Gibson Brands Forums

wax potting pickups

scottsgh

since i changed my p/u's to the gibson '57 classics, i get horrible feedback. not worth even plugging in. my tech told me he could wax pot them for $100. should i do this, or try a noise gate/ suprresor? it only does it with high gain. or could it be my amp? (a fender fm2-12, i know, i know) any help as always would be appreciated. thanx, scott

since i changed my p/u's to the gibson '57 classics' date=' i get horrible feedback. not worth even plugging in. my tech told me he could wax pot them for $100. should i do this, or try a noise gate/ suprresor? it only does it with high gain. or could it be my amp? (a fender fm2-12, i know, i know) any help as always would be appreciated. thanx, scott[/quote'] oh, and i'm grounded to the tailpiece post.

since i changed my p/u's to the gibson '57 classics' date=' i get horrible feedback. not worth even plugging in. my tech told me he could wax pot them for $100. should i do this, or try a noise gate/ suprresor? it only does it with high gain. or could it be my amp? (a fender fm2-12, i know, i know) any help as always would be appreciated. thanx, scott[/quote']

This happens no matter how far away from amp you are? No matter what volume level?

The Pups are REAL GIBSON? I'm asking as to inquire which is cheaper, wax pot or replace pups.

Real GIBBY pups ain't cheap, EPI 57s are very affordable. But the tech may be onto something:

But some guitars feed back uncontrollably causing a fierce whistle rather than anything you could possibly call an expressive effect. What causes this?

The answer is that the coil of the pickup is, or has become, microphonic. Coils degrade over time. Even without mistreatment, the lacquer that insulates adjacent turns of the coil will crack causing microscopic short circuits. But the worst case is when the winding isn't uniformly tight and some turns of the coil have become loose and free to vibrate. This is what causes uncontrollable feedback.

The solution to this is to 'pot' the pickups. This means dipping the pickup in hot wax so that all of the turns are physically sealed. You can easily use the power of the Internet to find out how to do this. But try it on a pickup you don't mind damaging first, not on your vintage Epiphone.

With potted pickups, you should be able to hold your guitar as close as you like to the speakers, while you remain in control of the degree of feedback all of the time.

I've never tried a DIY wax pot before, but if you're certain all other mechanical connections are

correct, then check out GaryM's suggestion...

yeah, there real gibsons, i know 'cause the the said they were! no, really, they have the pat stickers on the back. a-farm, i think your right about the p/us have become microphonic. i have changed the covers on both of these, and i got them used. so who knows how many times they've been messed with. that could have cracked the lacquer. i have checked the internet, and there's a thousand and one places. some say to remove the cover, otheres say keep them on. so you guy's don't reccomend a noise suppresser? i've never used on, but saw some guys on you tube demonstrating them, and they seemed to take care of the same prob. i'm having. some of the potting sites say use parafin wax, and some showing people using regular every day candles. i wonder if household candles are made if parrafin wax. i want to do this right. don't have an old p/u to test. has anyone heared if gfs p/u's? there advertised on guitar fetish, and am wondering if there any good. i took the '57 classic out of my epi. "v" and put the original back in. too hot! thanx, and will reply, so others who might have the same problem can use this info. scott

yeah' date=' there real gibsons, i know 'cause the the said they were! no, really, they have the pat stickers on the back. a-farm, i think your right about the p/us have become microphonic. i have changed the covers on both of these, and i got them used. so who knows how many times they've been messed with. that could have cracked the lacquer. i have checked the internet, and there's a thousand and one places. some say to remove the cover, otheres say keep them on. [/quote']

If they are genuine Gibson Classic 57s, then they are already double wax potted..doesn't

make sense. Anyone can stick a sticker on it that says paf.

some of the potting sites say use parafin wax, and some showing people using regular every day candles. i wonder if household candles are made if parrafin wax. i want to do this right. don't have an old p/u to test. has anyone heared if gfs p/u's? there advertised on guitar fetish, and am wondering if there any good.

Your are supposed to use 20% beeswax and 80% paraffin. If the pickup was designed for wax potting,

there should be a couple small holes in the corners for the wire to come out, the hot wax will run into

this hole if the p_up is dipped into a double boiler setup with hot wax.

I've used GFS vintage 59s and they are wax potted...good sounding p_ups.

hey guys, thanx for all the help. i noticed all the wax when i took the covers off. it was kind of hardened, and i scaped some of it off. live and learn. tomm, i will go to michals, and get what i need. keep ya posted. scott

Archived