Gibson Brands Forums

Effects loop with Multi-fx unit as preamp

apdale

I've got a POD XT Live that I want to run into my VJr combo. The preferred way to run the POD is into a power amp since it has its own preamp. Does anyone have experience with running a POD or similar unit into the effects loop return? It sounds decent running through the front end of the amp but I suspect it might be a lot better if I install an effects loop in the amp and run it through that. One other question - why does the effects loop typically come before the second half of the 12AX7? for volume control? Is there a different place where I could put the input that would be after that? If someone has had better experience with some other method, let me know.

The usual FX loop jack is placed before the last preamp gain stage because it's a passive loop, and therefore needs the buffer the stage provides, and the gain boost. If the loop jack is located before the volume pot, then you can dial up a nice hot signal from the POD to compensate for any signal losses in a long cable run, and have final control over it at the amp's volume pot. And yes, the POD works great feeding a loop return. Works even better with two VJr's (with loops) for stereo.

Gil...

Archived