better ones I've played. It has a nice feel to it, it sounds great and as mentioned it weighs a ton! I put it down to the fact that the body is made of plywood.... : )

I don't think it has had a very hard life because there is very little fret wear and the paint work is in great condition other than a couple of dents on the edge of the body. All of the electrics are original and work perfectly and there is nothing missing from the guitar. It even still has the allen keys stuck to the back of the headstock for the locking nut and blocks...

Does anyone out there have any idea what these things are worth now? They have to be a bit of a rarity, surely? [confused]

Cheers! (Hope the pictures come out..... I'm new here and all.....)

1.jpg

2.jpg

They are probably worth only about a couple hundred dollars (US). They pickups arent really that great and the body is laminate, but otherwise a great guitar. The necks are fantastic! Also, 1986 was the first year of production for the S series.

Mine sat in a friend's basement for about 8 years and had to be redone. It was a fun project.

s5001.jpg

s5002.jpg

s5003.jpg

• 8 months later...

Hi all, this i my first post in ages and ages and ages! Yup i eventually found info on the internet ... my particular one was an early s200 before they made the headstock all girlie and rounded. the 200 came with H/H as standard. I still haven't bought one yet, when ever i get a spare couple hundred quid the car needs a repair or the washing machine stops working GRRRRRRRR!

Nice project guitar RTH.

Hi all, this i my first post in ages and ages and ages! Yup i eventually found info on the internet ... my particular one was an early s200 before they made the headstock all girlie and rounded. the 200 came with H/H as standard. I still haven't bought one yet, when ever i get a spare couple hundred quid the car needs a repair or the washing machine stops working GRRRRRRRR!

Nice project guitar RTH.

Thanks! If you have any pics of the S-200, please PLEASE post them. Its one of the last sets of pics I need for my Epiphone strat guide, and I cant find one anywhere.

Thanks! If you have any pics of the S-200, please PLEASE post them. Its one of the last sets of pics I need for my Epiphone strat guide, and I cant find one anywhere.

Sure, I still have an old pic of me in my bedroom at age 14 proudly playing it in my naff Christmas jumper. However, i will have to scan it or something first.

Unfortunatley, no, I cant use those. I need uninterupted shots of the guitar. Thanks though. I still appreciate it. At least I actually got to see a picture of one. Up until now, I wasnt sure that they actually existed. lol..

I'll keep on looking though...

EDIT: The guitar in the first post is a 1988 S-300. The other two are 1986-87 S-500's. I've learned a lot since this thread was originally posted.

Archived