Gibson Brands Forums

tweed tone control gone amok!

Ok' date=' so i did the tweed tone control mod to my v2 combo using this schem:

http://amps.zugster.net/articles/tone-stacks ,

and I get loud high pitched hum and buzzing , almost static.

What did I do wrong? [/quote']

Dunno .... but registering and asking over at THIS site could be of great assistance.... not to say that you won't find it here, as there are very knowledgeable folks here, some of whom also go there .....

Wierd; I can access it at home but not at work.. or maybe coincidentally it's been down while at work and up when I'm at home. Anyways, I've had a number of good suggestions from the sewatt site so thanks for the link!

Some of the ideas on how to solve the problem were:

to scrape paint away from chassis and add a spiky washer ensuring a good ground; did that but still a little buzz left.

and do somthing with the spare dangly transformer wires; haven't done that yet.

Generally, hum is a result of poor grounding. Check your grounds per the schematic. You could also have a bad cap or an open resistor that lifts the signal from the tone circuit, similar to pulling the guitar cord out of the guitar, but in a tone circuit it could happen when plugged up normally.

If it worked before and didn't after you modified it....check your work!

Since Sewatt went to their new server & ISP in the fall of 08, I can never access them from home; only from work (they need a faster link but Particle can only afford so much).

Dave's right. when you start to introduce more parts grounding or lack of will generally cause hum.

I just read CGil's answer on sewatt the other day about the tweed pot and said don't put the ground jumper between it and the volume pot; but instead make sure you scrape the chassis around the tweed pot so the pot makes good connection to the chassis.

I had hum from my pot on r6/r7 combo I could never get rid of even with the coating scraped off the chassis. I coated over the scraped area with nail polish and the hum went away (?) Why I don't know, stopped a ground loop I guess.

Watch your cabling too, use some chopsticks to move the wires around and see if the hum decreases.

Archived