Gibson Brands Forums

New Amp = Better Player

The funny thing about swapping amps is that you'll play differently for different amps! A grungy, filthy amp will have you playing heavy, grungy filth. I jazzy cleanish amp will have you playing jazzy licks. A gritty amp will make you want to play blues.

Congrats on the "new" amp! She looks real purdy!

How true! This amp is so clear. The only issue I have with the tone is taming the highs. That might be in part due to the recent change in pups from the stock Epis to single coil Phat Cats. I went from a dark amp to a bright one.

O:)

Another gratuitous pic of mine. Seems it's just not bright enough for non-flash (which I prefer) when I'm home to take a pic. The tribulations of a working stiff...

both_amps.jpg

That's exactly why we go for the ultimate tone. Tone inspires the creative side of the brain in a way that communicates with the fingers. When the tone is right, my mind enters another dimension and I become (or think that I become) a better player, or at least an inspired player.

The only issue I have with the tone is taming the highs.

Two things will help that: New filter caps and a different speaker. Do the caps and rest of the chassis O/H first, and move on the speaker afterward, if need be.

This is an excerpt from an email I got from a tech near me. I'm more of a DIY guy myself, just not with amps (yet). Does this sound reasonable?

"The full checkup (including testing of all tubes, visual inspection of capacitor condition, DC voltage testing and power output test) and retrofit of a 3-prong cord would be about $75.

If it needs a cap job, add $50.00 or so."

Seems a bit high to me. I'm leaning towards learning how to do this myself.

Edit: Changed my mind. It's in the shop now. Should be ready in a week. ](*,)/

Archived