Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Dot wiring harness diagram help

allan604

Hello all,

I am in the middle of changing the pickups on my Epi Dot using the original wiring harness. One of the red wire on the harness came off the solder while I was changing the pickup. Does anyone have a photo of the Epi Dot wiring harness? Any input or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Also, how can attach a photo?

Oh, no, man, whatever you do, don't cut the red wire! (boom)

The harness is the same whether it's a Dot, Les Paul or G-400. Two pickups, two volumes, two tones, one switch. However a G-400 is closer since it has its switch in the same area like the Dot does; the fact that the Les Paul switch is on the other end of the body complicates matters.

When you refer to the red wire, are you talking about the center conductor (which should have white insulation) or the coaxial shield wire?

You first have to find a place on the web to 'host' the photo. If you have a web page you can stick it in a folder there. Then you just post a link to the photo in your post between a pair of img tags. The little icon with the sun over the mountains will insert the img tags for you.

The wire coming from the four pin connector should most likely connect to one of the volume controls or the switch. I always re-wire my guitars to get rid of that connector so unfortunately I don't have any reference here...

2977_1048735424208_1400373951_30104982_8139253_n.jpg

here's the pciture of the Epi Dot wiring harness. Noticed that the red wire has come off the solder and now I have no idea where to solder that wire back. I should have taken a picture of the harness prior to starting the pickup project.

Thanks again for your reply RotcanX.

Best,

Allan

Why don't you dump that trash while you have it out?

Are you going to put all the original stuff back in?

I can't really tell by the pic..

but..

if you look at www.guitarelectronics.com

you'll find wiring diagrams.

You should be able to follow each wire from that.. and figure out what's wrong with yours.

If it were me, I'd replace the pots.. caps.. and probably the switch and jack now while I had it out.. and use decent wire.

Do you have a multi meter? you can trace the paths using the continuity function using that.

TWANG

You have only three pots?

Then you have to find a three pot diagram. volume volume tone..

Twang,

Thanks for your input. I'm thinking of putting the original pots, caps and wiring harness. I think I have figured out where the red wire go. It's really not hard to remove and install the pots on the Epi Dot and I think a standard CTS pot will fit in the F hole. The pot that came with the Epi are Alpha pot and it looks like the same size as the CTS pot. I didn't really have any issues pulling and putting the pots back on my Epi Dot.

I will definitely change the pots, caps and wires in my Epi in the near future but for now I think I'll just reuse the pots.

Allan

JCwillow,

Speaking of SD pickup, I will be using a SH-1 bridge and neck for the Epi Dot. Is this a good pu combo to start with? I actually have a SD SH-4 bridge and SH-2 jazz on my EPi SG and I love the pu combination.

Thanks,

Allan

JCwillow' date='

Speaking of SD pickup, I will be using a SH-1 bridge and neck for the Epi Dot. Is this a good pu combo to start with? I actually have a SD SH-4 bridge and SH-2 jazz on my EPi SG and I love the pu combination.

Thanks,

Allan[/quote']

I'm not familiar with the SH-1 pickup so I can't speak for it. I put a set of GFS Vintage 59s in my Dot and I love them. I think they were $70 for the set.

Twang is right about the CTS pots. I put a set in my G-400 and I had to make the holes larger so the pots would fit. I used to get my pots from GFS but now I get them from Stewmac. They are a higher quality of Alpha pots, brass shafts, and they definitely turn a whole lot smoother. They only cost a few pennies more.

If and when you do swap out the pots, switch and jack, get Switchcraft jacks. I think I had to make the hole larger for my switch too, I used a Switchcraft switch. They cost more, but they are worth it. You might as well toss in a couple of Sprague Orange Drop caps too. GFS sells them, as well as many others. I just like to buy as much stuff as I can from one place so I don't have to pay too much out in shipping.

On most epis the CTS full size has too large a shaft.

So be sure it fits.

also, CTS full size or minis have usa splines.. so metric knobs wont fit.

TWANG

Thanks Twang! Yes, I am actually aware of the CTS shaft size is slightly larger than the metric size pot. I usually get my matched CTS pot with Orange Sprangue cap from this guy who sells it on eBay. I have a set of matched CTS pots with orange sprague installed in my Epi SG and let me say that there's a huge improvement on tone and volume.

jcwillow- I will definitely change the pots,cap, jack and wire. I just placed an order for the matched CTS pot kit. I finished installing the SD pu on my Epi Dot. The pickups are great but I definitely need to change the pot, cap and jack.

Thanks again for all your input.

Allan

Archived