Gibson Brands Forums

Strings keep breaking at the bridge!

IntelligentAl

Well this has never been an issue before, but lately I have had strings breaking at the bridge. Specifically, the D and Low E (strings that don't tend to break often). Is this a problem with the bridge or is there something I can do to fix it? I really don't want to have to buy a new bridge, but if this keeps on happening I'm going to have to keep spending more money on strings anyway.

Thanks for any help!

Well this has never been an issue before' date=' but lately I have had strings breaking at the bridge. Specifically, the D and Low E (strings that don't tend to break often). Is this a problem with the bridge or is there something I can do to fix it? I really don't want to have to buy a new bridge, but if this keeps on happening I'm going to have to keep spending more money on strings anyway.

Thanks for any help![/quote']

Check for burs and sharp edges on the saddles if there are you can file them down.

Well this has never been an issue before' date=' but lately I have had strings breaking at the bridge. Specifically, the D and Low E (strings that don't tend to break often). Is this a problem with the bridge or is there something I can do to fix it? I really don't want to have to buy a new bridge, but if this keeps on happening I'm going to have to keep spending more money on strings anyway.

Thanks for any help![/quote']

Might be a rough spot in the saddles, you could always try to smooth them out with some super fine sandpaper. A good quality tune-o-matic style bridge like a Gotoh would cost you about $20 give or take a buck or two.

Well this has never been an issue before...

So what's different? Have you changed string weights? Have you started/stopped using an electronic tuner? (Did you accidentally hit the button setting your tuner standard?) Are you playing a new type of music that involves more bends?

I think BluesLesPaul has it right.

It is easy to smooth out a sharp edge on a saddle.

Just be careful not to take it down too far. Even a few thousandths

can be too much, depending on how much adjustment you have left.

As far as I can tell, nothing is different. However, I took a closer look at the saddles and there are a few sharp edges so I will try smoothing them out a bit. I think if that doesn't work then I'm going to get some sort of replacement bridge.

Thanks for all the help!

Archived