Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone buying 12 strings?

dbirchett

What is out there these days in good inexpensive 12 string electrics' date=' preferably hollow or semi-hollows? Anyone find any obscure or hidden gems?[/quote']

Oi, does it have to be Semi-Acoustic? Here's a nice one for ya...

Danelectro DC-12.... Very Nice sounding guitar, very vibrant and zingy... Peter Buck got one (pink sparkly, lol)

DSC02231.jpg

Yes Korea as far as I'm aware. What I meant by that was:

Alden was a UK company with guitars built in Korea.

Eastwood is a USA company with the same guitar - built in Korea.

Didn't want to confuse anyone so thanks for pointing that out.

Danelectro DC-12.... Very Nice sounding guitar' date=' very vibrant and zingy

[img']http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/Nirrik/DSC02231.jpg[/img]

Funny, I've got the exact same guitar. It doesn't do me a bit of good as I'm a lefty, but when I bought it, the price was right and it's one heck of a guitar.

dano_004.jpg

The U2 next to it; I am able to play.

As for the 12 string discussion here, I'm looking at the Agile lefty LP style 12 string. I'm curious as how they play and sound.

Funny' date=' I've got the exact same guitar. It doesn't do me a bit of good as I'm a lefty, but when I bought it, the price was right and it's one heck of a guitar.

[img']http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg218/maccraw/danelectro/dano_004.jpg[/img]

The U2 next to it; I am able to play.

As for the 12 string discussion here, I'm looking at the Agile lefty LP style 12 string. I'm curious as how they play and sound.

YAY! Found meself a Dano-Brother! =)

Now it's you, me and Peter Buck (and about 5000 other cool people)

How about an Agile Harm' date=' $369.

[center']harm3semibk121.jpg[/center]

I have one, a really nice axe.

Here's the Link to Rondo Music

Yeah, they are pretty good. Lerxst, who used to be here bought a Harm 12 string too, tobacco sunburst with toaster pickups. He had Twang make him a pickguard for it. It looks awesome! He says he loves it.

I have two Agiles, an AL-3100 and an AL3000M, both are awesome guitars. How do they sell them so cheap? No middleman. You buy direct from Rondo Music. I have been eyeing a Harm 12 string for quite a while now, but I'm waiting for the TS to become available again. It is supposed to be back up in August.

My only advice for anyone buying a 12-string is to make sure you like 12 strings in the first place and that you actually want one/going to enjoy having it. Every time I have a 12 string I'm constantly torn whether to keep it or sell it to fund my next project. It's a shame I don't get to play/use it enough live and recording but that's the way it is i suppose.

Mine will come in handy for my Beatles project but it's always at the back of my mind that I could trade it for a new six string toy.

With that in mind, I always think it's better to buy something dirt cheap or something with resale value. I bought mine for £210 and one sold on ebay for £350 the other day so I'll have no regrets if I ever have to sell it.

My only advice for anyone buying a 12-string is to make sure you like 12 strings in the first place and that you actually want one/going to enjoy having it. Every time I have a 12 string I'm constantly torn whether to keep it or sell it to fund my next project. It's a shame I don't get to play/use it enough live and recording but that's the way it is i suppose.

Mine will come in handy for my Beatles project but it's always at the back of my mind that I could trade it for a new six string toy.

With that in mind' date=' I always think it's better to buy something dirt cheap or something with resale value. I bought mine for £210 and one sold on ebay for £350 the other day so I'll have no regrets if I ever have to sell it.[/quote']

I, on the other hand, LOVE the sound of an electric 12, and could never picture myself being without at least one. It's been a big part of my sound for about 25 years now. Somehow, though, I could never pull the trigger on a Rickenbacker. They're just so darned expensive. And my Hagstrom has tons of jangly mojo.

But that Harm is pretty darned cool...

That's what I'm talking about. I like playing mine and love the sound it produces for me and the sound it's produced for lots of other people but I'm still struggling to put it into practical use and justify its place in my guitar rack.

