Gibson Brands Forums

Hey Duane?

matiac

It's a 1972 SG 200 or 250..... One guy told me it's a Walnut SG250 because the headstock is the same finish as the rest of the guitar.... But who knows.

I'll tell you this, it is one sweet sounding guitar, and is built like a little tank. I've had this guitar since 1974, and the only issue I've ran into is the tuners needed to be changed.

279227.jpg

Does kinda look like walnut...I'm only asking because those particular pickups can be found on a Les Paul Recorder' date=' no? They're even kinda set up like the Lester too.[/quote']

To be honest I'm not sure if they're the same pups that are in the LP Recorder, but they sure do resemble them.

Pretty much the same though. Apart from a few extras on the L.P., the configurations pretty similar, right down to the walnut body, at least thats what it looks like on my monitor, the pickups are a tad wider on the Les. I wonder if they "buck the hum"?

First off, the SG 250 is walnut coloured. It is still made of mahogany, but remember in those years you basically had the choice of walnut or cherry finishes on SGs, plus cherry sunburst on the SG 250.

Doesn't look like there was an SG200 in 1972 (can't say for 1971); the only other low-end model in 1972 was the single-pickup SG 100. By 1973 these models had been replaced by the SG I and the SG II.

Second, the Les Paul Recording has special low-impedance pickups; those on the SG 250 are just everyday single coils. Probably the same pickups as in the Melody Makers.

hey Rotcan.. notice you have "House" in your avatar. I am very good friends with Hugh Laurie's nephew.

Too kewl. While I am a big fan of the House show and of Hugh Laurie in particular, I adopted his image to represent my bitter acerbic style on this forum. So watch out. :-

Archived