Gibson Brands Forums

just got my sheraton

VTMcGeary

well i got my sheraton today. ebony. my first epiphone. my first semi-hollowbody. when i first came on this forum i thought all you people were a little crazed and obsessed. i think i'm starting to get it now. this guitar is beautiful. haven't even changed the strings or set it up and it still plays great. i am a newbie to the hollowbody but the sustain blows me away.

anyone have any experience with factory seconds? i bought this as a second from sam ash online. 399. no shipping or tax. i've spent the last few hours going over this with a fine tooth comb and i cannot find a blemish. the fretboard has some dry spots but i cannot imagine that would make it a second. just curious. maybe i just got lucky.

beautiful guitar.

well i got my sheraton today. ebony. my first epiphone. my first semi-hollowbody. when i first came on this forum i thought all you people were a little crazed and obsessed. i think i'm starting to get it now. this guitar is beautiful. haven't even changed the strings or set it up and it still plays great. i am a newbie to the hollowbody but the sustain blows me away.

anyone have any experience with factory seconds? i bought this as a second from sam ash online. 399. no shipping or tax. i've spent the last few hours going over this with a fine tooth comb and i cannot find a blemish. the fretboard has some dry spots but i cannot imagine that would make it a second. just curious. maybe i just got lucky.

beautiful guitar.

$399??? Lucky ain't the word!!!

I've bought 2nds that were perfect, and I've bought first quality item that should have been 2nds. And it makes me wonder...

I've had my Sheraton II for a long time and wouldn't trade it for anything. I've even gone so far as to customize her. Her name is "Althea" and she's gotten better care than my girlfriend (at least that's what my girlfriend says). I hope that you can take a look at her here:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewAlbums&friendID=222698535

I've had this guitar for a little while and wanted to do a few upgrades. Yeah, I guess I could have purchased a "really good" guitar, but I liked this one. I started with a 1981 Epiphone Sheraton II. When I decided that I was going to put this guitar together, I thought long and hard about what pickups I was going to use. I had friends tell me to use about 20 different combinations (like they all knew what was best for the scars in my old rock & roll ears). I even went see what suggestions I would get from Gibson and all they had me getting was sloppy mud from their original Epiphone pickups. They told me that it would be just fine to stick with what the guitar was designed for. Not bloody likely! This guitar is made from some pretty nice woods. The maple is a fine wood that has great tones and the solid block at the base of the neck has great sustain. What it needed was a pickup to really pull that tone out of the wood and show off the sustain. So I chose the Seymour Duncan 59s matched just for this beauty.

So in the end, this is what I had done:

I took the guitar to one of the best luthiers in San Francisco, Doug Roomian. He not only repairs and upgrades existing guitars, but he has an incredibly fine line of his own electric guitars that play like butter. I prefer the mellow sound of a semi-hollowbody to the hardness of the solid or two-piece guitars. I asked Doug what should be done and he gave me a list of things that would have taken years to accomplish. I had been thinking about doing a simple inlay on the face for a couple of years so I thought that now was probably the time to do that as well. I found one of the best inlay artists on the planet right here in the San Francisco Bay Area, Larry Robinson (www.robinsoninlays.com). He had done the inlay work on the C.F. Martin 750,000th and 1,000,000th guitars and I sent him an email to see if he knew anyone who could do a little work for me. His answer both shocked and excited me to no end. He could do the work for me right then. I had a design, but Larry had a few ideas of his own. Given my budget constraints, I told him how much I had to work with and then just left it to him to do that voodoo that he do so well. Two weeks later I got back the guitar that you see in the pictures. I did have to take it back to Doug for final finishing and buffing (the face has been refinished with 8 coats of clear high-gloss polyurethane), but this is what I got. Tell me what you think of the changeover.

I had Doug do the following repairs:

He changed:

Tuners (Gold Schallers with Ebony knobs)

Pickups (Seymour Duncan 59s)

Knobs (Gold with Black Abalone Inlays)

Pickguard (Black Abalone)

Bridge and Saddles (Gold Schallers)

End Stop (Gold Schallers)

Wiring (American Made & Shielded)

Potentiometers (American Made)

Switch (Switchcraft 3-position)

Output Jack (Switchcraft)

Complete Fret Mill and Polishing with complete straightening of the neck and the neck angle

Larry Robinson used the following list of materials for the three inlays (Jerry, SYF, and Kokopelli on the 17th Fret):

Jerry:

Hair and Beard are Fine Silver (99.999% Pure Silver)

Glasses are Fine Silver (99.999% Pure Silver)

Face is Antique Ivory (over 100 years old)

Shirt Line is 18k Gold Dust

Nose Pieces are Mother of Pearl

Eyes are Black Abalone Pupils and Mother of Pearl

The Roses:

Mother of Pearl Stems

Pale Red Abalone Leaves

Black Mother of Pearl

Black Abalone

Pink Ivory Wood

Paua (Blue Abalone from New Zealand)

The Rings:

Red Abalone Heart

Mahogany

Red Abalone Heart

18k gold square wire

Steal Your Face:

Red Abalone Heart

Antique Ivory (over 100 years old)

Ebony

Pink Ivory Wood

Blue Plexiglas

Lightning Bolt is Black Abalone Heart

Kokopelli:

Pure White Mother of Pearl

beautiful guitar.

Mine is a factory second/refurb that I got from MF. I cannot find any obvious flaws. There may be a very subtle ripple in the finish (which would show up only on a glossy ebony finish). Other than that, I cannot find any flaws.

Mine is an Unsung Korea. How about yours?

thanks for the sentiment. i really couldn't believe the price either. i have been so nervous waiting for it to ship this week. for that price, i thought for sure the "minor blemish" would be a missing pickup or only 4 tuners. anyway, couldn't be happier. to quote the late great freddie king, i love it better than hogs love slop.

Welcome VTMcGeary. Yep, just a little crazy and slightly obsessive; these things do get under your skin. (I'll post a pic of my upgrades sometime!) Enjoy!

Tdibell, your description of your Sheri sounds amazing- it should have a thread of it's own. I can't view your pics as Myspace wants us to be friends- I'm sure we could be, but not through myspace :-); could you post pics on photobucket or similar and link in your thread so they appear here?

congrats, you got a killer deal !!

when you change strings, rub a small amount of Lemon oil (found in Wal Marts woodstain section) onto

your fretboard, that may help balance out the "dry spots".

I also got my Sherri at a discount, because it was a dirty floor model from GC that was missing

the plastic tip from its 3-way switch (which I made them replace before leaving the store).

a decent cleaning and oiling the fretboard made it look like new.

Enjoy it!

GarysCam066.jpg

Archived