Gibson Brands Forums

A.S.A.P is this fake or original!

arerife

how can you tell a fake guitar from a non fake?

where do i buy my guitar then? ebay? guitarcenter? musicians friend? zzounds? where?

Buying from authorized Epiphone dealers would be the best way to go if you want to avoid fakes/factory 3rds etc...

MF, GC, ZZ etc... are authorized dealers. Ebay is not.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Advertising costs? What advertising costs? Epiphone pays those costs' date=' man... these guys don't exactly take out full page spreads in [i']Guitar Player[/i].

Shipping costs? Last time I checked, it's the eBay buyer that pays this.

Anyway, it's all moot. Unlike God, we can prove the existence of Epi fakes by... their existence. This isn't the first fake I've seen and it won't be the last.

What's that... is that a Les Paul Standard in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? Kind of hard to imagine too many of these 'walking away' with employees.

Plus, with the level of concern that Epiphone/Gibson has demonstrated over these counterfeits, I would assume that any 'rejects' or '3rds' make a trip to the bandsaw before being passed on to any 'recyclers'.

Advertising -- it costs $$ to advertise any product to sell -- eBay, Craigslist, classifieds, etc.

Shipping -- handling/shipping/packaging, somebody has to do it, and that costs $$

God/fakes -- mistaking a 3rd and calling it fake does not make it exist -- it's still a 3rd.

LP in the corner pocket, LOL -- Walk aways at midnight with a bribe and a smile by the truckload.

Gibson concern -- yes, and they have a right to be. Epi, what concern? Hiding in Gibson's smoke b/c it helps their cause (lower QC = more product from raw to market = higher profit).

---------------------------------------

SlagJones has it right... who wants one of these low quality 3rds anyway?

...but hey, dealers sell authorized junk right alongside the good ones. The only way to buy top-quality is to play/compare. If you want sight unseen internet deals, dealers will at least protect you with warranty/return policy, but that 1st or even 2nd may be as bad as any 3rd (or fake for those who continue to believe in ghosts) you would buy.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Advertising -- it costs $$ to advertise any product to sell -- eBay' date=' Craigslist, classifieds, etc.

Shipping -- handling/shipping/packaging, somebody has to do it, and that costs $$

[/quote']

At first, I thought you might actually have a point about these 3rds, but now I know you are just talking trash.

Craigslist is FREE to advertise (except for the "adult" section), and Ebay only charges a small fee - usually after the sale. Yeah, yeah, it's still a fee, but nothing compared to actual advertising costs or maintaining a website.

And you are technically correct. Somebody DOES have to pay for shipping/handling - THE BUYER. He paid almost half the pice of the guitar for shipping.

I realize this does nothing to prove the difference between 3rds and fakes, but your statements make you look like you have no idea what you are talking about.

LMAO we're 5 pages in debating this thing! How bout this: it's a real tangible object, whether Epiphone factory made it or not. Agreed? ](*,)

Way more interesting discussion: how RTH knows there is a fee in the 'Adult' section of Craigs List . . .

Craigslist is FREE to advertise (except for the "adult" section)

evilgrin0036.giflove0001.gif

Way more interesting discussion: how RTH knows there is a fee in the 'Adult' section of Craigs List . . .

evilgrin0036.giflove0001.gif

Hey' date=' what can I say? It gets lonely being a jerk, sometimes...'](*,)/

Oh, and I only read it for the "articles".

thanks to all your truthfully advise.

btw' date=' i just refund back that guitar and buy new one from the swee lee.

the official dealer.8-[ [/quote']

congrats man i hope this one works out for ya... when ya get it lets see some pics!!!

Seriously, does it matter if a guitar is fake as in made by someone not the real factory or fake as in a factory reject that never actually got destroyed the point is someone is selling it as the real deal and it isnt. Personally I would be inclined to believe that those that fail QC get spirited away to reappear later for sale, regardless of the stage in production where they were rejected. Assuming that rejects are supposed to be cut in half or something then the first guy I would investigate is the guy in charge of that process!

Either way, New guitar without QC sticker = fake. Harder with used guitars but I dont remove the QC stickers from mine just in case I decide to sell them on.

What would stop someone from buying a new guitar & moving the QC sticker from the real guitar to a fake one & then sell the fake? :-

Apparently you've missed all of the "how do I remove stickers" threads in here. Lol.

I work in the label industry, and I can tell you that stickers that small are dirt cheap if you buy enough of them. Even moreso in China, I would imagine.

At any rate, fakes, 3rds or whatever, if its not authorized, it might as well be fake. It wasnt good enough for QC and by no means should be sold as an Epiphone, let alone cost the same as the real deal.

• 2 weeks later...
If I read the #number correctly then...

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Qingdao Plant (Epiphone)' date=' China

July 2008

Production Number: 07485

Gibson: Qingdao

The Gibson Qingdao Plant was opened in October 2002, Qingdao, China. It is the only plant run by Epiphone in Asia.Both acoustic and electric guitars are made here. The factory is dedicated to making Epiphone and only Epiphone guitars with the aim of producing higher quality guitars.

[/quote']

thanks bro for your information about my guitar!

Archived