My (Electric) 12-strings: (with a little "Miami" 320, in-between)

MyRickenbackers001.jpg

I too, am one of those, that has owned an Electric (Ric) 12-string, since 1968. Gotta have it...

These are 1980 Ric's....the darker one is a 360-12WB, with toaster pickups and vintage knobs,

and tailpiece added. The lighter one, is a 360-12 Vintage '64 Reissue. I paid (new) less for BOTH,

than ONE would cost now, by good margin. They were bought about 9 months apart, the darker one

purchased first, as the "Re-issues" were not out, yet.

CB

These are 1980 Ric's....the darker one is a 360-12WB' date=' with toaster pickups and vintage knobs,

and tailpiece added. The lighter one, is a 360-12 Vintage '64 Reissue. I paid (new) less for BOTH,

than ONE would cost now, by good margin. They were bought about 9 months apart, the darker one

purchased first, as the "Re-issues" were not out, yet.

CB[/quote']

I had a v64:

l_6e2ddd488b3245358dbfafac802c7ce1.jpg

I also changed my tailpiece, but the opposite way.

I also noticed your McCartney DVD box set that came out about a year and a half ago. I was quite disappointed with some of the obvious omissions and thought that they could have made it a bit more complete. I would have paid 3 times more if it had the content to justify the price. all in all though it's nice to have.

I restrung one of those "R" twelve strings recently... not my favourite thing to do

Well, I changed the "R" tailpiece because I hate changing strings with that one! The "Trapeze" is SO much easier/faster!

But, the "R" looks great, I admit. I haven't "Lennonized" the little Miami, because it came "Lennonized," and I wanted

it a bit more "unique" to me. So, I put the gold name plate and pickguards, and the "R" tail piece on it. It also stays in

tune a LOT better, with the "R," than the vibrato tailpiece. (But, I still have all the original parts...so, going back to

original spec's, is no problemo!)

As to the Macca "Box Set,"....hey, it is what it is. They never consult me, on these things...LOL! Besides, me thinks it's a

bit of "marketing," and room for another one, later...possibly? Why give us all, when they can stretch it out, and make

us spend more, over the longer haul? Kinda like "Gibson," and others, that way, huh? ;>)

CB

My (Electric) 12-strings: (with a little "Miami" 320' date=' in-between)

[img']http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq333/charliebrown1949/MyRickenbackers001.jpg[/img]

CB

Dang CB, Those are beautiful. Just a couple of problems. I can't (or at least the wife won't let me) afford them and my fingers are too fat for the skinny fingerboards. Other than those two things, I would be very interested.

Does anyone have any experience with the Ric clones?

Like the Italia Rimini?

563289.jpg

Or the Dillion Rockinbetter (I think it is the same as a Tokai):

drg4312.jpg

The Indie IRK-5:

irk5_12fg.jpg

Or the Unsung URK-512:

urk512.jpg

Not to mention the aforementioned Agile Harm 3 12 Toast:

harm3semi2tstoast5.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with the Ric clones?

The first guitar I ever bought was a ric 12 clone around 1966' date=' brand name [i']Ideal[/i]. I don't have the original, but I did find one a couple of years ago, but it's set up with 6 strings:

l_a27f793f1ff68494fe22913916a43047.jpg

The best I ever had was a Tokai, I should have kept it:

tokai12.jpg

I have a tobacco sunburst Agile Harm 3 Toast (with pickup mods). I just put it on eBay

!BRbv4Lw!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKj0EjlLmUlQIBJ99H,(thw~~_1.JPG

I have a tobacco sunburst Agile Harm 3 Toast (with pickup mods). I just put it on eBay

Jerry, what are the pickups that you put on there? I haven't seen aftermarket toasters with the two slots. Do you have a link for them? What do you think of them?

Also, why are you selling it? You spoke highly of it in your first post, or do you have one of the black ones with the chrome minis?

Archived